Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nima

Question about the app

Question

Our current app is one that i bought from VBulletin (same company that makes our forum software). They've been saying they're releasing an update to fix all the issues for 9 months now and I'm tired of it. I want to move us to a new app where everything works and we can have push notifications.

The other apps that I can buy and make available to everyone are expensive (License fees of $500 a year and higher). Despite what you might think I don't make much money from Hookah.org. i put most of the money back into the website for improvements, articles and advertising on other websites.

My question is how do you feel about getting a new app and charging a one time $1.95 fee for it (free lifetime updates after that)?

16 answers to this question

I think 1.95 $ sounds good to me and by you making a new app I think more people will join cuz of the 1.95 $ people will use it more..just have to make the app awesome and you will get lots of people coming in..:)

part of the app registration needs to ask if user is over the age of 18. and to provide their birth date.and deny them if they are not 18.

edm

Hmm, I had set it to ask the question. By law only people over 18 can be on this forum Kevin.

Perhaps theirs a way to get what you seek in a cheaper way. I told you before that i work for a wholesale distibutor in california, and upon releasing our websight soon one of our ideas was a smartphone app. If your interested maybe i can speak with the owner and see if he can get the liscence you seek and have you manage it, im not sure if the app will cost anything if he does this but its a suggestion to help.

Thanks hookahmankyle. Our app is going to be too complex to have it developed and would only work with specific Forum software packages. i'd also like to be the license holder for it.

I've decided to go ahead with the new app (its about $500 a year). We need an improved app and specially one for iPhone (our iphone app hasn't been working for a while). I'll test charging for the app and see how users react and adjust accordingly.

So I bought the app....I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to replace our current app with it or I have to release a completely new app (seems more likely).

Also I decided to make the app free but I'll need your help to promote it so we can boost the forum's traffic and participation.