WolfDen

Kaloud Lotus Hints and Tricks

Question

I started to wonder what kind of coals everyone uses in their Kaloud Lotus, so I thought I start this thread to compile all the hints and tricks everyone has found to get the most out of this cool little gadget.

I’ll go first.

Cleaning:

A fork works well to pull of stuck tobacco when you want to change out bowls.

To clean that hard baked on stuff bowl the Lotus in water with a little bit of vinegar. Once it has boiled for 10 or so minutes, pull it out of the water with some tongs and use a bristle brush to clean it (ours was an old potato scrubber that my husband commandeered to get grease out from under his nails). We do that every couple of weeks and it seems to work pretty well.

Heating:

We use a single coil burner to heat our coals. This is the process I follow when we start the hookah up for the first time in the day. Once the coals are glowing and ready I set the Lotus on the coils. I go around our big chair to unplug the burner, come back and load the coals into the lotus there. I then move the Lotus to the bowl. It isn’t on the heat very long, but it seems to really help the metal to start to warm up.

So come on guys and gals what do you do….

• Like 1

My only difference is I don't heat the Lotus on the burner. Usually use two Coconaras when I use my Alien Phunnel, 3 if I'm using my Harmony bowl because it's so deep. Heating using just coals doesn't take long, I usually put them in and go make a drink or a snack. By the time I'm back, the bowl is going well. I've had a friend melt their Lotus heating it, so I try not to.

My only difference is I don't heat the Lotus on the burner. Usually use two Coconaras when I use my Alien Phunnel, 3 if I'm using my Harmony bowl because it's so deep. Heating using just coals doesn't take long, I usually put them in and go make a drink or a snack. By the time I'm back, the bowl is going well. I've had a friend melt their Lotus heating it, so I try not to.

Wow! If you don’t mind me asking do you know how long your friend left it on the burner? It would have to get really hot to melt aluminum. I used to do the same process when I had a Blazen’ Infrared Burner, only I forgot about it one day and left it on for about 10 minutes. It was hot and made my tobacco sizzle but it wasn’t any worse than not moving coals around enough on tin foil.

As for coal amounts I normally start with 3 and then every hour or so add two more. And I use Coco Nara Coals.

I tend to use two coals, and, though it voids the warranty, when I turn the burner off, I set the kaloud on it, put the coals in, and maybe let it sit there for no more than about 30 seconds. I usually start with only two coals. I dunno if it's the way I pack, the tobaccos I use, or the bowls I choose to use, but 3 seems to make things too harsh to handle, though I've had success with starting with 3 in the past.

I'll usually add another coal or two about 30-45 minutes in.

I generally prefer Coco Naras, but I have a box of Chronics I'll be trying out soon. The Social Smoke naturals didn't seem to retain their heat well enough for the Kaloud for some reason.

I also recently returned from my honeymoon (WOO). I brought a small Mya hookah with me and my Lotus. No where we stayed had an electric stove, but I had really good success with 2 40mm quick lights, adding a 3rd on about 45 minutes in. I didn't really notice the taste of the quick lights with the lotus, which was excellent - I hate the flavor of those things.

I use 2 or 3 depending on what I'm smoking, I never preheat it I just toss the coals in and wait 10 or 15 minutes and its good to go. I'll use most coconut coals, but I tend to stick to coco naras.

Cleaning is easy for me, I just soak it in water overnight when I'm done smoking and the next day everything just scrubs off.

I read that you aren't supposed to preheat the lotus... I saw a video of one melting on a burner! I guess I'm not brave enough to try lol

Sent from my XT907

Don't own one but I believe that you can preheat it a bit but the materials used to construct aren't meant to handle that kind of heat.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

You absolutely are not supposed to pre-heat it. And that info comes directly from Kaloud, it voids your warranty and can damage the lotus. Some people get away with it but it really depends on how you do it and how often. I dont think it's worth the risk, those things are expensive.

You absolutely are not supposed to pre-heat it. And that info comes directly from Kaloud, it voids your warranty and can damage the lotus. Some people get away with it but it really depends on how you do it and how often. I dont think it's worth the risk, those things are expensive.

I agree

Sent from my XT907

That's the main reason I haven't bought one. The price isn't worth it to me. I have used one though, if was my friend's. It worked wonders but to me it was the same as using just foil

I feel like its only good for the first hr and a half or so. I get a longer sesh using foil

Sent from my XT907

Well I got mine for free sort of, store credit. And I used my friends a few times and loved it otherwise I never would have bought it just to try it out. I get way longer sessions with it and it lets me be so much more lazy because I never have to touch the coals if I dont want to lol I think it really needs to be paired with the right bowl in order to be worth it.

I may be a bit biased towards it because I just don't think it's worth it. Part of smoking hookah is doing the maintenance, like moving the coals and whatnot. I understand it makes it easier but it only takes a few seconds to move coals so I don't mind. Maybe if I used one more than a couple times I would be sold

I totally understand what you're saying and I was/still am the same way. It literally is just an overpriced hunk of aluminum, but it works so thats why its popular. Another bonus is that it keeps the ash out of your bowl, but foil keeps most of it out anyway.

Agree to disagree I suppose! haha Maybe something will come along that works better and isn't as expensive, who knows. I just hope it's not another type of flip bowl.

I have never gotten ash in my bowl before or if I have then it was such a small amount that I couldn't tell.

The flip bowl was a decent idea but it didn't really work out properly.

I really like mine. I like how it evenly heats across the view bowl.

Sent from my N9810 using Hookah.org mobile app

In order to get the proper setup with your Kaloud, you have to do maintenance on it as well, even during a session. I usually add on a third coal later on and have to move around what's inside to accommodate. If it gets too hot, you have to adjust the vents.

That being said, I don't think it works in all places at all times. I find I smoke Tangiers a lot more often now, and I don't like it as much with the lotus.

Also, even if you don't see it, if you use foil, you get ash in your bowl, unless you poke thousands of microscopic holes in your foil. Scrape your almost dead coals off the foil and inhale. You'll see the ash residue comes right in the bowl.

True. I think its just one of those products that isn't for everyone because everyone smokes differently and some people are traditionalists who just enjoy the routine of setting up and smoking and then breaking down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Is anybody familiar with the Minzari crown? I want to know if somebody has tried it and how it compares to the lotus. If' I'm going to buy an expensive contraption to put on my hookah, at least I want it to look cool like the Minzari crown. To me it just seems that the Lotus is a pain in the ass and not all the coals will fit. This is what it looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]834[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]835[/ATTACH]

Edited by dd0723

interesting. I think the kaloud is only a pain if you don't know how to use it. I mean, we all remember setting up hookahs for the first time. most of us, it's now second nature. same with using anything additional, like the kaloud.

anyway are there any more details about this anywhere?

interesting. I think the kaloud is only a pain if you don't know how to use it. I mean, we all remember setting up hookahs for the first time. most of us, it's now second nature. same with using anything additional, like the kaloud.

anyway are there any more details about this anywhere?

Yeah sure. I hope I'm not breaking the rules but their URL is www.minzari.com and the main guy on Instagram is hookahaddiction. They've had many giveaways on Instagram and they are always promoting it there. To be honest i really want one only for the fact that it seems more manageable than the kaloud. I have big hands and i don't want to be fidgeting with something tiny to put the coals in. The minzari has a large tray to put as many coals as i want and the whole tray goes up and down for heat management. So out of the two of them,the minzari takes the cake when it comes to giving up my money. It also looks way better, but again thats just my opinion. The way i look at it is hookah beauty is part of the presentation and i think the minzari accomplish it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have pretty large hands and I have no problem with the kaloud. It fits two coconut-style coals very easily, a third sometimes needs to be on its side.

I don't like the fact it doesn't work with wetter tobaccos (you have to dry them? that's where all the flavors and clouds are!), or that it's a separate bowl.

I use my Lowes with water tobaccos you just have to make sure that it's not going to be touching the bottom almost like you would when you're going to put foil on it you don't want to go to touch the foil.

Lotus not Lowes apparently my talk to text recording thing wasn't working right or hearing me right I guess

Some tips I've found to be helpful.

1. Make sure at least one of the vents is inside your bowl. Even if the lotus looks weird and off to one side. Makes all the difference in the world for the smaller bowls.

2. Place the coals over the slits in the lotus. Not just randomly in the lotus.

3. For funnel bowls (well all bowls) make sure the shisha is packed against the outer rim of your bowl and is slightly sloping towards the middle. You barely want your lotus touching the shisha if not at all.

4. Always start with 3 coals and the vents closed for the first 5 minutes. If it starts to get harsh open slits. Still too harsh? Take a coal out. Perfect hear mgmt.

5. Enjoy your smoke.

• Like 1

I started to wonder what kind of coals everyone uses in their Kaloud Lotus, so I thought I start this thread to compile all the hints and tricks everyone has found to get the most out of this cool little gadget.

I’ll go first.

Cleaning:

A fork works well to pull of stuck tobacco when you want to change out bowls.

To clean that hard baked on stuff bowl the Lotus in water with a little bit of vinegar. Once it has boiled for 10 or so minutes, pull it out of the water with some tongs and use a bristle brush to clean it (ours was an old potato scrubber that my husband commandeered to get grease out from under his nails). We do that every couple of weeks and it seems to work pretty well.

Heating:

We use a single coil burner to heat our coals. This is the process I follow when we start the hookah up for the first time in the day. Once the coals are glowing and ready I set the Lotus on the coils. I go around our big chair to unplug the burner, come back and load the coals into the lotus there. I then move the Lotus to the bowl. It isn’t on the heat very long, but it seems to really help the metal to start to warm up.

So come on guys and gals what do you do….

I personally haven't bought one yet, but I do know that by putting the kaloud on a burner voids your warranty for it