nintyplayer

How to Super-Clean a Hookah?

Question

So I've discovered that the factory taste in my KM isn't from the hose, which makes me feel that I should clean it pretty intensely. Any tips on cleaning beyond hot water and a pipe cleaner?

• Like 1

39 answers to this question

From what I've read lemon juice is always a good easy solution, some people use water mixed with oxyclean free, I just use some seriously hot water and get the proper cleaning tools

• Like 1

Yeah I did one clean of my mya after purchase with lemon juice and a proper brush and it smokes great. Remember mya does have a very uneven inside to there pipes so a proper brush is important.

• Like 1

Also I was reading people sometimes put their hookahs (just stem/bowl/base, no grommets) in a pot, fill it with cheap white vinegar and let it boil for about 20min, they say that does the trick for like super cleansing odd tastes out of the hookah

• Like 1

Also I was reading people sometimes put their hookahs (just stem/bowl/base, no grommets) in a pot, fill it with cheap white vinegar and let it boil for about 20min, they say that does the trick for like super cleansing odd tastes out of the hookah

None of my stems are small enough to do this with....

I find that very hot water and a good scrubbing do the trick for me.

• Like 1

None of my stems are small enough to do this with....

I find that very hot water and a good scrubbing do the trick for me.

I really couldn't agree more about the size issue, I'm not sure how any of these people can do it with like a KM stem unless they use like a giant pasta pot or crab pot. And yea standard cleaning has always worked for me

• Like 1

I've always had good luck with lime juice (because I'm not a lemon fan and LOVE lime, so I almost always have some on hand). They're about the same in acidity. Most cleanings of mine are simply water as hot as I can stand it, and either DFW (if I have some on hand) or some coarse salt, and the appropriate brushes.

I personally steer clear of salt when cleaning hoses though. It just weirds me out - I don't think it needs that degree of abrasion.

• Like 1

I have a problem. I just bought a mya qt from a friend and they used it to smoke pot out of. I think kinda regularly. I only paid 20 bucks for it, what is the best way to clean all the resin out of it? Is it even salvageable? I don't smoke pot at all, and can't due to work issues. Please help!

Sent from my XT907

• Like 1

I have a problem. I just bought a mya qt from a friend and they used it to smoke pot out of. I think kinda regularly. I only paid 20 bucks for it, what is the best way to clean all the resin out of it? Is it even salvageable? I don't smoke pot at all, and can't due to work issues. Please help!

Sent from my XT907

I feel like you should be able to deep clean it just like you would any other hookah. Use acids (lemon juice, lime juice, etc.) to clean the stem and vase, and maybe even let the base soak overnight with a mixture of water and lemon juice. It probably wouldn't hurt to pick up a new bowl and set of grommets, and you'll more than likely want a new hose, but wait until you get the rest of it clean first.

• Like 1

Yeah I've got plenty of hoses and grommets. I found a cleaning solution for pipes and such called formula 710, apparently its pretty good stuff.

Sent from my XT907

• Like 1

My friend got a hookah that had the same issue. He used lemon juice and got water. Took him a total of 5 days of cleaning it to get the smell and resin completely out of it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

• Like 1

I found a cleaning solution used for glass clay and metal pieces called Formula 710 that looks pretty promising. I think I'm gonna try it out

Sent from my XT907

• Like 1

Yeah that would do the trick. I wonder if it will only take one cleaning or multiple with the solution

• Like 1

Yeah that would do the trick. I wonder if it will only take one cleaning or multiple with the solution

I'm going to buy 2 16oz bottles just incase.

Sent from my XT907

• Like 1

How did the hookah turn out? Is it nice and clean or does it need another soaking

• Like 1

Since the inside is pitted brass it didn't get it all out. I'm going to boil it when I get home and if that doesn't work I'm turning it into a lamp Lol.

Sent from my XT907

• Like 1

I hope that's water + solution. Otherwise, that hookah's disgusting.

The solution is orange to begin with

Sent from my XT907

• Like 1