Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kalutika

Syrian Hookah Craze

Question

I have always been a fan of Syrian hookahs over some of the other options, but there has been a massive increase in interest lately now that Syrian pipes are hard to come by.

What do you think about the fickle nature of hookah fads? Are Syrians worth the inflated price tags simply because they are rarer today than they once were? Should Syrian hookahs have been getting more attention all along?

11 answers to this question

It's hard to say if they are worth the extra money, but I tend to lean toward yes if you can find a quality pipe that you enjoy looking at. There is a lot of quality control issues coming with most hookahs anymore. So if you find a new up and comer, that makes a great pipe, I would say they are worth the price.

As for the fickle nature of the hookah community...I don't know that that will change as long as you have a rush of new young smokers each and every year.

By the way, my first real, ie not chinese, hookah was a syrian. They deserve way more attention than they have gotten in recent years. They started out as the pipe to get, but faded to egyptian popularity.

Back when I first started smoking, there was a devoted following for Syrian pipes and I feel that is was well earned. They were cheap, beautiful and well made. They never had the mass market popularity of their Egyptian cousins because the Egyptians had the open draw that was touted as the best, but they held their own. It was more of an appreciation for classic designs that drew Syrian hookah fans to their pipes. It was just a matter of taste even though they were cheaper and less sought out than other designs.

My major concern with the current trend is that the Syrian pipes are being touted as god sent and artificially inflated to ambrosial status. With this kind of product fanaticism comes a lot of elitism that is really not conducive to the community and camaraderie that we should be trying to foster. I've been seeing a lot of people getting competitive and nasty over their own collections while acting as if the pipes they own translates into some kind of hookah mastery.

I am a fan of Syrian pipes and I have been for years. I own pipes that are now considered to be very rare and would sell for a lot of money. Does this make me better than someone else? Not in the slightest. My collection is nothing more than a reflection of my tastes; not my status.

Back when I first started smoking, there was a devoted following for Syrian pipes and I feel that is was well earned. They were cheap, beautiful and well made. They never had the mass market popularity of their Egyptian cousins because the Egyptians had the open draw that was touted as the best, but they held their own. It was more of an appreciation for classic designs that drew Syrian hookah fans to their pipes. It was just a matter of taste even though they were cheaper and less sought out than other designs.

My major concern with the current trend is that the Syrian pipes are being touted as god sent and artificially inflated to ambrosial status. With this kind of product fanaticism comes a lot of elitism that is really not conducive to the community and camaraderie that we should be trying to foster. I've been seeing a lot of people getting competitive and nasty over their own collections while acting as if the pipes they own translates into some kind of hookah mastery.

I am a fan of Syrian pipes and I have been for years. I own pipes that are now considered to be very rare and would sell for a lot of money. Does this make me better than someone else? Not in the slightest. My collection is nothing more than a reflection of my tastes; not my status.

Exactly..

I have two hookahs, and neither of them are brand name, nor 'popular brands'. But they are mine, and I have given each a personal touch...

But as my collection grows, a Syrian will probably end up in there sometime...

Elitism is rampant in the hookah community, which is what drew me to this forum in particular, because there isn't that sense here (even though I'm not as active as I'd like to be). I don't understand how people can't see that that pretentiousness is obnoxious, both to new and seasoned smokers alike.

I have many pipes and love them all, I have 3 Lebanese pipes, 2 Turkish, will be adding a couple Syrians in the near future. Oh and a bunch of Egyptians, total of 12 right now. I don't feel elitist at all, just an old redneck from MO. Also have chronic TAD (tobacco acquisition disorder).

edm

I love that. Chronic TAD. Sounds like what i have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I definitely would love to have a syrian, but they are so hard to find now and the price is up there as well. I'm happy with my current collection, but will be getting a new bigger pipe sometime this year. Right now I have 2 small egyptian pipes(Nammor Furat for reviews, no name solid brass egyptian for everything else), the rest are at home in Pittsburgh still.

Me too I'd love a Syrian hookah but for now I'm happy with what I have. I love the look of Syrians though

Sent from my HTC One V using Hookah.org mobile app

I'd love to get my hands on a really good el nefes. I like nour hookahs a lot too but they are pretty overpriced in my local shops and virtually nonexistent on the main hookah vendors websites.

It just depends on preference and what you want to look at when you smoke. Some older guys I have talked to swear by the more restricted draw of Syrian and say KM will wash out the flavor because too much air is getting in.........yeah, I know. hahaha Anyway both are beautiful Syrian options, el nefes being a more accessible option.

I said in a post last year scoop up a Syrian because of all the shit that was happening, that statement is more true than ever.