Chrono6902

I want t ien a hookah lounge

This is my first post on here I been smoking hookahfor a while now and I am getting a etlemeny and wamt to.open my own I live in las vegas, nv and want to make mine better an differemt from yhe rest of them here anyone got good tips on to make it different and better, I want to be unique from the rest..

• Like 1

Have lots of money....Las Vegas has the starbuzz lounge. One of the top lounges in the country. You'd have to make your mark selling every kind of shisha and having the best other hookah brands have to offer as far as pipes go.

• Like 1

Yes money will definitely be important but so will an angle that will want to make people go to your lounge and not starbuzz's lounge. For example: I wouldn't go to starbuzz's lounge because I don't like the brand, so you would need to offer a different brand that will make me go to your lounge. I would say serve every other brand that is NOT starbuzz.

Another angle I recently saw is from Adam of hookah and beyond. He sold his house in L.A. to move all the way to Tennessee to open his own hookah lounge. His angle? All his hookahs will be starbuzz hookahs with a lotus on top and pure tobacco. If you ask me, that's a hell of a great angle. Give people what they think is the best of the best and you have a winning lounge.

So that's my contribution. Think of a great angle that will bring people in and you can have a small lounge just as successful as starbuzz

• Like 2

The points above are great, but it doesn't matter if you have some super elite shisha brand that no other lounge in the world sells.

You have to provide great customer service, a great atmosphere, and a reason for people to come back.

You cannot open your doors with cheap drapes and furnishings, sub-par seating, poor signage, and low-quality materials to save a buck.  At least not if you want to survive more than 6 months, especially in a city that is both a travel destination and a destination for luxury and excess.

Hire a developer to build you a quality website (and not a family member) and ask about SEO and other promotion options.  Hire a designer to create your menus, logos, everything you will need, and design images for you for your Facebook Page (yes, you need to have one, and a professional copywriter should be posting content unless you're 100% competent your grammar and spelling is perfect, and yes, your Facebook Page should be updated at least a half-dozen times a week with photos, specials, etc.).  Don't buy Ikea furniture or it'll be broken in 3 months.  6 months, tops.  Have some people come in and tell you their true, honest thoughts after the place is decorated and ready to go - do they say it looks great, or it looks like a dirty whorehouse?  Take every person's advice into consideration, from the web developer and designer, to your friends and family, to others that will give you a brutally honest opinion - it may be your business, and with that responsibility comes the responsibility that your business is only as good as the people that come to it.

Most importantly, train your staff well!  Make sure they're attentive to their customers and not sitting in the back playing games or staring at their phone, and that they can pack a hookah quickly and easily.  Little things like:

• When the customer places their order, the waiter/waitress should say something like "it will take about 10 minutes to get your hookah going, and I will personally ensure it's perfect when it comes out.  Can I bring you anything else?" instead of just saying "ok" and walking away.
  • If something's not right and the customer complains, don't say "yes, it is right, you're not doing it right," take the time to kindly explain how a hookah works, why it works how it does, and, if there generally is something wrong, offer a replacement or a discount (though be careful about giving away too much).
  • Make sure things like cell phones and other personal belongings are not out on the floor.  Nothing pisses me off more in a busy restaurant than seeing an employee not doing anything, playing Candy Crush on their phone, or texting their boyfriend or girlfriend of the week, particularly when I need something.  It's okay to be a friendly boss, but your employees and staff need to know it's not play time - it's work time, and they should be doing their job.

A customer will overlook a place not being this beautifully-designed million-dollar establishment if they feel welcomed and have a great time, and that's attributed to your staff taking care of your customers.

Edited by TheEightyFour
  • Like 3

I think the bigger question is where in Las Vegas you want to open the bar/lounge at. The main competition, as mentioned before, is the Starbuzz Lounge that captures 3 potential sources of customers: Tourists, Students, Locals. Its position is near perfect for attracting tons of business and is not that much of a drive to get to. The west side of Las Vegas is littered with tons of hookah lounges and smoke shops, the eastern side is dominated by Starbuzz so it would be unwise to look into a shop here unless you can partner with a brand and get a very swank setup going. The best bet would be to aim for opening one to the northern part of the city at or beyond Fremont Street. 

Setting up shop near Fremont street would allow you to capture the huge crowds that come every night for the light shows under the covered walkway, as well as to tap into local clientele that have no lounges servicing them. You also will not be in danger of being out competed by the other strip lounges as much. You could also go out into the suburbs of the city and set up shop somewhere on Boulder Freeway as there is an extreme lack of lounges out there, but plenty of shopping areas and malls for the locals. Just my two cents on setting up shop down there, I have grandparents that live down there so I know the areas rather well. 

• Like 1

If you have some time send me a message. I'd love to get together with a fellow smoker and go over ideas/concepts. I don't want to spend a half hour typing out what's wrong with the places we have here and what you can do to make it right. Mainly because I don't want to bash the bigger places on a forum hahahaha

I'll load us some nakhla or something a little lighter on nicotine possibly and show you every single thing I have learned from my experiences working at a few here.

As everyone said you need A TON of money. If that wasn't the case there would be a "DudeWhere'sTheHookahLounge" here in town already :D

Edited by DudeWhere'sMyHookah
  • Like 2

The biggest point i'll divulge here is make your own tobacco. NO lounge does that here as they ride the starbuzz or cuzzins train way too hard. Nothing wrong with that but be original.

• Like 2

The biggest point i'll divulge here is make your own tobacco. NO lounge does that here as they ride the starbuzz or cuzzins train way too hard. Nothing wrong with that but be original.

^^^^ This. I know where I live Starbuzz and Fumari are the go to brands. Only two places in a fifty mile radius of me offer anything beyond those two brands, and not a single lounge that I have been to makes its own shish. That would definitely set you apart from the others.

• Like 1

I think the bigger question is where in Las Vegas you want to open the bar/lounge at. The main competition, as mentioned before, is the Starbuzz Lounge that captures 3 potential sources of customers: Tourists, Students, Locals. Its position is near perfect for attracting tons of business and is not that much of a drive to get to. The west side of Las Vegas is littered with tons of hookah lounges and smoke shops, the eastern side is dominated by Starbuzz so it would be unwise to look into a shop here unless you can partner with a brand and get a very swank setup going. The best bet would be to aim for opening one to the northern part of the city at or beyond Fremont Street. 

Setting up shop near Fremont street would allow you to capture the huge crowds that come every night for the light shows under the covered walkway, as well as to tap into local clientele that have no lounges servicing them. You also will not be in danger of being out competed by the other strip lounges as much. You could also go out into the suburbs of the city and set up shop somewhere on Boulder Freeway as there is an extreme lack of lounges out there, but plenty of shopping areas and malls for the locals. Just my two cents on setting up shop down there, I have grandparents that live down there so I know the areas rather well. 

I'm not an expert  on fremmont st. but with that kind of foot traffic I would think that wherever you set up shop might be a good idea to have outside tables if they are allowed. That or just have  big window with the tables right up against it for those people that like to people watch. When I visit Freemont street all I think is being outside and walking around with a drink checking out the bands that are playing, but if I was with the right person, I could go to a lounge and have a hookah. :)

Edited by dd0723
  • Like 2

I'm not an expert  on fremmont st. but with that kind of foot traffic I would think that wherever you set up shop might be a good idea to have outside tables if they are allowed. That or just have  big window with the tables right up against it for those people that like to people watch. When I visit Freemont street all I think is being outside and walking around with a drink checking out the bands that are playing, but if I was with the right person, I could go to a lounge and have a hookah. :)

Most certainly. I know several restaurants on that strip have outdoor seating which would be a perfect thing to use especially with all the people wanting to be outside to watch the light show thing they do. 

• Like 1

Most certainly. I know several restaurants on that strip have outdoor seating which would be a perfect thing to use especially with all the people wanting to be outside to watch the light show thing they do. 

Yeah the light show is pretty cool. If you can get a location where you can watch the light show and the zip ride thing, then people sitting with a hookah and admiring the show would be very profitable AND I would make sure to stop by for a hookah next time i'm in Las Vegas.