mascot
logo
The Facebook Platform
facebook twitter google+ rss youtube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiny side of the foil

vincent09

Default Shiny side of the foil

Just to clear up any confusion about which side of the foil to smoke on. It has no effect what-so-ever. There is no health hazard at all and no effects of smoking on either side.

There is only ONE reason that one side of the foil is shiny. The reason is: when the foil is rolled out, the dull side is the side that is not against the rollers. The shiny side is shiny because it is the side against the rollers, the friction causes this side to become shiny and "polished."

I read in the "Prepare A Hookah" link that you should smoke on the dull side because of health reasons, this is not true at all.

Do you have any reference to backup your claim?

vincent09

I will sure find some

vincent09

I found an article from Reynolds on this one time, but I can't seem to locate it now. I will post as soon as I find a reliable source.

vincent09

Aluminum foil is very pure- in fact it is 99.9% pure, with the .1% being various residues from the manufacturing process that are burned off at low temperature and other impurities found within the material.

Humans contact aluminum from various sources throughout their everyday routines. Common uses for aluminum are: food (naturally occurring) & food additives, antacids & other pharmaceuticals, cooking utensils, soil, drinking water, air, and electronics.

Aluminum has a shiny and a dull side- there is no difference to the two sides, this is caused by the manufacturing of aluminum. The sheets are too thin to cut one at a time, so they cut two pieces at a time, causing a shiny and dull side.

This was pulled from another forum. I will post an even more reliable source when I find one

Whoswho

you have to be clear that your not talking about Aluminium foil, and not just tin-foil.

Tin-foil is definity toxic when used to smoke. because of the vapors made when heat is applied.

Aluminum foil, will give off ion vapors which are connected to causing certain types of cancer and alzhiemers.

When aluminum foil is burnt by itself, it is non-toxic, however, this si because a stable (safe) product is made. By adding another player to the mix (shisha) the reaction is made unstable making a toxic mix.

however...this can be said for a few other things. because we cook with tin/aluminum foil. so why cant we use it to smoke with a hookah.

the thing is both are poisonous when used to smoke, they have both been linked to causing many other sicknesses. but since you can not truely claim that they are indeed the causes of said sicknesses... you cant really accept or deny that it is either safe or harmful. equivical? yeah, but thats the best answer i can make lol.

oh.
    Is there any proof that Alzheimer's disease is related to exposure to aluminum--for instance, by using aluminum frying pans? : Scientific American

"Aluminum (European spelling Aluminium) is harmful to all life forms. It damages all types of tissue. "Aluminum is a protoplasmic poison and a pernicious and persistent neurotoxin". No living systems use aluminium as part of a biochemical process. It has a tendency to accumulate in the brain and bones. It is considerably less toxic than mercury, arsenic, lead or cadmium, but it is much more common in our environment, it also appears to be more persistent than most of the others. The danger is one that only manifests itself over long periods of time. It is therefore prudent to avoid consumption. Avoidance is currently the best way of protecting you and your family from the serious, long term damage that can result from ingestion. Pregnant and lactating women, the young and the elderly are at risk. The most effective way of preserving your mental acuity in to your later years appears to be eliminating the sources of aluminum in the diet."

^^^(last paragraphy cited from)Aluminum

its true, jsut take a look at a good ole chemistry book., that part of that last site is true, not sure about his/her sources though.

Whoswho

hope that helped, cause this is like the second post i've seen mentioning it lol

vincent09

Well, I think that formerly it HAS in fact been connected to being dangerous because I'm pretty sure that they used to use chemicals in the foil to make it non-stick and such. However I think that they no longer do that now days. Like I said, I remember reading an article once that Reynolds Wrap put out explaining that it is completely safe and the difference in the shiny/dull side is because of how it is rolled out/cut.

Either way, I suppose that both views are very debateable, so this is a lost cause. I will continue to believe that it is completely safe, other will continue to believe it's not. Done deal

Thanks for the info guys, and Vince if you find that article please post it here as well

tpatt90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast