thelastofusaregone

Milk in the base and general hookah set up

Question

I've seen a a couple how to get more smoke or deeper clouds for some reason I can't upload my pics or vids but 100% everyone should be adding ice into the base. Do that first and make sure the ice stops around where you want to fill your water (surprisingly enough when ice melts it doesn't add that much additional water) I use Brita filtered water but that's cause I'm a weener. And milk does most definitely make your smoke thicker and deeper and it actually makes the siesha taste better. But don't add too much because milk makes the water very thick so when it perks it will shoot into your hose and you'll end up drinking some nasty milk water. I suggest a proper filtration piece that goes onto the bottom of your stem. You can buy it at hookah-shisha.com . It helps with the pull and makes the water bubble nicely. Makes less sound and your hookah doesn't shake around like crazy ( if that's a problem..usually is with smaller pieces). And also make sure you know what sheesh you're working with. Different types of dampness will most definitely affect your clouds if you don't know what you're packing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Hookah.org mobile app

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

Also I thought it wouldn't hurt to add another thread about how to make big clouds. If anyone has additional questions on general setup pm me. Hopefully I'll be able to upload pics and vids soon

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Hookah.org mobile app

• Like 1

An Egyptian hookah vendor in NYC told me to never ever put milk in the base because it's bad for your lungs; more dangerous than regular smoking. He said he's been smoking for 20 years and he never uses milk. Have you guys heard anything about that?

• Like 1

I could see that but milk is good for you and i don't know about you guys but with me every now an then it goings down the wrong way i would think smoking it would be about the same as that

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Hookah.org mobile app

• Like 1

Maybe I'll try a little milk in one of my sessions then, but just to try it and see how it smokes. Any particular tobacco I should use with milk in the base?

• Like 1

I have put a little Irish Cream in the base with the ice water before. It was really good with Welsh Cream. Kind of interesting in mixed in the water fine the first day. We smoked twice, the next morning we used it again and then that night we used it again and by that time the Irish Cream has coddled and separated. Kind of weird looking, but it tasted really good before the separation.

• Like 1

Deff be careful using milk in your hookahs, I know that a lot of people have this tendency to mellow out and relax when smoking hookah and walk away thinking "ill clea nthis up tomorrow" and if you do that *barf* nasty seperated milk. 

• Like 1

I don't clean my hookah after every session, especially if I'm sticking with the same flavor for a few days, so the idea of day-old room-temperature milk doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Also, with ice and diffusers:

Ice will make your smoke colder, and therefore making it appear as if more smoke is coming out (room temp. vs. smoke temp. - like exhaling on a cold, winter day).  However, it doesn't add more smoke, and can give your throat and lungs a false indication of the temperature of your tobacco.  You can heat up the tobacco too much and end up with a burnt smoke, but never realize it.  I don't recommend adding ice to the base unless you have a grip on how to smoke properly, but it does make a great chilling sensation in the summer.

Diffusers are great too, but they don't produce more smoke.  And, with all that ice, you don't need a diffuser anyway.

• Like 1

The ice doesn't add more water because things expand when frozen. You actually should have slightly less water in your base when it's melted. Ice also slightly dulls the flavor of whatever you're smoking so I recommend only using it on an unbearably hot day or with something minty.

I only tried using milk once and I'm not sure if I used to much or what but I couldn't take pulls longer than a second or it would bubble into my hose, and I have a huge hookah with a diffuser. I did dilute it with water a lot of course. Maybe something like almond or soy milk would be better. It should still give you the creamy feeling and possibly less bubbling.

Sent from my HTCONE using Hookah.org mobile app

Edited by Tyrule
  • Like 1

Recipe is easy 1 part milk 2 parts water. And a half teaspoon of salt. 

Salt will prevent it from bubbling as hell

• Like 1

I don't know anything about making huge smoke clouds.Can anyone give me some tips on how to do that?

Sent from my XT1706 using Hookah.org mobile app

It's all I'm your packing and heat management. If you're using foil go with a slight overpack and then push the tobacco lightly until it's just under the rim. Invest in a windcover and that will exponentially increase your heat and allow for better cooking of your shisha; bigger clouds. Or you can buy an oduman ignis or kaloud lotus device. Either will make cooking your shisha far easier thus again giving bigger clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Hookah.org mobile app
  • Like 2