Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dd0723

Happy Memorial Day 2014

I should have posted this on Friday like I did on my other social networks, but is never too late. 

Before you go BBQing today, stop for a moment and think why you have the freedoms that you do. Take a moment to thank a solider that made it possible for you to have a 3-day paid holiday weekend so you can eat and drink. So I thank my sister, chief petty officer Wallace for her 18 years of service, 3 wars fought, and over 10 deployments overseas for six months at a time. She puts her life in danger along with all the other service men and women so I can sit on my fat ass drinking beer and eating BBQ. so thank you to all that have served, currently serving, and will serve in the future, but thank you to all those that laid their lives for the freedoms that we enjoy today. THANK YOU!!!!!

post-9346-0-77206300-1401123209_thumb.jp

I knew a truck driver at my old job( at a Panera Bread) and on Memorial Day weekend he brought our delivery and I told him happy memorial day, and he explained to me that you shouldn't say "happy" memorial day because it's not a happy holiday. Yes, we eat and drink and act stupid and most people think its because were celebrating something, but that's not what memorial day is. Its a day to remember those who have given their lives for our country and to be thankful for those who are now and who will. Its actually a very sad holiday. I had never thought of it this way until he said that to me and it's always stuck with me since then. He said that if you see a soldier or know a veteran, to just thank them for their services and avoid saying things like happy memorial day, because for them that day might bring back some bad memories. And thats no way to treat someone who would give their life for you.

Just something to think about today and every other American holiday. 

I knew a truck driver at my old job( at a Panera Bread) and on Memorial Day weekend he brought our delivery and I told him happy memorial day, and he explained to me that you shouldn't say "happy" memorial day because it's not a happy holiday. Yes, we eat and drink and act stupid and most people think its because were celebrating something, but that's not what memorial day is. Its a day to remember those who have given their lives for our country and to be thankful for those who are now and who will. Its actually a very sad holiday. I had never thought of it this way until he said that to me and it's always stuck with me since then. He said that if you see a soldier or know a veteran, to just thank them for their services and avoid saying things like happy memorial day, because for them that day might bring back some bad memories. And thats no way to treat someone who would give their life for you.

wow very true... See, I'm guilty of it myself because we look forward to the long holiday and celebrating. You are actually right, I have been corrected more than once today. :) 

That is very, very deep. Makes me rethink this holiday. 

wow very true... See, I'm guilty of it myself because we look forward to the long holiday and celebrating. You are actually right, I have been corrected more than once today. :)

Yea I think we all are to some extent, its okay to have a good time and party, just remember who you're partying for. Make a toast to all those soldiers out there.

That is very, very deep. Makes me rethink this holiday. 

Yea it did the same to me when we told me that. Makes you look at it from a completely different perspective thats for sure.