Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokerings07

A Real Treat - Antique Hookah

Question

So my friend, who's in-laws lived in Saudi Arabia for some time, showed me their old hookah in their basement. I wanted to buy it but they are attached. However, they are okay with allowing us to restore it to its former glory and possibly display it in our lounge. So here goes... I am wondering if anybody can help me identify its origins as well as any tips on restoration. Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Basically when I try to upload as an attachment, or even insert a picture, none of my past uploads' thumbnails show the picture of what they are, and when I try to upload a new photo, it doesn't show up in my "inventory". It goes through the motion but nothing shows, and no error signs

Some things to note... I originally thought the top was created for a Syrian style bowl until I saw the actual bowl it came with, which leads me to think the top has broken off somehow. Also, the hose adapter is broken off so I'm wondering if I can carve out some of the metal there so the wooden tip of the hose can plug in like on a Regal stem. I don't want to deter from the value of the hookah of course.

Oh also the base has no purge valve.

Im not the most knowledgable but i would say either indian or syrain possibly from what i understand both cultures used brass more and most older style hookah sets ive seen on various internet sights that have handles are indian but thats just my guess

I dont see any pictures either. Did you try to upload the picture?

He posted them to the Cloud 9 page because he was having trouble with uploading them here.

It looks Indian. I've handled a couple of these in the past and the style shows up on ebay pretty regularly, but this does appear to be an old pipe. I'm assuming the bowl is huge and made from either clay or brass. These pipes are used almost exclusively for tombac and similar tobaccos. The top of the stem is broken, it's missing the tray and you may want to open it up to see if it has a down stem. Many hookahs in this style were made to use wooden down stems that were meant to be replaced.

Yup. I've handled them in the past. Most of them have been damaged or destroyed after years of abuse. A lot of these wind up in antique shops because at one time they were one of the most readily available hookahs and people bought them for nefarious purposes, not realizing that it's a terrible idea.