Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AsDaylightDies

I wonder...

Question

Guest AsDaylightDies

I heard that using aluminum foil or aluminum screens is harmful (Alzheimer's, cancer, etc) although smoking anything is bad for you....

i was just curious what everyone else thought.

and i was also curioius if there was any alternatives to aluminum foil, aluminum based screens.

:confused:

13 answers to this question

Aluminum foils are harmful, but only the shiny side.

So, you should always put the shiny side down so that it doesn't burn and get into the tobacco.

The alternative is to use the metal screens, but they are not good for smoking at all. They let too much air in and absorb a good amount of the coal heat too

300_big.jpg

Guest AsDaylightDies

hmm...see. i heard about the harmful effects of aluminum, then i did research online. Well, all i heard was " BAD BAD BAD BADBADBAD " So i thought....hmm this could be bad.

so why is only the shiny side bad? wouldn't the coal heat the whole thing up and the fumes go through the pipe?

Yes, the coal does heat the whole thing, but heats the bottom part less.

It has to do with the material that is used to coat the shiny part.

I've seen some Egyptians smoke without foil. Just coals on tobacco. But I'm sure it was a different kind. No molasses or anything, obviously.

I've never seen that. thats a first... I dont think it would smoke well anyways. (too much burned smell)

Guest AsDaylightDies

so like, is there actually any significant harm just using that small amount of foil? and doesnt it have to get to a certain degree before the metallic properties start to go in the shisha?

I'm not sure, but I would be interested in seeing some studies that is done with no bias...

Guest AsDaylightDies

ya, see, most of the stuff i've read was done by ppl with lots of bias, they disagreed with smoking all together, said that smoking out of a hookah is worse than smoking cigerettes.

so i'm not real sure.

Exactly, that is what I've always seen too...

For example I've heard that studies have shown that smoking one hookah gives as much as smoke as 100 cigarettes, but what it fails to talk about is the fact, that hookah tobacco has considerably less (close to zero) amount of nicotine and other cigarette substances....

Guest boxoldnn

I have also seen those studies -- the biggest thing that I found wrong with them is that they compare one hookah session to one cigarette, which obviously is not an appropriate comparison since one hookah session is much longer than one cigarette. The studies I have seen also don't account for the fact that the average hookah smoker smokes much less frequently than the average cigarette smoker.

Guest Roomys

People cook with aluminium foil all the time i dont see fanatics jumping up and down about that?? I think its a farse and dont let it get to you,.....until you start coughing up blood that is.

Roomys

Smoking Since 2004