Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokerings07

Any health problems lately w/ hookah?

Question

Of course, owning a lounge, I smoke at least 2 sessions every day I work on top of all the hookahs I start. Well, our ShishaVac does most of the work, but there is still quality control for flavor and clouds before taking the hookah out to the guest.

Lately, I've been getting mouth sores, and I'm positive its from hookah, especially since I smoke mostly Tangiers. Does anybody else experience this?

Could it possibly be a cold sore from multiple people using your hoses? Many people have the respect to not go to a hookah bar and share hoses or at least use a mouth tip when sick but all it takes is one sick person to use a public hose and sickness can spread.

Good thought, but no its nothing related to that. For one, we sanitize all mouthpieces with rubbing alcohol constantly. Second, the sores develop in the gums, might be irritated for a day or two, then go away. Also soreness in throat is a problem as well.

Guest heathenfather04

You might try a different brand of shisha, I smoke almost everyday and it is usually fantasia brand of one flavor or another!

I have never experienced this, but I was never that heavy of a hookah smoker, especially not tangiers(one bowl knocks me the eff out lol), so that could be why. I'm curious to know what happened though!

I've never had an issue except for a cough from smoking too much at once. I smoke about 2-3 times a day, my last check up the doctor said I was perfectly healthy and that the hookah is fine to smoke

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

That’s awesome that your doctor said that!

I personally like to smoke when I am having allergy or sinus issues. Heck when my hubby and I had a real bad cold the mint hookah was the only thing that offered relief. It was mint tobacco (or lemon mint) with lots of menthol crystals in the base. Cold, minty relief

I use Nakhla Mizo Mint to help clear up sinus issues, I'm not allergic to anything though so that must suck.

Yeah my doctor actually took her time and researched about hookahs and she said she doesn't find an issue with me smoking so long as if I do get an issue I have to go to her immediately

Yea that's pretty cool ur doctor said that. There's a lot of back and forth I've been seeing on articles saying hookah is worse than cigarettes... I call BS...

Sent from my HTC One V using Hookah.org mobile app

I've read that too but the tobacco isn't being directly burned by the coals like how cigarettes burn.

Exactly. And the amount of chemicals in cigarette tobacco is outrageous.

The only thing that makes it worse is the length of the session and the possible sharing of the hoses.

The only thing that makes it worse is the length of the session and the possible sharing of the hoses.

I was thinking the same given that i usually smoke alone for about 2 hours every day. Sometimes longer or more than one bowl, depending on the day. I just look at it as flavor steam, but i do wonder what could be the repercussions.

the biggest issue is there aren't any real studies out there on it, and the ones that are there compare ignited cigarette tobacco to ignited shisha tobacco, which obviously isn't how shisha tobacco is smoked. I have no doubt there are health issues with it, but I've never heard of a hookah smoker get cancer unless they smoke cigs on a normal basis as well.

I've had sinus issues my whole life but I know that, without a doubt, they came from growing up with my dad for 23 years of my life, that was a 2 pack a day smoker, and I've definitely smoked cigs and cloves and cigars in my life as well. the only thing I'll have now outside of hookah is an occasional clove, cigar, or pipe, and it's rare, and the occasional disposable hookah e-pen. but just smoking one clove cigar (man, I miss the clove cigarettes) will screw up my sinuses for a couple days. even vaping can mess my throat up. I can smoke multiple hookah sessions in a day and feel fine. and, if I don't smoke one day, I don't feel like I'm gonna kill everyone to get a nicotine fix.

I don't care what scientific studies say on the topic - the equivalent of "200 cigarettes" worth of smoking is a lie. that being said, you're still inhaling a smoke/vapor that doesn't occur naturally in the air, some carbon monoxide, and you're getting nicotine. it does have some health drawbacks.

Right I agree. The method of which a hookah is smoked is completely different from cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes from about 15 to 21 and couldnt do much as far as physical fitness goes. Here I am now smoking hookah twice a day and I can bang out a 2 mile run in about 13 mins no problem. Like you said its definitely not good for your health to smoke anything but I don't think hookah and cigarettes are on the same level.

I agree with all of you, I'm sure there are some health risks but it should not be considered the same thing as cigs and it needs its own studies done so everyone can know for sure. Hopefully someone out there is working on something solid, because hookah doesn't seem to be a dying trend, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

The longer no studies are done and people assume and spat out guesses and rumors, the worse people are going to see it and eventually it will lead to bans, etc.

People are getting smart though. It isn't hard to see people who have smoked hookah for years or for their whole life and they are perfectly healthy. You can't say the same about cigarette smokers. What I am worried about is the big tobacco companies to be doing the studies or something so that hookahs seem worse than cigarettes.

Cigarettes and hookah smoking are definitely not on the same level at all. Cigs has way too many chemicals that get you addicted to them and is tobacco consumed by burning it. There's no way in hell hookah can compare to that. Now, i smoke regular cigs. I've been a smoker since i was 16 or 17 years old, and the satisfaction i get from smoking hookahs is waaaaaaay better than smoking a cig. Since i started smoking hookah regularly, I've cut smoking regular cigs tremendously, and I'm actually very happy about that. Besides, the hookah community is super amazing.

I've tried getting my friends to switch from cigarettes to hookah. They say the only thing they like about hookah is the clouds and flavor but not the lowered nicotine level. They won't even smoke the hookah if they are out of cigarettes.

Wow, i've never heard of this problem. My friends and I only smoke on occassion though. One friend says he runs better after a session of smoking, the rest say it does them worse for running. But other than having a slight difficulty breathing we have had no issues.

Sent from my C5155 using Hookah.org mobile app

I've tried getting my friends to switch from cigarettes to hookah. They say the only thing they like about hookah is the clouds and flavor but not the lowered nicotine level. They won't even smoke the hookah if they are out of cigarettes.

Oh wow really? I feel that hookah is actually helping me get off cigs for good finally. I even smoke some hydro herbal now and then when i don't want more nicotine for the rest of the night. If anything, hookah is a great "tool" to help leaving cigs behind for good.

Oh wow really? I feel that hookah is actually helping me get off cigs for good finally. I even smoke some hydro herbal now and then when i don't want more nicotine for the rest of the night. If anything, hookah is a great "tool" to help leaving cigs behind for good.

It might just be that my friends are too addicted to nicotine and they cannot handle a difference in it. I used to smoke cigars and hookah got me away from that. Now I only have a cigar once every 6 months.

I have friends who smoke but they are very once in a while smokers. We used to take the hookah up to the smoke shack and those people were always so excited to see it. I guess it might be a college thing that hookah is common practice.

Sent from my C5155 using Hookah.org mobile app

Hookah helped up give up cigarettes. Now there is a set time and place to smoke. It isn’t as easy as buying a pack and smoking one. Now it takes time and effort if we want to smoke. We have to set up the hookah, know we are going to be home for at least an hour to enjoy it, and then clean the hookah up.