Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheEightyFour

New To Hookah? section

As discussed here: 

If you haven't read the linked thread, it would be a good idea to have a page that links to video tutorials, writeups, documents, blogs, etc. on getting started with Hookah.

My first thought was this site (which, this page is no longer public, and therefore a little broken), where a intro video is highlighted, and a grid of videos are listed below with descriptive text:

https://www.woothemes.com/videos/

But... maybe it would be a better idea to segregate things into beginner, intermediate, and advanced (or "pro," maybe).  Highlight a couple videos from each section, have some helpful links, etc.  It would act more like an FAQ that way, but it might lose its purpose by being "too much."

So, I guess the big things we need here are:

1. What videos does hookah.org or forum users on hookah.org have that are fantastic for beginners?  Shorter videos are more effective for something along these lines.

2. What videos need to be done for this that don't exist in our little ecosystem?  Off the bat, I don't think we have a short video that describes all the individual parts of a hookah and how it works, or a quick video on coals (which, honestly, for newbies, shouldn't throw in the "natural coals are better" argument - throwing in too much to someone starting out can be overwhelming).  We have videos on coals, but they're all pretty lengthy.  Maybe one on "buying your first hookah" could be useful - I see so many people buying something because it looks pretty and it's $25, and it smokes horribly.

3. If we want to link to additional blogs, reviews, etc., is the content of those entries up to date?  There are a lot of times where I see links on the facebook page that are for entries several years old, and, while fine, sometimes have some outdated information.

4. What are some things that you wish you knew at first that you struggled with?  And, if so, why, and would a newbie understand that?  For instance, "I wish I knew how to pack Tangiers earlier" probably isn't a great newbie topic, but "I wish I learned heat management earlier" would be better.

So hit it up - let me know what you all think.  Nima, if this should be in a different subforum, please move.  This might be better for The Underground.

Paul has started a new series of videos on "Hookahs for Beginners". I have the first one scheduled to be published on Nov 18 but I can replace that with the one coming next Tuesday to get us going. 

Can we divide up the tasks? I'll come up with a list of video titles that are good for beginners - with links to videos from Hookah.org or other users. Through time we can publish more videos ourselves so that all the videos are from us but until then I'm ok with putting other people's videos here.

Can someone take the task of finding good articles on other blogs / websites that are useful for beginners - perhaps good threads from other forums too. 

Do we also want content on this new page or just a grid of videos? 

I'll start looking around for some good articles, or write up my own. Although the internet is a large place so someone else may want to help out.

I think a small bit of content with videos sounds good

I think a handful of detrimental videos would be perfect as to not overload the user. 

I'll think of what information I was looking for when I got my first hookah, I'm sure that will help narrow down the list. I'll check online for good articles for beginners as well. 

My vision is this:

1. What is a hookah (what you smoke out of it, how its not for weed, a brief history lesson, etc.)

2. How does a hookah work? - the parts of a hookah, how it creates smoke, how it functions, and what is needed for a session

3. How to set up your hookah - assembling or disassembling your hookah, setting up the water level, etc.

4. An overview of coals and heat management, including using quick lights (i know, shoot me now)

5. Packing a bowl (using an Egyptian or Mod style bowl) - I think this deserves its own video

6. Troubleshooting your session - weak pull, looking for leaks, etc.

7. Cleaning and maintenance - how to use brushes, proper cleaning post-session, hoses (washable vs. unwashable), replacing grommets, etc.

8. Upgrading your hookah and session - common bowl types (for instance, while paul's crown is nice, it isn't common), washable hoses, different stems, wind covers, coal carriers, tongs, ditching the quick lights, etc.

9. Where to go next - A quick commentary on popular tobacco brands and online vendors (and coupon codes), blogs, hookah.org, etc.

While I don't propose we re-record certain videos or topics or whatever, with some creative editing/cutting, with these, we could easily have 9 videos under 3 minutes each.

For most of us here that live on the forum, we're pros.  I think we could go on for hours about the merits of a coconut charcoal, or why we hate X flavor or brand of tobacco.  But, for this, it really needs to be dead simple - straight up facts, less about a bias, and more about saying what it is instead of why it's better or different or worse.

For instance, a script for a section of a video talking about coals could read like:

"There are two primary types of coals.  If you're getting started and have already purchased your hookah, you probably also have a roll of quick lighting coals.  These coals look like this, and offer the benefits of being able to be lit with a lighter very quickly.  This is because they are coated in a lighter fluid-like chemical.  A quick light coal will often light within a couple minutes.  The chemicals will impart a particular flavor on your tobacco.  If you wish to avoid this, natural coals are an alternative that professional hookah smokers prefer.  You do need a constant heat source, like a coil stove, and they take longer to ignite, but the result is a cleaner smoke with no chemicals."

I started a YouTube playlist to add the videos that we think would be good for this new section. I've also emailed Marija, our graphic designer, to see if she can help us with a good design 

Here is the playlist: Let me know if you think any other of our videos should be added to it

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRyuDCJr8S3Nq19x4uhhBvLKxcL4DAhfY

Here are two of the articles:

http://www.hookah.org/hookah-beginners/

http://www.hookah.org/hookah-beginners-part-2-putting-together/

They both have videos. The third part of the series will be published next week too. My goal is to publish at least two new articles on "Hookah for Beginners" topics until we have a complete database. Then maybe move to "Hookah Buying Guides" 

I started a YouTube playlist to add the videos that we think would be good for this new section. I've also emailed Marija, our graphic designer, to see if she can help us with a good design 

Here is the playlist: Let me know if you think any other of our videos should be added to it

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRyuDCJr8S3Nq19x4uhhBvLKxcL4DAhfY

I like the list. I'll keep on thinking of what would be good things for beginners to know and I'll keep you posted. 

Here are two of the articles:

http://www.hookah.org/hookah-beginners/

http://www.hookah.org/hookah-beginners-part-2-putting-together/

They both have videos. The third part of the series will be published next week too. My goal is to publish at least two new articles on "Hookah for Beginners" topics until we have a complete database. Then maybe move to "Hookah Buying Guides" 

I like both articles but I also like the fact that it was also emailed to me in the newsletter :)