Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dd0723

How Do You Store Packed Bowls?

Question

OK guys, I feel like a brand new smoker here, but I have another question for you.

Last night I packed my Vortex bowl with a mix of Social Smoke Sex Panther and Voltage early to enjoy later on. The bowl had the foil on it already and holes punctured. I had everything ready and laid out, but I got carried away working on a current project and I didn't get to smoke at all. By the time I realized that I wanted a hit, it was already 3am, and I was not about to start a 3-hour session that late.

My question is how in the heck do you put away tobacco that is already packed in a bowl? I didn't know what to do, so I took the bowl, put it in a plastic bag, and put it with the rest of my shisha in the cupboard. I was thinking of putting it in the fridge, but I remember reading an article from Paul saying that wasn't necessary.

Has that ever happened to you and what did you do?

I'm concerned that now that the bowl is ready, it won't taste the same when I smoke it. I wanted to make a bowl of Turkish Coffee tonight, but I guess I'm going to have to smoke the bowl already made.

14 answers to this question

When we had our Leila we had two extra bowls and would pack them both at the same time and leave them in the bag.  If we were going on a trip we might start one up then when it was done start the next, or smoke one, get to our destination do whatever it was we were planning on, and then smoking the second one.    For work I would set it up and leave it in the car for 6 hours (no matter what the temp was – hot or cold) and then smoke on our lunch break.  I never noticed too much of a difference.  Heck I’ll even put one round of coals on smoke, go to bed, wake up, and put a second round on.  So in my opinion if you notice a difference it won’t be very much and if you don’t want to smoke it, dump it back with the tobacco and smoke what you want.  Or since it is two flavors mixed put it in a small plastic container or zip lock bag, just don’t put it in the fridge!

When we had our Leila we had two extra bowls and would pack them both at the same time and leave them in the bag.  If we were going on a trip we might start one up then when it was done start the next, or smoke one, get to our destination do whatever it was we were planning on, and then smoking the second one.    For work I would set it up and leave it in the car for 6 hours (no matter what the temp was – hot or cold) and then smoke on our lunch break.  I never noticed too much of a difference.  Heck I’ll even put one round of coals on smoke, go to bed, wake up, and put a second round on.  So in my opinion if you notice a difference it won’t be very much and if you don’t want to smoke it, dump it back with the tobacco and smoke what you want.  Or since it is two flavors mixed put it in a small plastic container or zip lock bag, just don’t put it in the fridge!

Leaving the shisha in the bowl and wrapped it foil will not damage the shisha or ruin the flavor. But this comes with a few exceptions, it should be packed in a vortex or phunnel bowl, the foil should not have holes in it and you should smoke it within a day or two. If packed in an Egyptian or mod bowl the molasses can drip out of the shisha. If holes are poked in the foil then air can get in and dry the shisha. Keeping it sitting door too long will do the same.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

I mean the answer really is that you should have just stayed up last night and smoked it…   :evildancingbanana: 

and we have a winner!!!! yes, I totally should have smoked it. I would have, but I was so damn sleepy already that a match between hookah and bed ensued, and the bed won. :wacko:

Leaving the shisha in the bowl and wrapped it foil will not damage the shisha or ruin the flavor. But this comes with a few exceptions, it should be packed in a vortex or phunnel bowl, the foil should not have holes in it and you should smoke it within a day or two. If packed in an Egyptian or mod bowl the molasses can drip out of the shisha. If holes are poked in the foil then air can get in and dry the shisha. Keeping it sitting door too long will do the same.

ahhhh yes, I packed the Vortex, and I left it standing up even after I put it in the plastic bag. I didn't want any of the juices dripping. Also I was concerned because the foil already had the holes poked. I should have just smoked the bowl in the office last night. I didn't expect that west coast client to call me with something needing updated ASAP on their site, otherwise I would have left it for the next day and enjoyed my hookah.

ahhhh yes, I packed the Vortex, and I left it standing up even after I put it in the plastic bag. I didn't want any of the juices dripping. Also I was concerned because the foil already had the holes poked. I should have just smoked the bowl in the office last night. I didn't expect that west coast client to call me with something needing updated ASAP on their site, otherwise I would have left it for the next day and enjoyed my hookah.

Ah, that is all fine then. But a general rule is to just smoke it when you pack it. It takes more time to pack it and get it ready and then put it away than it does to just pack it when you are ready to smoke.

I pack bowls ahead of time every now and then if I know I'm not going to feel like packing one when I get home. I just pack it in the morning, foil it up without holes and thats it. If I plan on using the lotus then I just take the foil off when I'm ready and put the lotus on, or if I want to use foil I just poke holes. If its in a bag then you can probably leave it as is until tomorrow but if you know you aren't gonna smoke it then just put it in a container until later.

Ok so here we go! 

I used to have 3 bowls (2 are missing from moving ugh) a egy, vortex and phunnel. I would pack them saving the phunnel for last. 

I would pack them foil them, but NOT poke holes! Then I put them ontop of a paper towel and leave them out. 

Egy first smoke, vortex second, phunnel last. I wouldn't leave them out for longer than a day or two. You dont want the shisha to dry out ^_^ Happy smoking! 

If you pack a good tight bowl in phunnle or vortex. You can smoke it a full round. Then reheat it. Or if you started to smoke it and need to run. Just take coals off. Depending on the coals you cant put them out with water and reheat them up as well.