Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nima

July Giveaway: 30" Modern Hookah from HookahHub.com

Thanks to HookahHub.com, we're going to have another giveaway this July.

Prize: Drop Venom Modern Hookah Pipe 30" ($159.00 + Free Shipping)

post-1-0-54973400-1404139030_thumb.jpg

The rules are simple:

HookahHub.com has a new website design.

1. Check out HookahHub.com's new modern design and layout
  2. Write a 2+ paragraph review of their new website design on this thread
  3. If we have 20 or reviews the prize will be given to a random reviewer.

Alrighty guys, I guess I'll be the one to kick this off.  Bear in mind, I'm a web developer and designer, so I might see things that other people may not even notice.  ANYWHO...

I can't say I've shopped with HookahHub.com, but I really like their site - on the desktop.  Everything is laid out very nicely, and while I'm not a fan of the "dirty yellow" at the top of the page (nothing else on the site is that color except the hero boxes/slider on the home page), it's a very appealing site.  The navigation is simple and useful, and they did a good job of putting the sales/deals, shipping, contact and support, etc. links in a very visible position but out of the way (at the very top of the page).  The main navigation is laid out very well, though I probably would combine "Shisha Tobacco" and "Herbal Shisha" in the navigation.  The hero unit/slider with all the deals moves a little fast - you don't have enough time to really read it before the next one slides in.

On the product pages, everything is clean and laid out quite nicely.  Each product has a short detail, and a larger detail section, and sales/deals are listed right in line, making you feel like you're getting the best bang for your buck without even having to google for coupon codes.  The "points" area is a little vague - without doing more research, I don't really know what that is - but I assume it's like any other hookah site where you can earn points to be redeemed like cash at a later time.

There are several UI issues - the footer dividers are a weird color, and the "live help" button on the left side of the page, while useful, looks out of place, as it's the only thing green on the entire site.  Also, since so much is red and orange, it's easy to walk away unimpressed by the layout.  I would maybe recommend adding in additional colors in other places, like maybe Twitter blue, just for some accents.

As for the products they sell, I'm not overly impressed with their selection.  The hookahs look nice, but without listing any sort of brand name, I get the same feeling as going to the local hookah shop with all their no-names on the shelf.  There are definitely some pretty ones, and the drop venom for the giveaway is probably one of my favorites, but I know nothing about the quality.  Same with the tobacco - much of the selection is limited.  Nakhla has two flavors and only 50g boxes.  There's the AF Arena tobacco that I've never heard of though, which sounds great, but I have no idea what each of the flavors are.  Hookah-Shisha does an OK (not great) job at putting links in most of their tobaccos to blog entries that describe the strangely-named tobaccos - that would be nice to see here as well.  The "value packs" menu option takes you to a page that is also tobacco and coals, which is a little misleading.  I thought it would be something like a package with a hookah, some tobacco, an upgraded hose, a different bowl, etc. or clearance or overstock items.

I did not try out the purchasing process, but I see the SSL badge at the bottom.  While their site does not redirect to https by default, I'm assuming that is done when you're ready to give your credit card information.

I visited the site on my iPhone, and this is where things break down for me.  While the "mobile optimized" site provides most of everything the desktop site does, I'm still confused that, in today's web development world, why people opt to use a separate service or plugin altogether to run their mobile site instead of just building out everything responsive to start with.  They use a product called Twigmo, and it just feels dated.  If I visited this site for the first time on my iPhone, I would have walked away instantly.  I want to see a responsive site, NOT a service.

Overall, I don't know if I personally would shop here, as my favorite shisha tobacco brands are Nakhla (which has an extremely limited selection) and Tangiers (which isn't present at all).  I also don't believe that this is a "modern design and layout," as it's not responsive.  However, it is a very clean site that, for a particular subset of hookah smokers, will have a great appeal.

Ok, so here is my review. After looking at their design I find it easy to use. A layman like myself would have no issues finding what I want on it. The home page shows all the current deals they have going, to allow you to scan quickly for what you might want to take advantage of.

I do like the drop down method they used for searching thru there other areas, it works well on android systems, and makes it faster to search thru the site. To be fair, I have become accustomed to certain online stores at the moment, but if the occasion should arrise that I am looking for something or a new supplier, I wont be against checking them out, and the new layout makes it easier to use. Thats my honest opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Hookah.org mobile app

I'm going to start off by saying that the initial loading of the site took a minute for me but after that browsing was decently smooth.

Obviously, the first thing you see is the large "dirty yellow" banner at the top. I don't really mind this color and this section of the site functions well. I agree with Doug, the green live help button is a little awkward. It surely sticks out and that is great but like he said nothing else is green. The drop down menus were actually refreshing and nice to see. They were done pretty well, no issue with them accidentally closing or navigating to something else. Kudos for that, many sites I have issues with because of that. All the links up top are wonderful, not in the way but also not tucked away so as you cannot find them. My favourite part about those links is the Canadian Orders. I am not Canadian but our friend, HookahHooligan, is and that information is great to know!

The search function while easy to spot is not the greatest. I searched for many things and I could easily find them, save for hoses. Those got bunched up in with hookahs, and actually only 3 or 4 hoses were displayed on the initial search page. I can understand that it is most likely due to the word hose being in the description of the hookahs.

Navigating through merchandise was easy and I did like the slider on the side for Shop By Price. I also noticed that although Nakhla(my favourite tobacco) is offered there is a very small selection.

I went on the site with my Moto X and I was not impressed, clearly this site is meant to be viewed on a PC, laptop or tablet.

Overall: 15/20 It is a good site and pretty easy to navigate but I'm not exactly impressed by any means.

Thank you for all of your valuable feedback. We decided we agreed with you and so I'm happy to let you know that we've just launched our brand new and improved HookahHub.com with a totally new look and layout and new features and functionality. Plus it's mobile optimized and works on any and all devices. Please take a look at the new improved HookahHub.com and let us know what you think? Even though this contest was for July we're still willing to give away a free Drop Venom 30" Hookah if we get over 20 reviews!

Alrighty guys, I guess I'll be the one to kick this off.  Bear in mind, I'm a web developer and designer, so I might see things that other people may not even notice.  ANYWHO...

I can't say I've shopped with HookahHub.com, but I really like their site - on the desktop.  Everything is laid out very nicely, and while I'm not a fan of the "dirty yellow" at the top of the page (nothing else on the site is that color except the hero boxes/slider on the home page), it's a very appealing site.  The navigation is simple and useful, and they did a good job of putting the sales/deals, shipping, contact and support, etc. links in a very visible position but out of the way (at the very top of the page).  The main navigation is laid out very well, though I probably would combine "Shisha Tobacco" and "Herbal Shisha" in the navigation.  The hero unit/slider with all the deals moves a little fast - you don't have enough time to really read it before the next one slides in.

On the product pages, everything is clean and laid out quite nicely.  Each product has a short detail, and a larger detail section, and sales/deals are listed right in line, making you feel like you're getting the best bang for your buck without even having to google for coupon codes.  The "points" area is a little vague - without doing more research, I don't really know what that is - but I assume it's like any other hookah site where you can earn points to be redeemed like cash at a later time.

There are several UI issues - the footer dividers are a weird color, and the "live help" button on the left side of the page, while useful, looks out of place, as it's the only thing green on the entire site.  Also, since so much is red and orange, it's easy to walk away unimpressed by the layout.  I would maybe recommend adding in additional colors in other places, like maybe Twitter blue, just for some accents.

As for the products they sell, I'm not overly impressed with their selection.  The hookahs look nice, but without listing any sort of brand name, I get the same feeling as going to the local hookah shop with all their no-names on the shelf.  There are definitely some pretty ones, and the drop venom for the giveaway is probably one of my favorites, but I know nothing about the quality.  Same with the tobacco - much of the selection is limited.  Nakhla has two flavors and only 50g boxes.  There's the AF Arena tobacco that I've never heard of though, which sounds great, but I have no idea what each of the flavors are.  Hookah-Shisha does an OK (not great) job at putting links in most of their tobaccos to blog entries that describe the strangely-named tobaccos - that would be nice to see here as well.  The "value packs" menu option takes you to a page that is also tobacco and coals, which is a little misleading.  I thought it would be something like a package with a hookah, some tobacco, an upgraded hose, a different bowl, etc. or clearance or overstock items.

I did not try out the purchasing process, but I see the SSL badge at the bottom.  While their site does not redirect to https by default, I'm assuming that is done when you're ready to give your credit card information.

I visited the site on my iPhone, and this is where things break down for me.  While the "mobile optimized" site provides most of everything the desktop site does, I'm still confused that, in today's web development world, why people opt to use a separate service or plugin altogether to run their mobile site instead of just building out everything responsive to start with.  They use a product called Twigmo, and it just feels dated.  If I visited this site for the first time on my iPhone, I would have walked away instantly.  I want to see a responsive site, NOT a service.

Overall, I don't know if I personally would shop here, as my favorite shisha tobacco brands are Nakhla (which has an extremely limited selection) and Tangiers (which isn't present at all).  I also don't believe that this is a "modern design and layout," as it's not responsive.  However, it is a very clean site that, for a particular subset of hookah smokers, will have a great appeal.

You go Doug 

Thank you for all of your valuable feedback. We decided we agreed with you and so I'm happy to let you know that we've just launched our brand new and improved HookahHub.com with a totally new look and layout and new features and functionality. Plus it's mobile optimized and works on any and all devices. Please take a look at the new improved HookahHub.com and let us know what you think? Even though this contest was for July we're still willing to give away a free Drop Venom 30" Hookah if we get over 20 reviews!

That's awesome and thank you for continuing the giveaway :)

That's awesome. I only took a quick look at the site on my phone, and found it significantly improved from before. I was browsing through product inventory without thinking about the aesthetics.

Now, we need some other forum members to do a quick review! Come on guys and gals!

With the current changes I suppose I'll give you some feedback:

Upon my first stumble onto hookahhub I was greeted with a pleasant color scheme and a setup that seemed very user friendly. As I dove in more I saw that after clicking on a category, a list of subcategories will drop down showing you exactly what is inside. I like this a lot. Some other sites make you scroll through thumbnails and long lists to find the subcategory that you need which slows the process. I think the secured payment process is another plus, many other sites do not advertise that they do, IF they even do. You guys boast it. The fact that you offer live help is another great thing. No longer will you have to wait days for a email response like others seem to love to do to you. Overall, I believe this site may just be the easiest to navigate. However........

What will deter most customers that come across you guys is the selection. Where are your brands guys? As a more picky consumer that doesn't smoke Starbuzz, Fantasia, hookah-hookah, hookah-freak, or ayam I'm limited to a grand total of four tobacco brands to chose from. My two favorites that you carry Nak and Al Fakher have the most limited selection that I've ever seen online. Same goes for pipes, you can't just carry saharas and small hookahs if you are an online retailer. Basically, You need a vast amount of diversity in your site.

I personally wouldn't order from your site because I can't find any item that I would want to purchase at this time. There is a select group of smokers that you guys are limiting yourself to it seems.

P.s. I take out points for stocking vapor and ecigs and using the term "ehookah." if you are a hookah retailer then be a hookah retailer, vapor isn't hookah. Simple as that. Otherwise it's a great layout.

Thank you all for your feedback, however we must remind you that this is a new design/layout review and NOT a product/brand/selection review. If you want to be considered for this contest please keep your reviews to the original posted contest guidelines:

1. Check out HookahHub.com's new modern design and layout
  2. Write a 2+ paragraph review of their new website design on this thread
  3. If we have 20 or reviews the prize will be given to a random reviewer.

You all have you personal opinions on brands and selection, but that is not what this contest is about. Therefore please keep your reviews to the original posted guidelines posted above thank you.

That's the review you will be getting from me. I did write about the site same with doug, Chernobyl, and wvloony, you asked for personal opinions (Which is a review guys) and we gave them including site selection which IS an overall part of your site layout.

That's the review you will be getting from me. I did write about the site same with doug, Chernobyl, and wvloony, you asked for personal opinions (Which is a review guys) and we gave them including site selection which IS an overall part of your site layout.

Yes, and this particular giveaway is focused on the design aspects of the site not product selection. I'm sure Paul, HookahHub.com's owner, will bring that up in a different thread at another time.

As I said, the selection is part of the layout. If you are going to review the layout you have to look directly at the selection menus colors thus seeing the lack of selection. It'd be unlike forum members NOT to tell it how it is.

If paul really is running that site then even he knows he needs more nak. 4 flavors with no 250 options is no bueno.

As I said, the selection is part of the layout. If you are going to review the layout you have to look directly at the selection menus colors thus seeing the lack of selection. It'd be unlike forum members NOT to tell it how it is.

If paul really is running that site then even he knows he needs more nak. 4 flavors with no 250 options is no bueno.

This is a giveaway sponsored by HookahHub.com and they've put it up to get feedback on their new design. They've spent time re-designing their website and are looking for honest feedback about the design. The selection is NOT part of the design, its part of the bigger picture which is not the topic of this thread. 

I'm sure Paul is well aware of the selection issues there and is either working on it or has a good reason not to

The selection is part of the site or there would not be a site in general. The directions are to review the site and focus on the layout. As I have said twice now the selection menus are part of the WHOLE site that we are supposed to review. Forum members will say what they truly think nima because that is how a review goes. If hookahhub wants to disqualify the 4 entries that they even have so be it. They won't be getting my business anytime soon because of this AND their site in general; as Chernobyl said "I'm not impressed"

By the way Websters dictionary definition of review: Give opinion on something: To write a journalistic report on the quality of an object.

That's what we did. We gave the layout an in depth review which includes our personal opinion as the definition of Review states.

The selection is part of the site or there would not be a site in general. The directions are to review the site and focus on the layout. As I have said twice now the selection menus are part of the WHOLE site that we are supposed to review. Forum members will say what they truly think nima because that is how a review goes. If hookahhub wants to disqualify the 4 entries that they even have so be it. They won't be getting my business anytime soon because of this AND their site in general; as Chernobyl said "I'm not impressed"

By the way Websters dictionary definition of review: Give opinion on something: To write a journalistic report on the quality of an object.

That's what we did. We gave the layout an in depth review which includes our personal opinion as the definition of Review states.

You partially correct, I was not impressed. It wasn't because of their selection, that is a whole different topic. It was because their old version of the site was not great. I'm actually going through the site again to do a second review, even if it doesn't count.

The selection is part of the site or there would not be a site in general. The directions are to review the site and focus on the layout. As I have said twice now the selection menus are part of the WHOLE site that we are supposed to review. Forum members will say what they truly think nima because that is how a review goes. If hookahhub wants to disqualify the 4 entries that they even have so be it. They won't be getting my business anytime soon because of this AND their site in general; as Chernobyl said "I'm not impressed"

Ok. Maybe the problem is the way you got about giving your review. You turn a good constructive thread to a confrontational and non-constructive one. You did it I don't mind criticism. In fact I encourage it but your criticisms seem confrontational when sitting on the other side of the conversation. Doug and others have posted reviews here too and no one's complained. 

Any business owner will tell you product selection is a different task, different project, and responsibility of a different group than the website design. You might plan them both ahead but you tackle one at a time. Right now Paul seems to be working on HookahHub.com's design and he is asking for feedback. He changed the website to be better and more responsive after the first try wasn't so successful. So he obviously values the feedback that he gets.

Its not about shutting people up. Its about keep the thread friendly.

Everyone else but wvloony said the selection is sub-par. It is NOT just me. To say no one else complained is an understatement.

If hookahhub doesn't want to be clear UNTIL there are already entries, count me completely out.

I'm going to be the person on every thread to say how it is. If someone sees that as confrontational it's no skin off my back because I know how my words were typed and meant to be read. I'm not trying to get on anyone's good or bad side, companies, administrators, and members alike. I want to be neutral here and unbias.

Smoking right now was always hookah related and shouldn't include some fad that is not related to hookah whatsoever. NOW there is a separate thread for it, I do not see a point in even bringing it up. In regards to teaching girls how to make videos, I don't see the point and what do you know the main people who frequent the forum were on a similar page with that whole deal. There are reviewers I personally know and talk to that deserve the shot way more and do not need any advice on video production/content. You've looked for a year you say, maybe a year isn't long enough and this would be settling if they were picked.

I guess my comment could have been taken as saying it was sub par but really I just was surprised since Nakhla is so popular.

I'm glad that you aren't afraid to say your opinion. It's a great trait more people should have actually. I think the main problem is that since it is written instead of spoken you don't get certain contexts.

Why not try to get those people to work with Nima and produce videos for him?

Yes please try to stay on the friendly side, Dude, I know I've said that to you before and so have others. This is not a place for arguing its a place for conversation, sharing information, and friendly debate, at times. Yes, you were asked your opinion on the site design, and while you did give your opinion and it is a review, its not an opinion or review on the right subject matter.

But aside from that, what I think the problem here and in other threads is how you come off when you post things. You are flat out rude at times and like Nima said, highly confrontational. If thats how you want to be, then I guess thats you, but I can say that I personally dont like that around here and its exactly why I'm an active member and moderator on this forum and no other hookah forums. The sight motto is "a friendly bunch of hookah smokers" and unfortunately you are making this an unfriendly place to hang out. I know you can be cool, because most of the time you are. So please try to stick to that and remember the motto when you post.

Because I said "I'm sure vapes have forums" and gave my 100% honest opinion about some girls who I don't feel are qualified for the task of keeping this the most knowledgeable place around for anything hookah I get called unfriendly.

Well I'll give you the girl comment (Not the other one in the slightest) but it was in a place only registered users could see, and given only 6 users really visit frequently beside myself I really let my true thoughts out because I talk to you 6 on other threads regularly.

Other than that one thread I am friendly about everything I see. I like talking to people who actually love hookah and are geeks about it. That's why I have stayed on this one over others.

It sucks my words get taken out of context basically. I apologize for anything that has been taken that way. I never want to come on here and be rude to anyone directly. I just try not to censor myself. I'm not a confrontational person by nature I'm blunt in writing it seems. lol

Once again. its not about not criticizing or not talking. Its about being friendly about it and as Jen said have a conversation not attack attach attack

Well that went to a whole different place.  Yeech.  Can't we all just get along?

As a web developer, I am aware that the terms "design" and "layout" both refer purely to the aesthetics, but I can easily see where not everyone would understand that particular meaning.  Despite what products are listed, the "design," in this sense, relates to things like:

• Color choices
  • Font choice, size, and spacing
  • How images appear on the page
  • The general flow and process as someone navigates through the site
  • Spacing and placement of buttons, icons, images, etc.
  • How's the quality?  Do images appear crisp, or blurry?
  • Does it get you where you need to go quickly?  Did it take a couple clicks, or 20, just to get to a product page?
  • Does it provide the information where you expect it?
  • Is there anything distracting?  Does something not "feel right" about the site?

I can understand your viewpoint of the products not being up to par, Dude.  The lack of shisha tobacco brands that I prefer is a reason I wouldn't shop here often either.  But you can make a qualitative analysis of how a product page looks, regardless if it is a type of tobacco, or pipe, or even a vapor pen, that you would personally choose.  And you did, in fact, give a full-on "review" of the site.  Kudos for that.  I know you have strong viewpoints on certain things, products, etc., and that's cool.  But the request was, in fact, for the "design" of the site (a term they used 3 times in the original post), and you got a little emotionally invested in the fact they sell "eHookahs."  Trust me, I get it.

I think we all need to remember, myself included, that we're here to have fun, discuss what we like, and what we don't like.  It's hookah, for crap's unicorn.  We aren't discussing politics, the death penalty, or abortion.  And, like Hooligan so nicely said, we want to keep things friendly around here.  Let's keep it that way - especially as a social hobby.  As a general rule, we should all consider, before posting comments about anything around here (or hell, anything on the internet in general, for that matter):

• Should I even post this comment?  Or am I just responding to respond?
  • Does this comment contribute to the conversation being held during the last few posts, or the topic of the conversation?  We all get derailed and hi-jack threads, but it's a conversation, and, for this forum, we've pretty much all agreed that it's okay, as long as it's contributing.
  • Does the tone of this comment seem harsh for someone that isn't me?  Saying something passive-aggressive could be thought of as joking to yourself, but could actually be seen as an attack on others.  We can't infer but so much emotion from plain text, especially when most (if not all) of us have never met in real life.

And that's all I have to say about that.  Hugs all around.

• Should I even post this comment?  Or am I just responding to respond?
  • Does this comment contribute to the conversation being held during the last few posts, or the topic of the conversation?  We all get derailed and hi-jack threads, but it's a conversation, and, for this forum, we've pretty much all agreed that it's okay, as long as it's contributing.
  • Does the tone of this comment seem harsh for someone that isn't me?  Saying something passive-aggressive could be thought of as joking to yourself, but could actually be seen as an attack on others.  We can't infer but so much emotion from plain text, especially when most (if not all) of us have never met in real life.

And that's all I have to say about that.  Hugs all around.

I am guilty of that first one for sure, I post stuff that adds nothing to the conversation what so ever all the time haha Sometimes I catch myself and just dont post it, other times I dont realize till hours later and I just think to myself "well that was dumb" lol