Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

musicrox414

help with bowls/grommits

Question

I bought a power bowl and a vortex bowl when I got my first hookah and I just can't seem to get the bowls to stay on the stem. I put the grommit on and pushed the bowl down as far down as it would go but you could see it slowly sliding up the tip. I tried putting 2 mod bowl grommits on and that didn't help, I tried putting a wet paper towel on the tip but that only helped a little and I don't feel like having to put a piece of paper towel on everytime I go to smoke. After the vortex bowl fell off and broke I called hookah-shisha.com customer support and  they told me I probably had the wrong grommits and they sent me 2 new ones but they were the same as I was using. Now my power bowl has fell off and broke and I'm just tired of trying to figure it out so can anybody here help me? All I have left is the egyptian bowl that came with it and even with that and 2 mod bowl grommits it still barely stays on. 

Could you post some pictures of the top of your hookah with the grommets and maybe with a bowl on too so we can see better? That might help us help you better.

It sounds like your grommets are too big but I'm not sure.

put the grommet in the bowl first, then put it on the hookah stem.  if you do it the other way, you'll push the grommet down before it creates a seal, if it seals at all, and effectively don't have as much grip to keep the bowl on.

also try cleaning your bowl and grommet with water and a scrub brush (inside too), and soak if necessary.  when dry, take a dry paper towel and clean the stem where the bowl and grommet go on to it first.  i know that, even if i don't clean my hookah between sessions, this is necessary to ensure a proper seal.  a slightly moist downstem or grommet or bowl due to shisha tobacco juice will cause it to slip.

Huh, I never thought about it like that, I've always put the grommet on the stem first. I'll have to try it the other way and see if it makes a difference for me. 

put the grommet in the bowl first, then put it on the hookah stem.  if you do it the other way, you'll push the grommet down before it creates a seal, if it seals at all, and effectively don't have as much grip to keep the bowl on.

also try cleaning your bowl and grommet with water and a scrub brush (inside too), and soak if necessary.  when dry, take a dry paper towel and clean the stem where the bowl and grommet go on to it first.  i know that, even if i don't clean my hookah between sessions, this is necessary to ensure a proper seal.  a slightly moist downstem or grommet or bowl due to shisha tobacco juice will cause it to slip.

The hookah is completely clean and dry and I have tried putting the grommets on the stem and then the bowl on and I've tried putting the grommets in the bowl first. I've trie using one grommet and I've tried using two.

Do you have a picture of the grommet with the bowl too?

This happened to me now and then, the only thing I was able to deduct was that it had something to do with the heat. I would put the coals on the tray before putting it on the bowl itself. Once I stopped doing that, the bowl didn't spit up out of the stem anymore. I know it doesn't make sense, but that was the only thing I was able to figure out.

You can use Teflon tape (plumber’s/thread tape) for a quick fix.  In fact that is what I use most of the time because it is cheap, I can build it up exactly how I want it to get a perfect fit, and I can throw it away and use new after a week or two.   

You can use Teflon tape (plumber’s/thread tape) for a quick fix.  In fact that is what I use most of the time because it is cheap, I can build it up exactly how I want it to get a perfect fit, and I can throw it away and use new after a week or two.   

Athletic tape will work too but it leaves sticky residue. I've never tried teflon tape, sounds like a great idea!

I can’t take credit I got the idea from chernobyl but I have to say it works really well.

I forgot I even mentioned that haha. It does work wonders though. 

I use the Teflon tape almost exclusively.  It works better than any grommets with my KM set up and overall it is just a whole lot easier to wrapped tape around the stem and hose then try to find the right grommet and not pull it out.  We have not had a leaning tower of hot hookah bowl since we went to this method.

Wow. I'm glad that helped you so much. I used to do that with my Stargate because the hose port wasn't wide enough to support a grommet.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

The hookah is completely clean and dry and I have tried putting the grommets on the stem and then the bowl on and I've tried putting the grommets in the bowl first. I've trie using one grommet and I've tried using two.

Please post a photo of your bowl, grommet, etc.  There's obviously something not right there that we cannot identify without seeing it.

how about Saran Wrap? would that work as well? I'm thinking it might actually melt, never mind.

If you order from Social Smoke, try ordering some of their ribbed grommets... they are perfect for "clicking" into place your bowl.  Then again if you are using a vortex and power, these grommets might be too small.  You could try using a small silicone grommet underneath.  But it sounds like you having a working method already.

If you order from Social Smoke, try ordering some of their ribbed grommets... they are perfect for "clicking" into place your bowl.

I have one of these and it works great. It says "inhale" on it. Not sure if thats a brand or what but its white and has 4 or 5 ribs on it that help it grip the bowl. Hookah-Shisha has them too, most other vendors should too but I'm not sure.

I have one of these and it works great. It says "inhale" on it. Not sure if thats a brand or what but its white and has 4 or 5 ribs on it that help it grip the bowl. Hookah-Shisha has them too, most other vendors should too but I'm not sure.

It would be sweet if they made bigger ones for bigger bowls... that's the only downside.  But it works great for my Egyptians and Phunnels

It would be sweet if they made bigger ones for bigger bowls... that's the only downside.  But it works great for my Egyptians and Phunnels

Yea I use it with my alien mini but I wish it was just a little bit bigger.

If you order from Social Smoke, try ordering some of their ribbed grommets... they are perfect for "clicking" into place your bowl. Then again if you are using a vortex and power, these grommets might be too small. You could try using a small silicone grommet underneath. But it sounds like you having a working method already.

Yeah they are pretty awesome. I use mine to feel the clicks to make sure is on correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you order from Social Smoke, try ordering some of their ribbed grommets... they are perfect for "clicking" into place your bowl.  Then again if you are using a vortex and power, these grommets might be too small.  You could try using a small silicone grommet underneath.  But it sounds like you having a working method already.

I didn't even notice it until now but my grommet is just like that. It works perfectly on my phunnel bowl. 

The social smoke grommets are the shiz.  The thin "mod" ones hookah-shisha sends are pretty awful.  And they turn brown and brittle really fast in comparison.

I used to get grommets from Sahara Smoke, I think….whoever it is that sells Hookah Freak tobacco (because I love Atomic Fireball).  They work the best and it is the only play I can get them.  Unfortunately I had a bad experience with Sahara Smoke sending my package out with a signature request and working days it took way too long to get everything figured out to get what I ordered.

We've used electrical tape, too. Works very well!!

We've used electrical tape, too. Works very well!!

I've used that as well, it does wonders at creating an air tight seal. Used to use that when I couldn't find the air leak, just slapped electrical tape on all the parts. 

I use the silicone gaskets from crown hookah exclusively. never had a bowl slip. was going to post a link, but not able to.