Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSirBubblez

Decent "cheap" hookahs.

Question

Now I understand quality is important with hookahs just like any hobby. But I get this question asked ALL the time. So basically I socialize quite alot and people see my MYA Acrylic and assume its a cheap-o hookah, so when they find out it's well above $50 they get really discouraged about the whole hookah hobby and ask me if there's any "beginner" (cheap) hookahs. Now I love hookah but I admit if I hadnt lucked out on my first hookah I would have never gotten into the hobby.  The only hookahs (that are still on the market) I have experience with that are/where under $50 are the QT and Bambino but  the bambino has gone way up in price in recent years it seems, so what would be "decent" sub $50 hookahs?  Social Smoke seems to have a few, StarBuzz has one too from what i've seen, but i'm really not fimilar enough with anything by Social Smoke or SB to reccommend them to anyone.

lt;dr forming a list of Sub $50 hookahs to introduce people into the hobby with hopefully beyond MYA?

13 answers to this question

I would certainly recommend social smoke. their lower priced stuff does suffer slightly in build quality (thinner and cheaper metals mainly), but it's not anything someone starting out would ever notice. I've had several social smoke hookahs and they've all been great.

There are pumpkin hookahs, but they are so small that water often gets into the hose and ruins everything. And they are...just not good lol I can't think of any other than the Mya Petite but I'm sure you've already found that one.

I'll keep thinking about it.

So after looking around a bit more I've found two that seem interesting:

The Social Smoke mini hookah in box

Starbuzz Neutrino

The Social Smoke is made in China but its chrome plated brass (like MYA) so its peaked my interest, i'm considering trying it out since I have a little cash to burn.

Basically for new people I usually try to recommend something that will last about a year with regular use, is easy to clean and is easy to fill/manage (see through vase)

So after looking around a bit more I've found two that seem interesting:

The Social Smoke mini hookah in box

Starbuzz Neutrino

The Social Smoke is made in China but its chrome plated brass (like MYA) so its peaked my interest, i'm considering trying it out since I have a little cash to burn.

Basically for new people I usually try to recommend something that will last about a year with regular use, is easy to clean and is easy to fill/manage (see through vase)

In my opinion, I'd get the social smoke.

In my opinion, I'd get the social smoke.

I might grab it, i'm hesitent because I hate getting bad products but it doesnt seem like anyone anywhere has tried that specific model and Social Smoke has always been trustworthy in my experience.

I would have to be biased for Social Smoke because they really are super awesome people all the way around.

Hookah John has a video comparing a starbuzz unicus (Less than $50) to a Khalil Mamoon ($100+) Beast and the clouds were virtually the same.

I'd just spend the money that it is and go for a mya bambino or starbuzz unicus, throw the bowl they send you at the wall and get a tangiers small phunnel. You are literally set for 6 months with that setup.

There are just some things in the world you can't go cheap on or you end up doubling your money anyway. I bought a washable shika hose for $10, less than 2 months with a few washes the yarn unravels and the tip gets bent crooked. You get what you pay for with hookah.

I want to add now for future readers the social smoke mini hookah does not come with a box. It does not have a proper grommet for the vase or the vase is too big. Within a month the downstem stripped and would not work. Do not buy lol ruined my girlfriends first hookah experience.

Not sure about all the social smoke hookahs, but mine didn't come with a box either, however it did come with a carrying case which worked out beautifully for me when I went on vacation last September. 

We didn't even get the bag. I'd buy a magdy/SS crossover hookah but never a small one again. I've had Chinese pipes last longer when I first got into smoking.

I think they might have started providing the bags recently because it's their own branded bag that they also sell separately. 

I guess we missed that, it was in july I think that all this happened.

I don't knock them as a company at all for it, I just believe their strong suit is not smaller hookahs. I love voltage, mobster, and blue raspberry, they'll never NOT get my business if they keep those the same haha this is but a minor speed bump in the social smoke voyage.