Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HedgieLove

Quality smoke?

Question

I am new to having my own hookah. Ive smoked in hookah bars for a while now and decided to get one for myself. I recently bought a sahara smoke and the smoke I got was harsh. Was not the easy thick smoke Im used to. The water was about an inch over where the stem ended. My bowl wasn't over packed I believe and I used Fujima fast lighting coals.

any advice on hw to achieve a better smoke? I

4 answers to this question

I'm not a fan of sahara's models for the reason of their hose port being way too large. I bet that it's that, too much air seeping in the hose because the hose doesn't fit snug causing little clouds and poor heat management of your bowl.

Also it could be your coals, I've always found fast light coals to be a pain to work with heat management wise. 

What bowl are you using?

Have you disconnected your purge valve and cleaned everything? that has been a problem for me in the past as well.

That's all I have to say without some more details so happy smoking!

I am new to having my own hookah. Ive smoked in hookah bars for a while now and decided to get one for myself. I recently bought a sahara smoke and the smoke I got was harsh. Was not the easy thick smoke Im used to. The water was about an inch over where the stem ended. My bowl wasn't over packed I believe and I used Fujima fast lighting coals.

more than likely it's the coals. you should have your coals on the edge of the bowl, not in the center. with quick lights, you're at much more of a risk of burning the tobacco because it covers the majority of the top of the bowl. try picking up some natural coconut coals and give them a shot. there's a billion guides on YouTube on how to light them, how many to use, etc.

the only other thing I might suggest looking at is your tobacco. are you mixing it up before using it? it should be wet. even dry shisha tobaccos, like nakhla, should have at least some dampness and stickiness to it. if your tobacco has tried out or you don't stir it before each use, you're probably getting dried tobacco which will also burn quickly and too hot.

Yeah I'm going to have to go with the coals as well. We have some nice threads here on the forum about natural and quick lights coals, and quite a few blogs and articles on the subject. Check the link below:

http://www.hookah.org/?s=Coals

The other thing I can think of is not enough space between the foil and the tobacco keeping in mind that the weight of the tobacco pushes the foil down causing it to burn faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!! :) Welcome to having your own hookah - super awesome am I right? 

First thing is first what are you smoking? What kind of bowl are you using? These are two important things. 

Second: stop using QL/Fast lighting coals. They are BAD BAD BAD. Get a natural coal! Coconara, Exotica Coals, Haze coals. These will improve your session ten fold just on their own. Better heat management, no chemical taste from the coals. Just better everything. You need a coil burner for these and if you dont have on in the kitchen you can pick one up for super cheap!  Heat management is like one of the #1 reasons people get a weak smoke. The coals havent finished cooking, they're not ready etc. 

Third: how are you packing your shisha? Are you fluff packing? dense packing? is it over packed or under? This also goes with the brand and the bowl you're using. 

Fourth: Foil, lotus, AOT bowl? what. 

You want to fluff pack your shisha (as long as its not tangiers) into your bowl. If you're smoking haze a fluffy overpack works PERFECTLY. Foil, poke your holes and set your coals on. Depending on your bowl you want 2-4 coals on top. If you have a small bowl and are using QL's you can split the coals and put one half on each end of the bowl. Don't put them on the edge edge, put them a little more in the center then move them out. You want to create a nice even heat. Rotating QL's is important too. When I was forced to use QL's I would rotate them every 15-20 min :)