Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hookahdrew

How to make Hookah Charcoal?

Question

I was seeing if there are any creative people who have tried to make there own coals! If so! How did it work? How did you make them? Is it worth the time? There has to be someone who has gone the distance to create hookah coal!

4 answers to this question

I don't know if you count this but: I have saved charcoal from my fire pit and used that. I have also grabbed them directly from the fire to start my hookah.

It is very time consuming. I tried lemonwood and it took hours and hours of relighting it to make it usable. The companies that make coals have large facilities that can accommodate reaching high temperatures in their ovens to produce consistent product, there is no way you can achieve a uniform coal like theirs if you do it in your backyard like I did. They will always be misshaped and have lower heat.

It's fun if you want to know more about hookah but the results do not turn out how you would think haha.

I used this article some months back after a relative had some nice wood laying around that I noticed.

http://www.hookah.org/making-hookah-charcoal-at-home

I did the paint can and really be careful doing it, I had oven mits on most of the time just for the extra safety measure

Iv heard natural wood can work good. I guess it is true as well with companys havibg the large work stations with heating and compresstion! I would love to see a inside look on how companys do it. Then again they may have secrets they dont want out haha.