Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Randall Flagg

Please share all your knowledge on using Milk in the vase! :)

Question

For about a year now I have been using mostly milk in the vase. Fullcream milk (and surprisingly it has never bubbled as everyone claims!)

I had to throw away my old hookah because it was growing spores inside the main chamber because once the milk entered the chamber.

So now I have a new hookah and want to use milk.

My question is: was the old hookah ruined because of the milk entering the chamber or because I had used milk even once?

Has anyone had a similar experience of milk ruining their setup?

For the record, yes the smoke is creamier and thicker.

What are your experiences with milk?

6 answers to this question

I never have and never will use milk. Honestly you shouldn't use things other than water but some juice, wine or kool aid can accent a flavor well. Just make sure you clean it thoroughly.

In my opinion you should not be using milk, I doubt it changes that much when it comes to make output.

I have to agree with the guys here.

- Milk is lactose, which ALL people have some degree of lactose intolerance. While you aren't directly ingesting it, it could become an allergy issue.

- Milk smells REALLY bad after being left out and should almost always remain refrigerated. You don't want that in your hookah.

- While almost all liquids harbor bacteria growth, milk gathers bacteria very quickly, much quicker than water. You don't want that in your hookah.

- Milk is thicker than water, resulting in a harder draw.

- Milk costs a few dollars a quart. Tap water is free.

I don't see a problem with milk in the base as long as you clean your entire hookah IMMEDIATELY after, and probably with some isopropyl alcohol. To me, it seems like an expensive health hazard with not a lot of benefit. But, to each their own. If you enjoy milk in your base, go crazy with it and enjoy your sessions!

I've never liked milk in my base either, it does nothing for the flavor or clouds and just makes a mess. Like doug said, it can very easily make your hookah disgusting, quite like what happened to your first one. 

Hi Randall and welcome to the forums. I haven't experienced hookah with milk in the base because when I first started smoking I was scared off by some middle eastern hookah smokers in NYC, so I never tried it. 

Did it once with horchata which is similar to milk and the results were terrible. I would HIGHLY advise against using milk because of the temperature danger zone that causes it to spoil. You wouldn't drin milk that was there all day and you shouldn't smoke with it all day.

If you are trying to get clouds (so the myth goes with adding milk) just buy a KM and kaloud lotus. It's all packing to get clouds too, milk has nothing to do with it whatsoever I promise this.