Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HookahHooligan

Anyone have experience with finger style coals?

Question

In my recent order they accidently switched up my coals and I got finger style instead of cubes, they gave me store credit and let me keep the coals. But I don't know how to use them I've never had this kind of coal before lol

I was hoping someone could let me know thier experience. Do I just break them in half or what? I can upload pics if that would be helpful.

21 answers to this question

Do they look something like this?

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

post-9263-14013205973878_thumb.jpg

You can break them if you want, I don't always break mine. You can break them with a hammer and screw driver, unless someone else has a better idea. I'll keep mine that way so I only have to move one large coal instead of two. 

The coals i have produce enough heat but they have a bit of ash. Probably because they are bamboo. 

You can break them if you want, I don't always break mine. You can break them with a hammer and screw driver, unless someone else has a better idea. I'll keep mine that way so I only have to move one large coal instead of two. 

The coals i have produce enough heat but they have a bit of ash. Probably because they are bamboo. 

These are Mya coconut coals, normally they are cubes or rectangles but they also offer a smaller box which is 24 of these finger coals. I think they will be fine left whole for my bigger bowls but to get them in the lotus or use for a smaller bowl I'll have to break them.

Thanks for the tips =)

These are Mya coconut coals, normally they are cubes or rectangles but they also offer a smaller box which is 24 of these finger coals. I think they will be fine left whole for my bigger bowls but to get them in the lotus or use for a smaller bowl I'll have to break them.

Thanks for the tips =)

I've never tried those kinds of coals, but, if you need to break coals, wait until they're red hot first. much easier (and cleaner) than sawing through a dense brick of coal. just give it a stab with your tongs and it'll do the job. you just probably want to have them in something like a coal carrier first.

I've never tried those kinds of coals, but, if you need to break coals, wait until they're red hot first. much easier (and cleaner) than sawing through a dense brick of coal. just give it a stab with your tongs and it'll do the job. you just probably want to have them in something like a coal carrier first.

Yea I dont want to do it that way because I know it'll go flying and Id rather it not be lit while flying lol I dont mind the charcoal dust from scoring them anyway

Are they Japanese style coals and are they scored? From what i have learned when i was researching coals is that the Japanese finger coals are coated in some silver coating and you have to wait till the coating burns off before using them. Also they should easily break off into cubes before you light them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I dont want to do it that way because I know it'll go flying and Id rather it not be lit while flying lol I dont mind the charcoal dust from scoring them anyway

when i do that with nara's, they usually crush before they go flying.  it shouldn't be an issue.

Are they Japanese style coals and are they scored? From what i have learned when i was researching coals is that the Japanese finger coals are coated in some silver coating and you have to wait till the coating burns off before using them. Also they should easily break off into cubes before you light them.

he said they weren't scored.  also, japanese coals, imo, suck.

he said they weren't scored. also, japanese coals, imo, suck.

Ah yes. I scrolled up and saw she said they weren't scored.

I never bought the Japanese kind because from all the videos i found on YouTube, they just didn't seem right to me. The coco jamra's are doing right by me so far. I use way less than if i was using the social smoke or Belgian tablets. Almost the end of the month and i still have just a line before half a box where by now i would be running out of the other two.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially if they are anything like mine, pieces will fall or fly off while breaking them. I'd say score it and then snap it in half with your hands or just saw them in half. If you do the second one make sure to put a towel down first.

No they aren't silver tabs, these are Mya genie coals, just the finger style instead of the cubes. I'll post a picture later today.

when i do that with nara's, they usually crush before they go flying.  it shouldn't be an issue.

I want to keep the deposit for my apartment so I'm not going to risk it haha

he said they weren't scored.  also, japanese coals, imo, suck.

Yea I've never heard anything good really, some people say they are good for Tangiers because they burn cooler but I don't know how true that is.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially if they are anything like mine, pieces will fall or fly off while breaking them. I'd say score it and then snap it in half with your hands or just saw them in half. If you do the second one make sure to put a towel down first.

That is probably what I will do. Thanks guys for the help! =)

Japanese Coals are a step above quicklights, but coconut coals are much preferable.  I've tried Tangiers in their lounge in San Diego with their pack and Japanese coals, but coconut coals put off a better smoke and better flavor imo.  It burns much cleaner too.  There is a little bit more heat management involved... you can't just walk away from a hookah.  But I'd rather sit an enjoy my hookah for 1-2 hours than use Japanese coals and puff on a bowl over the course of 4 hours.

I know, necroing a bit but I've used the Exocita finger coals before. Actually prefer them to coconut coals, I like japanese coals more too, the trick with japanese coals is using an extra coal (so three instead of two, four instead of three ect) I've also used lemonwood and these odd triangle stick ones. Not a fan of the lemonwood but the triangle ones where pretty awesome too though super ashy.

All in all my favorites are actually exotica finger coals, I cut them using a cheap $2 drywall saw. I will admit that ash is a bit of an issue but I enjoy coal management anyways and typically smoke in a garage or outside

Anyways how did you/are you enjoy those coals?

I know, necroing a bit but I've used the Exocita finger coals before. Actually prefer them to coconut coals, I like japanese coals more too, the trick with japanese coals is using an extra coal (so three instead of two, four instead of three ect) I've also used lemonwood and these odd triangle stick ones. Not a fan of the lemonwood but the triangle ones where pretty awesome too though super ashy.

All in all my favorites are actually exotica finger coals, I cut them using a cheap $2 drywall saw. I will admit that ash is a bit of an issue but I enjoy coal management anyways and typically smoke in a garage or outside

Anyways how did you/are you enjoy those coals?

Thanks for bumping this thread lol I meant to tell everyone how I made out but I forgot lol

These coals are alright, they are round so I don't like to use them with just foil because they roll around a lot, but they are great for in my Kaloud Lotus their shape works with it perfectly. I score them with a steak knife just a little and they snap perfectly every time, I break one finger into 3 pieces and it works fine, though it can be a little too low of heat for some stuff.

The only thing I don't like is that they aren't the most pure of coconut coals, the ash is very yellowish/brownish and thats usually a sign of impurities in the coal. But they haven't killed me yet lol The other thing is that they are very dusty so they get your hands all black but thats not a big deal, it rinses off with water.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've heard that exotica coals are good, but that they do ash a lot. You're using the bamboo ones I assume?

Yeah those coals being round aren't very safe. If you pull the hose or knock the hookah you will most likely drop a coal.

TheSirBubblez, we don't care about necroing threads. I actually like to see old threads get new posts.

Yeah those coals being round aren't very safe. If you pull the hose or knock the hookah you will most likely drop a coal.

TheSirBubblez, we don't care about necroing threads. I actually like to see old threads get new posts.

Yea I don't know who engineered these but I honestly don't think they smoke hookah much because that is some common sense logic right there lol

And yea bumping old threads can stir up new conversation just as much as posting a brand new one, so feel free =)

Thanks for bumping this thread lol I meant to tell everyone how I made out but I forgot lol

These coals are alright, they are round so I don't like to use them with just foil because they roll around a lot, but they are great for in my Kaloud Lotus their shape works with it perfectly. I score them with a steak knife just a little and they snap perfectly every time, I break one finger into 3 pieces and it works fine, though it can be a little too low of heat for some stuff.

The only thing I don't like is that they aren't the most pure of coconut coals, the ash is very yellowish/brownish and thats usually a sign of impurities in the coal. But they haven't killed me yet lol The other thing is that they are very dusty so they get your hands all black but thats not a big deal, it rinses off with water.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've heard that exotica coals are good, but that they do ash a lot. You're using the bamboo ones I assume?

If you have sand paper you can sand one side flat, a friend of mine had round coals and out of frustration thats what he did, worked just fine after and took about 10 minutes to do.

I havent gotten to use the bamboo ones! They didnt sell them at my "go to" sources, to be honest i've returned to the internet world of hookah because local prices and selecton have dive bombed in recent years. But they are what i'm going to be buying with my first "group buy" But for now I just have experience with standard exotica natural wood coals. I actually am not a fan of how hot coconaras burn, maybe its because I was hookahing for years before they seriously caught on but really Japanese coals where my go to coals but the cheap brand (blue box, I think they where something eagle) stopped being sold so I switched to exotica.

If you have sand paper you can sand one side flat, a friend of mine had round coals and out of frustration thats what he did, worked just fine after and took about 10 minutes to do.

I havent gotten to use the bamboo ones! They didnt sell them at my "go to" sources, to be honest i've returned to the internet world of hookah because local prices and selecton have dive bombed in recent years. But they are what i'm going to be buying with my first "group buy" But for now I just have experience with standard exotica natural wood coals. I actually am not a fan of how hot coconaras burn, maybe its because I was hookahing for years before they seriously caught on but really Japanese coals where my go to coals but the cheap brand (blue box, I think they where something eagle) stopped being sold so I switched to exotica.

These coals are already relatively small, I think that would make them burn for even less time =(

I've never had luck with lemonwood or other wood coals, they always go out on me. I like my coconut coals the most, doesn't have to be coco nara, most of them are the same anyway.

These coals are already relatively small, I think that would make them burn for even less time =(

I've never had luck with lemonwood or other wood coals, they always go out on me. I like my coconut coals the most, doesn't have to be coco nara, most of them are the same anyway.

i've heard most coconut coals burn relatively the same. I've bever had too much of an issue with uniform wood coals going out though.. But I know alot of people do  and dislike them for other reasons.

They may last for relatively the same length of time but some burn hotter than others. The main I find with coconut is that some brands will have little ash and others ash so much that you have to clean up a mess. I've found that Starlight coconut coals work well for me.

I've never had an issue with wood coals going out but they require a bit more management. The main reason I don't use wood is because they are from a finite source and they leave the house with a smokey smell. Normally I like that smell but if you smoke as much as me then it would always smell that way. Haha