Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dd0723

Today's Apple Announcements at the 2014 WWDC

So how many people got excited about today's Apple's announcement at the WWDC? nobody? yeah, me neither. As much as I love Apple, the real Innovator is unfortunately 6ft under probably rolling over about the disaster that was presented to the public on stage today. I don't just mean the stuff they copied and are calling their own, but the horrible, horrible jokes they made in an attempt to attract the younger generations as new Apple customer by pretending to be "Hip".
First of all, no 50+ year old programmer should attempt at making duck faces and taking selfies in front of 6000 attendees. Sorry but you are NOT cool. That just makes you look like a desperate creepy old rich man.

There was nothing new, and I'm ashamed to say that the new features introduced today blatantly copied everything from somebody else. Really, nothing new.

Lets take for example the keyboard. For how many years now has Android had that keyboard? yeah, that long. I personally don't like the android keyboard but is now coming to IOS, and I hope that we have a way to turn that feature off.

The inline photos and voice message for iChat on IOS has been integrated into apps like WhatsApp for over a year now. Again, nothing new for us, but new to Apple.

Another thing that I noticed is the changes that they are doing to the Spotlight search feature on their desktops. If you haven't seen it, well, it looks and works EXACTLY the same way as the Google desktop from way back during the Windows XP days. I'm sure some don't remember it but I do. It was only discontinued in 2011 by Google and It was a very helpful widget that could be invoked on a PC by pressing a combination of keys and would bring up a search bar right in the middle of the screen and would not only search your computer locally, but would also provide suggestions from the web as long as the computer had an internet connection.
Yeah, Spotlight on the Mac will now do the same thing.

These are just 3 of the many things that pissed me off today. Don't get me started on the name either. Once they ran out of big cats to name after their operating system, now they are using California places like Mavericks and now the new one coming this fall, "Yosemite". Yawn. Why only California?

Lastly, and I was just talking to a friend about this over lunch today about the insane amount of Scripting Languages out there for a young student to learn; in an attempt at getting more programmers on board to their developers program, they have created a new programming language called "Swift". Lord have mercy why?!?
It's not going to be a replacement of the current cocoa language but an addition to it. As if programmers don't have enough shit on their plate to worry about, now they have to go learn a brand new syntax for a brand new language so that they can continue selling their asses to the devil for .99 cents per download.

Now I'm not saying all of this is bad, it's actually quite good for users completely engulfed in the Mac ecosystem like myself, but also this is something a lot of us have been wanting for a very long time now.
Since there was no new announcement for the iPhone 6, Macs, AppleTV or iTunes, we can expect at least two more big announcements; one next month and the next one right around September/October.

Now excuse me while I go to my developers account and download the beta of OSX "Yosemite". Ay Caramba.

at this point, there's not much "new" innovation to be had - it's simply tweaks, improvement, and UI. I'm excited about both the updates to ios and to OS X, but I agree that they are present in other places, and nothing is really "new."

but let's think about this - android ripped off ios. apple rips off features. apple gets sued. Google gets counter sued. google releases ios features. apple releases android features. everyone sues everyone again. the cycle is awful and full of patent infringement. nothing is a new idea any longer - the big improvements from now on will always be in the small things.

but you're wrong about swift. objective c is a horrible, unintuitive language to learn. no one except developers that work on the OS level (such as developing apps that are shipped with the OS) still program in C or variants thereof. most ios programmers use a wrapper around objective c, such as rubymotion. there's tens of them out there.

swift makes objective c work and feel like a functional language, and you get modern programming concepts that save a ton of time, such as closures. personally it might make me actually open Xcode and try to build something.

also iPhone and iPad announcements are always in the fall, and WWDC rarely announces new hardware (last years Mac Pro was an exception). that's nothing new, but something everyone forgets about.

Yea, it's been sad to see Apple not innovating much lately. There are so many areas they can come up with a revolutionary technology. They've been suing the shit out of everybody though. 

at this point, there's not much "new" innovation to be had - it's simply tweaks, improvement, and UI. I'm excited about both the updates to ios and to OS X, but I agree that they are present in other places, and nothing is really "new."

but let's think about this - android ripped off ios. apple rips off features. apple gets sued. Google gets counter sued. google releases ios features. apple releases android features. everyone sues everyone again. the cycle is awful and full of patent infringement. nothing is a new idea any longer - the big improvements from now on will always be in the small things.

but you're wrong about swift. objective c is a horrible, unintuitive language to learn. no one except developers that work on the OS level (such as developing apps that are shipped with the OS) still program in C or variants thereof. most ios programmers use a wrapper around objective c, such as rubymotion. there's tens of them out there.

swift makes objective c work and feel like a functional language, and you get modern programming concepts that save a ton of time, such as closures. personally it might make me actually open Xcode and try to build something.

yeah they are definitely trying to open up their developer's platform to new users by making it easier. I just personally think there are better options than going and creating a whole new language. I mean why didn't they just improve on the automator syntax and used that?

I downloaded the book but I haven't opened it yet, so I guess I will be taking a look at the swift programming language tonight before I say any more.