Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question

Cheers, I just want to show you my traditional packing method. On first sight it may appear like what the fuck is this dude doing.

I'll show it with pictures and a description.

Let's go:

I: Here you can see I use a glas vortex bowl for demonstration. (67,6g weight)

post-9574-0-09457700-1409770432_thumb.jp

II: Crazy overpacking. You have to watch out there shouldn't be air pockets within the shisha  otherwise it will burn. Packed Nakhla Mizo apricot.

post-9574-0-68795700-1409770449_thumb.jp

III: Another pic of the scale, ~ 20g packed.

post-9574-0-16469800-1409770462_thumb.jp

IV: Two layers of tin foil (one layer is okay, too). Don't tighten it too much there must be a little  bump so you know you packed enough shisha. After that make some big a$$ holes. Those holes will guarantee nice  airflow.

post-9574-0-37201200-1409770475_thumb.jp

V: Place the bowl on top of your hookah and start the round with 2 naras (or other coal, please be sure you're able to control the heat) You don't have to put them on the edges they'll work anywhere (on the foil  :D ).

post-9574-0-73193300-1409770497_thumb.jp

VI: Finally you'll receive huge clouds and a nice flavour you never tasted before. (best way to pack nakhla btw) Enjoy your 1,5h session

post-9574-0-66326700-1409770517_thumb.jp

PS: Please don't mind the grammatical errors  B) 

7 answers to this question

Lol I like you say it's traditional packing yet you are smoking the farthest thing from a traditional bowl.

Nak goes in a Egyptian bowl or hemi for the vast majority of the hookah smoking world. Period

This is a overpack method for a vortex, not a traditional packing method.

In Egypt they pack more than that and will not use foil very often. The old dudes in this culture swear by overpacking and placing the coals straight on the tobacco and not smoking it for ten minutes or so. The tobacco builds up a nice char and makes it's own screen per say. It is still used today with several nak flavors.

Lol I like you say it's traditional packing yet you are smoking the farthest thing from a traditional bowl.

Nak goes in a Egyptian bowl or hemi for the vast majority of the hookah smoking world. Period

This is a overpack method for a vortex, not a traditional packing method.

In Egypt they pack more than that and will not use foil very often. The old dudes in this culture swear by overpacking and placing the coals straight on the tobacco and not smoking it for ten minutes or so. The tobacco builds up a nice char and makes it's own screen per say. It is still used today with several nak flavors.

Nakhla zaghloul for example. Of course this bowl isn't traditional i never said that, you can use this overpacking (it literally is) with every bowl. Sure you can pack 50g in a bowl but thats not really worth a session except with friends. In germany this  hard overpacking is called traditional "setup" (packing) and we got an american "setup" (packing) we need for everything a single name. Don't want to insult anybody, so chill please :)

I used this vortex only for demonstration, like i said, but works with every bowl. 

Tried smoking starbuzz without foil? not possible for my lungs, it's hard to get "original" shisha like zaghloul, which you can smoke without foil sure that.

I agree with DudeWhere'sMyHookah, this isn't really a traditional packing. But who is to say this isn't traditional for him.

Nakhla is commonly smoked from an Egyptian sure but there are no negative effects from smoking it in a phunnel.

I use a similar method when I pack Nakhla in my phunnel, he is right that it last longer for sure. Smoke output has always been the same for me when it came to Nakhla, regardless of the bowl or packing method. Instead of poking large holes, I poke small holes.

I've only had one experience of smoking without foil and at first it was very weird, but I got used to it. It isn't my preference though, so I stick to foil.

But you say traditional and it will work in every bowl. Which isn't true. Your way will work for a glass or regular vortex style bowl. A phunnel and Egyptian you will have to change the method dude, if you don't then your bowl isn't a good as it should be. They are completely separate bowl designs. Here in America we are very divided by bowl preference, either you smoke a phunnel or a vortex. You can't pack them the same, they are not the same bowl, each has a different amount of air flow.

Traditional means literally what has been done from generation to generation.

A vortex is not traditional because it has only been around for about 5 or 6 years. Glass vortex is even younger.

Plus glass burns the tobacco at a different rate of speed than ceramic and clay, therefore you could not be packing it the same exact way for any bowl.

This thread is a good tip on how to overpack for more flavor but it's not traditional middle eastern packing.

Zag isn't the only nak flavor out there that is smoked without foil. I've seen videos of douple apple, jasmine, apple, and mixed fruit all being smoked without any form of indirect heat like regular shisha. It's all up to your taste buds.

Thanks for sharing your unique packing method, I think it's interesting that in Germany(is that where you are from?), this is considered traditional. Dudewheresmyhookah is technically right, this isn't normally what is considered a "traditional" packing method, but it doesn't matter what you call it, if it works, then it works =)

I will have to give this a try the next time I have Nak, I usually just do a semi dense pack in a phunnel bowl and then use either the lotus or 2 layers of regular foil. I poke small to medium sized holes.

I agree - a traditional packing method is a fluff pack in an egyptian bowl; not an overpack in a phunnel.  I personally don't like an overpack - the tobacco easily gets too harsh at first, and you often waste some tobacco, especially if you do this in an egyptian (where most of the juices will run down the pipe because they are being compressed down).  If you don't like a harsh smoke, it's not a good packing method for you.

yeah I have found that over packing my Naklah makes for a very awful smoking session.

ON another note, that is one pretty glass bowl.