Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheEightyFour

Nakhla - Weak, Short-Lived Smoke

Question

I've been smoking a lot of Nakhla lately, particularly Mizo Mint, but Strawberry as well.  I've been having great sessions until about a week ago.  The flavor that comes through is nice and strong, but the smoke and the clouds are sub-par, at best.  I've tried with a standard "fluff pack," a slightly denser pack.  I've tried with foil (with and without a wind cover) and with the Kaloud Lotus.  I always stir up the tobacco before using.  I've tried different bowls.  I've also cleaned the hookah out completely.  I even tried adding extra heat... which... was a bad idea.

I did check my hookah for leaks, and found my base grommet's letting a little air through, but I fixed that with a little electrical tape and now there are no leaks.  In that same respect, the bowl grommet is on very snugly.  Water level is what it always has been, and I've tried both with and without a grommet.

I don't think I'm missing anything, but I'm not really sure why I'm getting such a weak smoke all of a sudden.  Any suggestions?  Am I overlooking something?

I'm gonna try with some different coals and see if maybe I've just got a few duds that have caused issues, but it seems if the tobacco was burned by adding on just one extra coal, that's can't be the issue either.  When I pull the foil or the Lotus off, it's black and crispy anyway.

7 answers to this question

I decided to give my hookah a deep clean - used yet another bowl, clean out all the ports really well with a brush and some lemon juice, cleaned my Lotus to near sparkling, grabbed a different hose... and it's doing great now.  There must have been some obstruction somewhere, maybe in the hose port, I dunno, that I didn't see.  It might be possible that the ball bearing in the purge wasn't making a good connection either - it was kinda mucky.

Either way, solved.

Apparently it's not limited to Nakhla.  I'm smoking some Social Smoke Mint, and same issue.  Social Smoke should give me HUGE clouds, and I have 3 coals on the bowl.

Last comment of the night - I tried a different base, washed out my downstem, and loaded up a different bowl (again).  Same issues.  I'm lost for what's going on here.

Hmm that's pretty interesting. I do hate how you can set it up the same every time but yet something messes with smoke output.

You said you checked everything but never mentioned anything about your hose. I know it's a long shot but might as well check.

Sent from my XT1060 using Hookah.org mobile app

Yup. Changed my hose too. I think there was something in it because the draw is improved but the smoke output didn't get any better.

Science fact:

Cloud output highly depends on weather. If you have high humidity you get less big clouds because the air can't mount all wetness ergo less smoke.

Dry/hot weather with a small amount of humidity -> bigger clouds.

So if the weather changes a lot, try to acclimate the tobacco ( leave the tin or whatever open for 20-30mins)and you'll get more smoke.

Whenever I order shisha in the states (shipping to germany) I have to do the same. The tobacco is produced in other weather circumstances.