Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hookahdrew

The Truth Behind This "Flavor Saver" Peice

Kaloud Lotus Review-

I am telling you. If you are trying to save a penny. Don't use this. Save your money and get the Kaloud Lotus. This made the tobacco taste very off, light and burnt it unevenly. This product needs to be fixed or modified to compete with the Lotus

[Edit: removed affiliate links]

post-9591-0-08053200-1412282707_thumb.jp

Nice reviews. 

The very first time I saw that contraception being advertised by hookah John I laughed and the very first thing out of my mouth was: "how in the hell are you supposed to use a wind cover with that? 

So thank you for confirming what we already knew.  :evildancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Nice reviews. I've removed the links from your post because they had affiliate numbers associated with them. We offer our own coupon codes to our members so we can't allow affiliate links. The coupon codes is how I can show the advertisers that their money is well spent. If our advertisers dont get any customers from us, they'll stop supporting us and I definitely can't afford the close to $500 a month cost of running the site all out of my own pocket. 

So whats the point of the flavor saver then?

The point is to save on how many coals you use and have a longer lasting flavor.  The idea, in concept, is good - slightly remove the coals, and you won't burn your shisha, and you won't get it as hot.  But, based on Drew's vid, it's not useful.

I agree with you Doug, they can in theory save coals and a bit of shisha. In s session it may only amount to a couple of minutes to ten minutes. The heat will be lower because of the distance but that could be a problem. Mostly because most smokers know exactly how many coals and how much heat is needed. In my opinion it won't be a game changer

I agree with you Doug, they can in theory save coals and a bit of shisha. In s session it may only amount to a couple of minutes to ten minutes. The heat will be lower because of the distance but that could be a problem. Mostly because most smokers know exactly how many coals and how much heat is needed. In my opinion it won't be a game changer

yeah when i saw that I literally laughed out loud, then the first question that hit me is how in the hell are you supposed to use a wind cover with that? Thanks but no thanks. 

hookahjohn is always trying to hype his products 

and why wouldn't he? haha.

yea that is kinda the point of having a product in the first place lol

dont get me wrong some of his products came out amazing (alien phunnel and titanium coals definitely deserve the hype) but i mean if the saver is really useless as described above then why even bother releasing it on the market??? idk i still like what he does tho

the flavor saver can definitely be redesigned and improved . at least on the esthetic side i means it doesnt even look good

I agree with that, it would probably sell well if it didn't look so bland

I agree with that, it would probably sell well if it didn't look so bland

The sad thing is that it is selling well. So many people use it and say its amazing but that you have to use an extra coal. So what's the point if it's going to cost me more money in the long run? It can't save that much flavor...lol

If you're having problems packing your shisha tobacco and handling the heat management aspect, maybe you shouldn't pack the tobacco so high, and maybe you need to pull the foil tighter so the coals and the foil doesn't collapse onto the tobacco.

But, I guess everyone likes different stuff.  It definitely isn't pretty, but not everyone uses wind covers or cares about their hookah's appearance.  I think this is a joke for most of us around here that are frequent hookah smokers, but I could see how this would be useful for someone with a $30 no-name hookah from the head shop that doesn't know the difference between Al Fakher and Starbuzz (and, come on, we've all been there).

If you're having problems packing your shisha tobacco and handling the heat management aspect, maybe you shouldn't pack the tobacco so high, and maybe you need to pull the foil tighter so the coals and the foil doesn't collapse onto the tobacco.

But, I guess everyone likes different stuff.  It definitely isn't pretty, but not everyone uses wind covers or cares about their hookah's appearance.  I think this is a joke for most of us around here that are frequent hookah smokers, but I could see how this would be useful for someone with a $30 no-name hookah from the head shop that doesn't know the difference between Al Fakher and Starbuzz (and, come on, we've all been there).

yeah I just look at it as a gimmick like the apple on top or the kalaud. Those things are not essential to smoke a traditional hookah. 

yeah I just look at it as a gimmick like the apple on top or the kalaud. Those things are not essential to smoke a traditional hookah. 

One could say the only things that are essential are a basic bowl, an unwashable leather hose, etc.  I will purchase a product if it enhances the quality of the session.  The apple on top is 100% a gimmick, but some people really love it.  The flavor saver is a gimmick to those that know how to pack a bowl properly.  A phunnel bowl is not essential, but its not a gimmick, and, for me, it's my go-to these days.  The Kaloud Lotus is in a gray area - some people love it, some people hate it.  I don't feel like it increases the length of my sessions or makes my coals last longer, but I use a wind cover that's almost always on.

One could say the only things that are essential are a basic bowl, an unwashable leather hose, etc.  I will purchase a product if it enhances the quality of the session.  The apple on top is 100% a gimmick, but some people really love it.  The flavor saver is a gimmick to those that know how to pack a bowl properly.  A phunnel bowl is not essential, but its not a gimmick, and, for me, it's my go-to these days.  The Kaloud Lotus is in a gray area - some people love it, some people hate it.  I don't feel like it increases the length of my sessions or makes my coals last longer, but I use a wind cover that's almost always on.

To me I feel that the funnel facilitates the cleaning because juices don't drip like on other bowls so I enjoy using it. Right now my Vortex bowl has a freaking hole plugged and I have to clean that out so I can enjoy the smoke. That's inconvenient. so I guess some bowls are gimmicks and some assist somehow in the complete process of the hookah. 

To me I feel that the funnel facilitates the cleaning because juices don't drip like on other bowls so I enjoy using it. Right now my Vortex bowl has a freaking hole plugged and I have to clean that out so I can enjoy the smoke. That's inconvenient. so I guess some bowls are gimmicks and some assist somehow in the complete process of the hookah. 

i'm not sure i understand you.

i'm not sure i understand you.

yeah I just re-read it and it doesn't make sense to me either. HAHAHA. 

you were saying that funnel is not an essential accessory, but to me it has the great benefit of making my life easier even if it's not essential.

Exactly.  What I was trying to say was this - things that are "essential" are not necessarily those that we use.  A Kaloud may not be essential, but it's a useful accessory to those that it works for.  Same with a phunnel bowl.  It's all in whatever makes your session better.  There are those things that are gimmicky though - the apple on top being one of them.

I'm loving that more and more places are pushing for washable hoses to become the standard. I've seen many stores near me switch the standard hoses on hookahs to washable before they sell them. I never got the point of the apple on top, I get what they want the product to do but I really cannot see it making shisha last longer for any reason other than being similar to a vortex bowl. The flavor savor is also a gimmick to those that realize they can get some scrap metal and make their own. I agree with you on the phunnel. It isn't essential but after using them for a while they are a go to. They can make any shisha last longer, even dry ones. In my case I couldn't get Nakhla to last for longer than one round of coals in an Egyptian bowl. But in my phunnel it can last upwards of three, with diminishing flavor on the last round. I can't talk much about the Lotus, but wind covers are essential in my opinion. Even if you aren't smoking outside they still have their uses. 

I always felt that Vortex bowls were mostly useful for learning how to pack a bowl with a spire in the center. Most people I know who have had Vortexes moved to a phunnel bowl shortly after. I personally never had one, went from an Egyptian to a phunnel. 

I always felt that Vortex bowls were mostly useful for learning how to pack a bowl with a spire in the center. Most people I know who have had Vortexes moved to a phunnel bowl shortly after. I personally never had one, went from an Egyptian to a phunnel.

Lol so true dude I had my vortex for one session then directly switched to a phunnel