Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheEightyFour

Social Smoke Natural Coconut Charcoal

I took my $20 forum giveaway winnings and bought some stuff on socialsmoke.com last week, and got everything in yesterday and today.

I ordered:

2 regular HEMI bowls (I swear, I love these bowls)

1 small HEMI bowl (Because, why not? It's like a buck)

Nakhla Strawberry

Nakhla Zaghloul (Haven't tried it... sounds interesting)

and, the point of this review, a box of Social Smoke's new Natural Coconut Charcoals.

First thing I noticed when I pulled the box out of the... uh... box, was that the box seemed smaller than a box of CocoNaras. And it is, but only by a very, very small amount.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]694[/ATTACH]

The box made of thinner cardboard than CocoNaras. You can see it more drastically in the next photo with the box open.

As far as the design of the box - it definitely looks more modern than a box of CocoNaras, but still looks like a 17 year old kid designed it in Photoshop in 1999. And there's no sexist "women can enjoy too!" messages on the inside of the box, so that's a good thing. But... that's not what matters here. Let's open up the box!

The plastic on the inside containing the coals is definitely thicker and higher quality than CocoNaras.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]695[/ATTACH]

Breaking into a box of these doesn't require taking out the entire plastic bag to open them cleanly and cut the tape, or awkwardly ripping the plastic and potentially causing coal debris from going everywhere, so that's pretty nice.

The coals, by comparison, are much smoother, more even in size, and more dense than CocoNaras. Here's them side by side - the Social Smoke coals are in front of the Social Smoke box:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]696[/ATTACH]

You can see the CocoNaras are two different sizes from two randomly picked up coals. The Social Smoke coals look nearly identical, with the only exceptions being where they have been knocked around in the box a little bit. Digging through the box of Social Smoke coals a bit, the coal sizes are all very consistent. CocoNaras are definitely not as consistent.

As far as heating them, Social Smoke's coals took a little longer to heat, and didn't flame up as much as CocoNaras do. I often get a small fire on my stovetop with CocoNaras, but the Social Smokes only caused a small, purple flame. (My stove gets REALLY hot)

I dropped them in my Kaloud Lotus after they were done, atop my KM Dark Silver Shareef, Social Smoke HEMI bowl, and smoked some Nakhla Strawberry. I had smoked the Strawberry yesterday with the same setup (except for using CocoNaras) because the shisha came in yesterday (Social Smoke is now using two distribution centers. One deals only with shisha, everything else comes from the other).

Overall, even though I let the coals get red hot and stay on the burner a little longer, they didn't maintain their heat at first, and got black at the bottom, which wasn't hot enough. That's just more of a thing to note than anything - they require a little more heat to get going, probably due to their more dense, smooth exterior. However, I flipped them in the Lotus, and once I did that, they were smoking just as good as any other coco coal out there, and I didn't feel like it changed the flavor or effect of the session at all from yesterday's session.

My final opinion on these is I like them. A lot. They seemed to outlast my session just a little bit more than CocoNaras. The best part is their price point. At $12.99 for a box on their website (vs. $14.99 on hookah-shisha.com for CocoNaras), they are less expensive, and Social Smoke's shipping is very reasonable. Doing the math to where I live (Richmond, VA), 1 box + shipping of Social Smoke's coals is $12.99 + $5.95; CocoNaras from hookah-shisha.com is $14.99 + $12.74 shipping. Obviously, that's a ridiculous amount to pay for shipping for just a single box of coals, but if you're buying anything else in tandem, or over $100 worth of stuff from hookah-shisha.com and use their free shipping coupon code, things obviously change.

So if you're buying things from socialsmoke.com, think about picking up a box of these. They're a good coal, and definitely worth the investment. I really hope hookah-shisha starts stocking them soon.

Thanks for reviewing these I've been wondering about them. I'll definitely pick some up when I spend my gift cards. I hope other vendors start carrying them too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. I had heard good things about them from other people too but good to see we have people on our own forum liking it too :)

I just placed my order for their coco coals, and I can't wait to start using it. So far my favorite is belgian natural disks, but we will see how these play out.

I just got my order of social smoke coco coals today. I will be trying them out tonight... Or later if i decide to smoke a bowl before doing some work around the house.

Let us know how they are =) I want to try them but I'm stocked up on coals right now so I'm waiting a bit.

Im on my second round and they are pretty effin awesome. I got almost a full hour out of the first round with a wind cover. On this second round the first 22 minutes was without the wind cover given that the shisha is nice and warm. Im very impressed with their durability given that when i tried coco naras they only lasted 35 minutes and i had to use 3 each round. These are working great for me so far.

If I may ask, what coals did you try that only lasted 35 minutes? That seems very odd to me. Pretty much any coco coal I've tried lasts at least an hour, cocos usually last me between an hour 25 or an hour 35 depending on if its with a wind cover or in the lotus or whatever.

Coco Naras.. the ones in the yellow and blue box. the ones everybody loves. I can upload a picture of them. I didn't like them and I couldn't wait to get rid of them to use something else. I didn't want to throw them out because I didn't have anything else, and I had already thrown out a whole batch of another kind that I didn't like before that, so I didn't want to be without any.

they only lasted 30 minutes? how long did you leave them on the burner? they just need to be mostly red or white on the outside, not shrunk down and ashed over.

Yeah coco Nara's should last at least for an hour. I can usually get about an hour and 20-30 minutes out of them

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

they only lasted 30 minutes? how long did you leave them on the burner? they just need to be mostly red or white on the outside, not shrunk down and ashed over.

I left them about 8 minutes or so flipping them at around 4 minutes. I made sure they were fully glowing when i took them off the burner. I started to think that it was a bad batch but in any case they stunk up the place really really really bad, so ill never be using them again just for that fact alone. My girfriend doesn't like hookah at all because it bothers her sinuses wich is the reason why i smoke alone after she goes to bed with the windows and fan on. The day i lit up the coco naras in the apartment for the first time she said if the place is going to stink that bad that im not going to be smoking it inside the apartment anymore.

Yeah coco Nara's should last at least for an hour. I can usually get about an hour and 20-30 minutes out of them

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

Yeah no coco naras in the whole box lasted more than 35 minutes. Since my sessions lasts about two hours, i had to do 4 round of 3 coals. As it was i think they are just too small because i needed 3 or 4 (depending in the bowl) to get enough heat to get the shisha going. That's why I was using the Belgian natural tablets before i got the social smoke coals. I really like the natural tablets and only needed 2 rounds of 2 40mm for a nice 2 -2 ½ hour session.

Thats weird, sounds like a bad batch to me. I use Coco Naras all the time in my small apartment and they never make the place smell. They smell like a campfire for about 2 minutes and then it goes away and doesn't smell at all. They last an hour 20 or 30 for me as well.

Are belgian naturals the ones that look like quick lights? If so, those are huge coals, so I can see why you're used to them lasting longer. You might like a cube shaped coal more than a rectangle one. Try out coco buzz they are pretty big.

I used to use the natural tabs as well. The big difference is they have a lot more surface area, but they don't get as hot. I find two coconaras work just as well, if not better, than two of those, but you do have to move them around a bit more to prevent overheating.

Also, I never noticed a smell with coconaras. Sounds like you may have bought either some knockoffs (it happens, believe it or not) or it was just a really bad batch. That just doesn't happen.

Going back to the Social Smoke coals, I find they're similar to the natural tabs as far as heat output. They're not as hot, but they maintain a little longer. I think it's in part because they aren't pitted like coconaras, so it's harder to get oxygen and heat to the core.

Thats weird, sounds like a bad batch to me. I use Coco Naras all the time in my small apartment and they never make the place smell. They smell like a campfire for about 2 minutes and then it goes away and doesn't smell at all. They last an hour 20 or 30 for me as well.

Are belgian naturals the ones that look like quick lights? If so, those are huge coals, so I can see why you're used to them lasting longer. You might like a cube shaped coal more than a rectangle one. Try out coco buzz they are pretty big.

Yeah it totally sounds like i got a bad batch, but how can that be? All it is its just compressed coconut shells so how would it go bad? I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Yeah the Belgian tablets are those round ones that look like quick lights. The ones i had were 40mm which are pretty big and explains why i was so used to their size and shape. Im really enjoying these social smoke coco charcoals. They are lasting me over an hour so im happy, but im open to try different brands. To be honest ill probably go back to the Belgian tablets. I'm used to them, i like them and they don't have any smell. Oh and their ashes doesn't get in my bowl either like all the other ones.

I used to use the natural tabs as well. The big difference is they have a lot more surface area, but they don't get as hot. I find two coconaras work just as well, if not better, than two of those, but you do have to move them around a bit more to prevent overheating.

Also, I never noticed a smell with coconaras. Sounds like you may have bought either some knockoffs (it happens, believe it or not) or it was just a really bad batch. That just doesn't happen.

Going back to the Social Smoke coals, I find they're similar to the natural tabs as far as heat output. They're not as hot, but they maintain a little longer. I think it's in part because they aren't pitted like coconaras, so it's harder to get oxygen and heat to the core.

You might be onto something there about them being knock offs. Ill dig for the picture that i took when i bought it so you guys can check it out. Im really baffled by this.

As far as the social smoke heat output. You might be right but it depends on the bowl i guess. For some reason I've gotten very good at managing heat with my wind cover and it took a lot of trial and error. With the SS coals i can still over heat or under heat the tobacco depending on what im smoking. For example the batch im smoking tonight with cinammon spice and 3 coals really started to get harsh because i closes the cover too much. It's still a learning process. :)

Yea, 3 coals and a wind cover is probably too much heat, unless it's actually windy lol It takes some practice and definitely a lot of trial and error to find what works best for you with each bowl and type of tobacco you use. You seem to have a pretty good handle on it though so you aren't far from having perfect sessions every night haha

Yea, 3 coals and a wind cover is probably too much heat, unless it's actually windy lol It takes some practice and definitely a lot of trial and error to find what works best for you with each bowl and type of tobacco you use. You seem to have a pretty good handle on it though so you aren't far from having perfect sessions every night haha

LOL Thanks. I would go as far as saying that I've had quite a few perfect sessions where the coals last long without having to fiddle with them, the tobacco was tasty till the end, and I had to do little moving from my lazy couch position. We have an L shaped couch and I lay back on one side and put my leg up on the other side of the leg.... which is how I knocked out the coal onto my carpet when I pulled on the house putting my leg up. LOL but that's a story for another thread.

I think i've gotten pretty good with the wind cover. I still have my original one that I made with foil just to try it until I got my social smoke real wind cover. :)

I'm sure we all have dropped or fallen coal stories lol I have burns in my carpet because of my dumbass cats knocking the hookah over, and once because I was using a heavy hose on a small hookah and it tipped over.

But anyway, we have an L shaped couch too so I understand what you mean, I knock my drink over all the time doing that because I put it on the floor next to me and end up kicking it. haha

OMG I do that allllllll the time. I forget I put my drink on the floor and I always knock it down when I get up. For that reason my girlfriend bought me 3 of those thermal cups with a screw-on lid and I still manage to kick it and spill it. Now it doesn't spill as much liquid because of the lid. How funny is that? Hahahahaha.

OMG I do that allllllll the time. I forget I put my drink on the floor and I always knock it down when I get up. For that reason my girlfriend bought me 3 of those thermal cups with a screw-on lid and I still manage to kick it and spill it. Now it doesn't spill as much liquid because of the lid. How funny is that? Hahahahaha.

My wife did the same thing! haha I swear they should build couches that have arm rests with cup holders built in.

My wife did the same thing! haha I swear they should build couches that have arm rests with cup holders built in.

Yeah like at the movie theaters. That would be great!