Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dd0723

Image compressing tool

Hi guys, 

I figured that with the issues we had at the beginning of the site re-do with the images in the gallery being too large, I would share a bit of information that I started using not long ago. 

For some odd reason it just hit me tonight that not everybody is a tech geek like me, and one thing I need to learn is to share. 

One thing that we all would like to do is be able to manipulate the original size of an image to be able to uploaded to different places. With phones now taking pictures upwards of 13 megapixels, sometimes it's a bit difficult to manage those images. We sometimes seem to forget that the image we see in our phones is quite large. 

When I'm at my computer, it's very easy for me to just open the image in my mac, and with a few clicks I have a more manageable image, but not everybody has a mac, and not everybody wants to deal with image resizing. 

A while ago I came across a website with a free online tool called compressor.io

It's a non destructive tool, meaning that the original is unaffected. The best part is that it reduces the size of the image without actually resizing size in pixels. So if your image is 900x600, it will stay at that size.  That makes it easier to upload to different websites and remain the same size that you want. 

You can also save it to your dropbox or google drive account if you don't want to download it to your desktop. 

Give it a try and see if you like it. I figured I would share with all. :)

That's really nice. For ages I've been using smush.it by Yahoo but this one looks better 

I wasn't even aware of smash.it until now. I tried it and it's ok, but I enjoy the simplicity of dropping the image on the site and just clicking to compress. It's pretty new, so I'm not sure if it can be integrated with other systems, but smush.it integration with wordpress is pretty cool.