Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astano Vidatu

Egyptian style hookah+bowl question

Question

I just got a new hookah, http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-99-sphinx-2-hose-hookah.html

and while I really like the look of it (I picked different hoses, not a fan of that cobra style) I am noticing an issue getting a bowl to fit on it. It's hard to use a paper towel grommet because there's such a short space between the top of the stem and where it rounds out into the orb shape that your bowl rests on. I have tried grommets but if I push them down to the spot where the stem tapers up to the "top" from the rounded orb shape (sorry, can't think of any other way to describe it) the grommets slide right back up and pop off. They will not stay in place, and because of the shapes and shortness of the stem top the towel thing isn't really working either. 

What is you guys' suggestion on how to keep your bowls on? I want to be able to use my phunnel and vortex bowls, but so far the only thing that even stays in place is the traditional egyptian style bowl it came with and I loathe those things. 

My non egyptian style hookah has no problems with any bowl, whatsoever really if I find the right grommet or do the paper towel thing. since the stem is narrower and doesn't really flow out into the rounded shape immediately. 

Thoughts and suggestions?

5 answers to this question

You have a few different things you can do here:

1. You said they will not stay in place - are you washing your bowls, grommets, and the hookah?  If there's any molasses or honey on any of those, the grommet will not stay on.  A simple wash can be done after each session with just some hot water, and wipe everything off.

2. You may have old, bad, or incorrectly-sized grommets.  This is one of those things that hookah manufacturers assume you just know; the problem is every hookah's stem is a different size, and so is every bowl.  You might want to try some mod grommets from hookah-shisha - they're a bit thicker than the clear, thinner ones.

3. I dunno what kind of phunnels and vortexes you have, but if they're knock-off brands, they may be non-standard sizes, and only work with the grommet they came with (if it came with one at all).

I'd start with #1, but I'm betting #2 is your solution.  Your grommets are probably not the correct size/shape.

Yea its always a little trial and error when you get a new hookah or bowl trying to find the right grommet to use. Just keep messing with it and trying different things you'll get it eventually. :)

I use mod grommets for all my bowls and stems because they seem to work the best. But they do come in different thicknesses and sizes so I have a bunch of them. They don't cost much anyway.

What I did was when I bought this hookah from the hookah-shisha site, I picked up all of their different sizes of grommets. the mod, egyptian and mya and none of them hold the bowl on. The grommets and hookah is brand new. 

My vortex bowl, I have 2 of them. One is a knockoff brand, but the other is a sahara smoke vortex. It actually stayed on longer than any other, but it eventually made the pringles sound and popped off. 

The phunnel, I only have one but I am pretty sure it isn't a tangiers so it's base may be a little funky. It worked on my non egyptian style hookah just fine or perfectly with a paper towel or the mya grommet.  

I wondered though because on my non egyptian style, the stem piece you place the bowl on is about 2 inches maybe so theres plenty of room to side the bowl onto to make sure the stem is all the way up at least the middle of the bowl base. Whereas with this egyptian one, there's like an inch tops. Maybe my phunnel is the problem though because it looks like as soon as you get past the very bottom of the base it angles inwards though it does seem like (at least from the looks of it) all phunnels do that. 

I have tried wiping down the stem and the grommets and bowls everywhere I can to make sure there is no soap or machining oil or anything causing it to be slick instead of having the grip it's suppose to. 

If I can ever afford a real phunnel and a harmony bowl (which is what I really want) that may do the trick? I would love to be able to use my kaloud without it seeing how much airtime it can get. 

What I did was when I bought this hookah from the hookah-shisha site, I picked up all of their different sizes of grommets. the mod, egyptian and mya and none of them hold the bowl on. The grommets and hookah is brand new.

My vortex bowl, I have 2 of them. One is a knockoff brand, but the other is a sahara smoke vortex. It actually stayed on longer than any other, but it eventually made the pringles sound and popped off.

The phunnel, I only have one but I am pretty sure it isn't a tangiers so it's base may be a little funky. It worked on my non egyptian style hookah just fine or perfectly with a paper towel or the mya grommet.

I wondered though because on my non egyptian style, the stem piece you place the bowl on is about 2 inches maybe so theres plenty of room to side the bowl onto to make sure the stem is all the way up at least the middle of the bowl base. Whereas with this egyptian one, there's like an inch tops. Maybe my phunnel is the problem though because it looks like as soon as you get past the very bottom of the base it angles inwards though it does seem like (at least from the looks of it) all phunnels do that.

I have tried wiping down the stem and the grommets and bowls everywhere I can to make sure there is no soap or machining oil or anything causing it to be slick instead of having the grip it's suppose to.

If I can ever afford a real phunnel and a harmony bowl (which is what I really want) that may do the trick? I would love to be able to use my kaloud without it seeing how much airtime it can get.

I have a Sahara smoke phunnel and have had no issues with a mod grommet on a nammor hookah (pretty similar). it sounds to me like something isn't making a good grip, like something is slick. once your bowl is own, it should never pop off. to me, that sounds like you are using grommets that are still slick, even though you said you wiped them off. I'd use water only and rinse them off, not just wipe them, and let them air dry before using them again.

yea that is really weird, something isn't quite right. Everything you said you did should have worked. I would try what doug suggested next and see what happens.