Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokerings07

At a crossroads for a location

After a month or so of cold shoulders and disinterest, I've found two places and I need your advice!

1st Location:

1,900 sq ft and $1580/mo. rent (very cheap!). In West End Nashville, near Vanderbilt University and two other hookah lounges, so great location. Was an old dentist office, so a lot of renovation to do as far as knocking down walls to open space, and general electric and plumbing work. Has serious potential if renovation costs don't kill me and I can do most of it myself (besides plumbing and electricity). Fairly easy marketability being so close to campuses.

2nd Location:

2,000-2,500 sq ft and $12 psf. In a new up-and-coming side of town which used to be run-down, but they've been renovating and restoring a lot of this property so easy to find it cheap. The property managers are my age and are looking to take this 3 story industrial factory and turn it into a kickin' place for arts and creative ppls, retail and restaurants. Since it is still in the gutting phases of renovation, I can stake my claim and tell them how to build it out just the way I want. The rent is dirt cheap for Nashville. All these businesses will be opening about the same time and I will know all of the tenants and will be working alongside them, so great opportunity for cross-promotional, plus the view of the skyline is phenomenal. BUT!! the 1st floor will take 6 months to get ready, and then they do the second floor (which is where I'll be).

So the question is... take a chance on renovation of a spot in the West End, or wait it out to work with a growing side of town and be a part of something neat as well as a customized location.

Any comments, suggestions, and questions are very welcome.

My vote would be for the second location, but I would really have to see each space and know more about the area to really feel confident in choosing one over the other.

Is either side walking distance to bars/ restaurants / lounges?

I have a really small place myself (600 ft) but the location is perfect. I wouldn't exchange walking to all the places for a place even twice the size of mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]184[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]185[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]187[/ATTACH]1st location on West End.

To answer some questions, neither place is within walking distance to bars and such. Not many places in Nashville are with the exception of 2nd street. According to all the realtors I spoke with, 2nd street property is very hard to come by. But this 1st location is on the same street as a few clubs, a 24 hr hoppin' coffee bar, a music venue, and another hookah lounge.

Here is the second location.

Germantown 100 Taylor St Creating arts community - building out now!

There is discussion of the bottom right picture being my space (though this place is huge and has tons of space). The renovations are coming along quickly, and he told me today it could be ready in 45-90 days. If you'll notice, the bottom right has a stage, so currently the idea is to keep the stage for live music, and to build a loft, where both the bottom floor and the top floor will be able to watch the stage. It's only a concept and the owner hasn't committed to my kind of business yet. But within this facility is already a restaurant that has committed as well as several art joints. It would be great for cross-promotion and B2B relationships.

Of course, have vision when viewing these pics. Already today, all the white paint on the exterior of the building was blasted off to showcase the original brickwork. This place will be a real gem in a year or less.

Well, spoke with the first location guy, and have an amazing vision for that place. But renovation would be a little more costly than I can afford right now, so I will probably have to pass it up.

Well, spoke with the first location guy, and have an amazing vision for that place. But renovation would be a little more costly than I can afford right now, so I will probably have to pass it up.

That's too bad. Hopefully the second place will work out for you.