Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chernobyl

What type of draw do you prefer? Restricted or Wide Open?

Question

I have been smoking from my KM 1001 Nights Ice for a while now and have come to love the wide open draw that I get. My Stargate has a restricted draw compared to it, atleast it seems like it.

So my question for you guys is what type of draw do you prefer and why?

Sent from my XT894 using Hookah.org mobile app

I prefer different restrictions depending on what I'm smoking. I've found that too open of a draw can dull the flavor of some shisha down so sometimes I like to use a hose with a little more restriction. For stronger flavors I usually go for a wider draw though. I usually just switch hoses rather than hookahs because both of mine are egyptian so they're basically the same.

Well my Sahara with the glass teir and. Vortex I get a very open draw and I hsve grown very a custom to it. I view it like I do a motor. Flow rate. The more flow the better I like really big clouds.

Sent from my HTCONE using Hookah.org mobile app

I can't stand restricted draws, at least not so restricted it feels like I'm smoking through I straw. My KM Shamadan, standard Egyptian Bowl, homemade diffuser, and makeshift "crown" mouth piece have been carefully matched together to ensure the widest draw possible.

Sent from Galaxy S4 via Mobile App

as wide as I can get it. obviously there's a point of diminishing returns, but I feel like a restricted draw feels like I'm missing out.

Restricted always has less flavour and enjoyment for me. If you're spending half your energy struggling to draw smoke from a restricted pipe, then you can't fully appreciate the smoke, the flavour and take the time to relax. Also I find restricted draws inevitably leads to the whole group feeling light-headed from straining to draw after an hour or two of smoking.

Well there's a huge gray area between completely wide open and almost impossible to inhale too lol

I hate it when its really restricted too but for some flavors I like a tiny bit of restriction because I think it makes the flavor stronger. Maybe I'm crazy but thats just how I've always done it haha

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I think the reason people believe restriction adds flavor is because it takes longer for the smoke to pass your taste buds, which means you have more time to enjoy the flavor.

I personally don't see much of a difference between flavors when it comes to restriction. I prefer easier draws because they give me larger clouds with little affect on flavor. It also doesn't make me feel as light headed.

I think the reason people believe restriction adds flavor is because it takes longer for the smoke to pass your taste buds, which means you have more time to enjoy the flavor.

I personally don't see much of a difference between flavors when it comes to restriction. I prefer easier draws because they give me larger clouds with little affect on flavor. It also doesn't make me feel as light headed.

Yea I agree that's probably why people like restricted draws, just gives me a serious headache though, I'm always adjusting my water level until I can draw with absolutely 0 restriction.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Hookah.org mobile app

Headache is an issue for me as well. Restricted draw and too wet tobacco put a strain on my forehead and give me a terrible headache.

Sent from my GSmart GS202+ using Hookah.org mobile app

I like a wide open draw and hate restricted draws. I smoke hookah to relax not to use all my energy for a puff

a little bit restricted for me the flavors a little bit better but in my group were about 50/50 so just depends on who set up the hookah

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Hookah.org mobile app

I personally seriously enjoy open pulls. It just feels better. A question None of us have been able to figure out is what causes a restrictive pull. Answers?

Sent from my C5155 using Hookah.org mobile app

I personally seriously enjoy open pulls. It just feels better. A question None of us have been able to figure out is what causes a restrictive pull. Answers?

Small diameter hoses, small diameter downstems, small diameter hose ports. Improperly setting up a phunnel bowl, by clogging the spire. Not enough airflow through the shisha. There are various ways to get a restricted draw.

OK, the rest of the ways don't apply except for the packing the tobacco too tightly. That's the thing that varies on our packing. We assumed it was the tobacco or water level

OK, the rest of the ways don't apply except for the packing the tobacco too tightly. That's the thing that varies on our packing. We assumed it was the tobacco or water level

I've heard that too much water can cause that but I cannot confirm it. Tightly packing the shisha in a modern or egyptian bowl will cause it to get a restricted draw.

All our bowls are ceramic, I don't know if that's descriptive enough?

Not really.

The bowl on the left is modern, the bowl on the right is a phunnel.

The bowl on the right has the width but the bowl on the left is the depth. It doesn't have a pokey in the middle nor the phunnel.

Ah, thats a modern bowl. Those you have to ensure they have proper airflow, so you have to pack the shisha lightly