Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokerings07

Induction Burners

Question

Does anybody know if induction electric burners heat up natural coals quickly? I bought a cast-iron plate for the lounge, and as it turns out, it takes 15 min to fully heat a Coco... so now I need to either buy an induction or a regular coil burner, and wondered if anybody has had experience with it before.

6 answers to this question

Are you talking about glass top, like the electric ranges? I have heard about guys lighting coals on those. I light them on my range with cast iron hobs. If you want to use the hob style, make sure it is a 1500 watt not the 900 watt. You probably got the 900 watt rated one.

edm

I bought a plug-in 1300 watt Cast Iron Plate Burner... and it sucked.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I14C7I/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

I light Coco's on my glass top stove in 5 min flat, so I was wondering what plug-in can compare to that. Induction is where the heat is very focused in one area and the outside of the burner remains cool to the touch.

That's just it though, haha. I don't want to pay $70 for a burner (like I did the last one) if it doesn't heat coals in 5min or less. I wonder if I could just get one at Walmart and test it out and send it back right after...

BUT, if induction does work, then that looks like a good one to get!

Editor's Note: Ahhh, actually maybe not. I noticed this feature on others too. "The auto-pan detection will shut the unit automatically after 60 seconds if no cookware is detected" Bad news bears.