Question

so... every hookah forum has to have AT LEAST one of these posts, so... here we go.

my main hookah setup is a KM Dark Silver Shareef with a Sahara Smoke Nemesis vase.  Here's a photo from Sahara Smoke's site:

vase-nemesis-accessories-detail.png

It's a gorgeous vase, and I got it on clearance for $15.  It's about the perfect height for the downstem, and leaves about a half-inch between the bottom of the stem and the bottom of the base.

The biggest problem with this setup is that it is LOUD!!!!!  I don't notice it much in the summer when we have fans going and A/C window units deafening our senses, but the last few days, it's been cooler, and much more quiet in our apartment.  This always leads me to searching the internet for diffusers that might work with the KM, to which I find the Heba and the Pharaoh diffusers offered by Hookah-Shisha.  The only other ones that are really on the market are made for specific hookahs (Sahara Smoke makes one for their own hookahs, for instance).

Besides the lack of space under the bottom of the downstem, the other problem is that, because the vase narrows around the neck, the Heba and the Pharaoh won't go in.  They will either get stuck in the neck of the vase, or, if forced down, would get stuck permanently inside.  I needed DIY solutions.

In the past, I've tried taking an old film canister and puncturing a ton of holes in it, cutting some slits to make it stay on, and it works okay, except that it's just clumsy to use and it doesn't look very good.  It also didn't help that much.  I've seen people put straws in the bottom, but that doesn't feel right to me.  So I got to thinking - what's small, will stay on the bottom of the downstem, and won't be clumsy and awkward?

Then it came to me - would a bowl grommet stick to the bottom?  If so, would it allow enough smoke to come through?  And would it fit in the bottom and still allow the stem to go in all the way?

Turns out, IT DOES.

I rummaged through my collection of grommets (why I keep all of them, I have no earthly idea), and found an old, thin, clear plastic grommet.  The small end, with a little convincing, fits on the lip of the downstem perfectly.  I took a pair of scissors, cut slits on the large end, and stuck it on.  When I put the stem back on the vase, I noticed that the stem is actually even more stable than before, because the grommet hits the bottom of the vase and makes a second point of connection to the vase.

In my first couple tests with it, the volume level has decreased dramatically.  There's less of a gurgling feel to pulls from the hookah.  And, surprisingly, from using diffusers on other hookahs in the past where I did not experience this, the flavors seem to come through a little stronger.  It just tastes... clearer, if that makes any sense.

I have some photos on my phone - I'll upload them in a second.

• Like 1

51 answers to this question

I have several more of these style grommets in my collection.  Next weekend, the wifey's gonna be out of town, and I'm probably gonna make a DIY project out of another one to make one with as many holes as possible.  I'll probably use a soldering iron and put holes that are more circular and consistent on it and see how well that works.

Dude!!! Awesome job. Im sure this will help out a lot of people with KM's.

Dude!!! Awesome job. Im sure this will help out a lot of people with KM's.

Thanks!  I'm really loving how this is working.  Some minor improvements and this will be solid.

I'm going to try this as well haha I have some of those grommets laying around so why not

Might as well.  I dunno what would happen if you had sufficient clearance underneath the grommet - whether or not that would still quiet the hookah storm or not - but it's worth a shot.  Let me know how it goes!

Might as well.  I dunno what would happen if you had sufficient clearance underneath the grommet - whether or not that would still quiet the hookah storm or not - but it's worth a shot.  Let me know how it goes!

Yea I might have to find a way to close off the bottom of the grommet or use something else entirely. I've seen people use ping pong balls but thats too bit to fit in my stem. I'll have to do some thinking and see what I find.

Here is also an article that Paul wrote on "How to Use a Heba Diffuser" as well as the video

Thanks Nima.  As I mentioned above, my Heba and my Pharaoh don't fit because of the narrow width of the vase that I use, but it worked great when I used my Nammor :)

Edited by dougc84

What about using Roi Hookah Beads?  I have never had any luck with DIY diffusers, but if it works more power to you!

My DIY diffuser was made from the plastic ball found in Guinness cans. I simply poked a bunch of holes with an awl and then cut a hole the slightly larger than my down stem. Works perfectly

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

What about using Roi Hookah Beads?  I have never had any luck with DIY diffusers, but if it works more power to you!

I almost bought some of those but then I removed them from my cart at the last minute lol 

What about using Roi Hookah Beads? I have never had any luck with DIY diffusers, but if it works more power to you!

I don't like the fact that they go in the water. you need to throw them away when you're done :(

I want a diffuser for when I'm watching a show I'm really into, but I found that loading the base with ice does a pretty decent job as well. I mean like really loading it with ice. I use 3 ice trays with just a bit of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the fact that they go in the water. you need to throw them away when you're done :(

Everywhere I have read says they are reusable, up to 10 or 15 times, I forget which. Also if you let them sit out they will shrink back down to almost regular size.

I want a diffuser for when I'm watching a show I'm really into, but I found that loading the base with ice does a pretty decent job as well. I mean like really loading it with ice. I use 3 ice trays with just a bit of water.

Doesn't that hurt the flavor for you? The few times I tried ice it just got rid of the flavor and it wasn't as good. 

Everywhere I have read says they are reusable, up to 10 or 15 times, I forget which. Also if you let them sit out they will shrink back down to almost regular size.

Doesn't that hurt the flavor for you? The few times I tried ice it just got rid of the flavor and it wasn't as good.

interesting about that. but a product id have to buy more of weekly... doesn't seem like one id want to invest in.

I've never had problems with using ice personally. I usually do at least one vase full of ice a week.

interesting about that. but a product id have to buy more of weekly... doesn't seem like one id want to invest in.

I've never had problems with using ice personally. I usually do at least one vase full of ice a week.

Yea thats pretty much why I didn't get them.

Weird, maybe I should try it again its been a while.

It definitely makes it more mellow. Way more so I only use it when I'm smoking something minty or a mix with absolute zero. The rest of the flavor I have to deal with a louder volume on the tv. Lol.

I was given a couple of these once, they make the best homemade diffusers ever. I don't have mine anymore but it actually fit entirely around the down stem (different sizes) and I made a ton of really small holes (used a large sewing needle) also the rubber sealed perfectly and was easy to remove.

• Like 1

That is really cool. Might pick up a few to give to friends.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

• Like 1

I realized I never uploaded a picture of my homemade diffuser, so I dug it out and snapped a few pictures.

It fits snugly on most downstems, not a KM though.

post-9263-14150277963145_thumb.jpg

post-9263-14150278157544_thumb.jpg

• Like 1