Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HookahBAM

Pictures say more than words..

So sitting at work listening to some A7X I figured I might share my hookah experiences from pictures I have on my phone, this is from all over this year and just my general hookah related pics  :)

General position gaming and smoking haha

cn1m12r0bcxpqfl0yn24.jpg

So I was jamming WOW and noticed I can stop for a smoke break haha

n8qqp3ztdm57vtb6mi.jpg

random hookah pics

go6s5amdufndiq6uvya.jpg

zma8vz4f8byd4sl5n3m.jpg

So we went to the beach and the wind was really messing up the coal so I decided to improvise with what I had..

bu5zpf6awbdkxakzn2ba.jpg

Then my inner photographer came out lol..

k426n6b6df6lke369ad7.jpg

5f4k2atsdiwhkxhymae.jpg

I went to visit my parents and ended up in my lil sisters splash pool haha at least I had a smoke..

8c1jdtktqasx9cow8elj.jpg

My buddy and I conected two hookahs to drag as one haha

6c6t7zubr2zssucc937.jpg

I took an oxygen inhaler and converted it into a hose haha my sister was my first victim lol

p6gg7v7m5z0ebhhxu1z5.jpg

Nice! Just so you know we do have a gallery on the front page of the forums where you can upload cool hookah photos. They are worth 5 credits each that way, versus like 5 or 10 for you making this thread. 

Tin cans are treated with chemicals to allow the contents to be preserved. When your coals apply heat to the can the chemicals present have a violent heat reaction that causes the treated metals to change into gas form which you begin to inhale as your session progresses. These gases are volatile and WILL cause harm to you.

Before I knew this bit of information I too would use whatever I could as a windcover when smoking outside especially cans, but you can taste the difference and should notice your chest feeling heavier when pulling.

These are cool pictures otherwise, I noticed some instalite coals though.

I gotta add that you need to get off those. As soon as you try natural coals you will taste your shisha and be able to pull bigger clouds. Those coals are notoriously coated with sulfur, produce low heat, and are only good for on the go type of situations where you just HAVE to smoke and can't wait.

Tin cans are treated with chemicals to allow the contents to be preserved. When your coals apply heat to the can the chemicals present have a violent heat reaction that causes the treated metals to change into gas form which you begin to inhale as your session progresses. These gases are volatile and WILL cause harm to you.

Before I knew this bit of information I too would use whatever I could as a windcover when smoking outside especially cans, but you can taste the difference and should notice your chest feeling heavier when pulling.

I gotta add that you need to get off those. As soon as you try natural coals you will taste your shisha and be able to pull bigger clouds. Those coals are notoriously coated with sulfur, produce low heat, and are only good for on the go type of situations where you just HAVE to smoke and can't wait.

All very true and good info here. I didnt notice the can as a windcover but yes, it is quite dangerous if you dont find a can that isn't coated. 

Nice! Just so you know we do have a gallery on the front page of the forums where you can upload cool hookah photos. They are worth 5 credits each that way, versus like 5 or 10 for you making this thread. 

Shweet I'll keep that in mind  :thumbsup:

Bro I used the can when I was on the beach because I didn't have my wind cover with me haha

also not sure where you saw the instalite ones cuz I don't use them  :D Also we don't have any natural ones here...

I get that. But you have totally disregarded the information I have given you. Don't use cans. Even in a pinch. Like I said I have myself have even been there outside looking for a way to save the session and grabbed a can UNTIL I got the information myself that I just gave to you. They are just terrible for you "bro," science proves it.

If you don't have any natural coals..... then what are you talking about? :unsure:

How can they not be instalight if you don't have natural coals there? lol

The disc shaped coals in just about every picture are known to be instalight, only two brands (nowadays) offer coals that will look that way and still be natural.

I'm not trying to get on your case but even in your signature you have an instalight and all man. :huh: lol

Just to clarify what Dude's saying:

"Instalites" are more often known as quick lights, and notable brands are 3 Kings, Deezer, and Easy-Light.  Some more brands are listed here: http://www.hookah.org/hookah-coals-guide/

If you can light it with a match or a lighter, and it sparks and ignites within a couple minutes, it's a quick light or instalite.  They're coated with accelerant to make them ignite quickly.  After the sparking is all done, there is still accelerant left in the coals - it soaks in.  You then inhale that, along with your smoke, which both taints the flavor of your tobacco, and has you inhaling unknown chemicals into your lungs.  Unfortunately, they are the de-facto standard in most hookah lounges and hookah shops because the owner typically doesn't know any better about what they're selling, or is trying to speed up the process of getting a hookah out to a table.

You need a heat source, such as a stove top coil burner, coil hot plate, or something along the lines of a Shishavac or Blazn Burner to ignite natural coals (notable brands are CocoNara, Chronic, Coco Jamra, Coco Ultimate, and Titanium).  They will not light with a standard lighter - they take usually about 10 minutes to light on a coil burner.  Some people have success with high-powered butane torches (not torch lighters like you would use for a cigar), but you have to have a really high amount of heat.  I've also heated them with a burning fire as well (a fire pit).

It sounds like you're not completely sure which you're using, and that's ok.  We want to help anyone out around here, and we want to make sure we're all on the right page.  Some of us are pretty much morally against using quick lights, and some of us will just use whatever we can get our hands on or what's available.  I'll only use them when I travel, but I usually still bring a small box of naturals (usually Gaias or CocoNaras) in case I happen to find a suitable heat source.

Regarding the wind cover:

Dude is absolutely right on this.  Your lungs are the fastest way for anything to enter your blood stream, apart from an injection into your veins.  Smoking anything with any chemicals in it will get absorbed into your body very quickly and can become dangerous if it is carcinogenic.  Coatings inside of cans are generally inactive and safe until heated above excess normal temperatures (a couple hundred degrees, which your coals easily hit).  It's just generally unsafe, because you don't have any clue as to what is inside that can.  Using extra foil is a better solution if you're ever in need of a makeshift wind cover - you can wrap it loosely around the sides of your bowl (you want to allow some air from underneath the coals, albeit a minimal amount), and it works well in a pinch.

Just lookin' after our fellow hookah smokers.  Speaking for everyone here, we don't want anyone to get sick by doing something that's not safe (the make-shift wind cover), and we all want to encourage everyone to use the best quality materials for your smoke so you have the best session you can possibly have.  There's always more to learn.  And, regardless where you are in the world, there's always a way to get the tools you need for the job - you might be able to buy coals online, for instance.

Hope that helps/clarifies things.

I should add, just a quick Google search yielded me Shisha Buzz in Leeson Square, Johannesburg.  I dunno if you're close to there or not, but looking through their pictures on their Facebook page, I found this:

https://www.facebook.com/shishabuzzsa/photos/pb.156211531232849.-2207520000.1417511675./287394031447931/?type=3&theater

I'm not familiar with Blue Mix coals, but they appear to be natural coconut coals, and it looks like they carry them as of a month or two ago.

I also found this interesting thread over on HookahPro.com:

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61535

It's regarding several other places where you can purchase natural coals.  It does seem like they are a rare thing, but you can definitely get them.

Dude. I'm in Durban. I started using natural coconut coals and cannot stand the quick lights anymore. Trust what everyone is saying and try them. You want look back. I have seen 2 types. I usually get a blue box made by Amaren and it is R30 for 40 coals. They are cube shaped. I mostly use 2 coals at a time. They take about 15minutes to heat up on the stove.

I should add, just a quick Google search yielded me Shisha Buzz in Leeson Square, Johannesburg. I dunno if you're close to there or not, but looking through their pictures on their Facebook page, I found this:

https://www.facebook.com/shishabuzzsa/photos/pb.156211531232849.-2207520000.1417511675./287394031447931/?type=3&theater

I'm not familiar with Blue Mix coals, but they appear to be natural coconut coals, and it looks like they carry them as of a month or two ago.

I also found this interesting thread over on HookahPro.com:

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61535

It's regarding several other places where you can purchase natural coals. It does seem like they are a rare thing, but you can definitely get them.

I use these. Great smoke and good value as well

those are some awesome pics HookahBAM!!! thanks for sharing it. I specially like the WoW pic since I play now and then as well. 

I get that. But you have totally disregarded the information I have given you. Don't use cans. Even in a pinch. Like I said I have myself have even been there outside looking for a way to save the session and grabbed a can UNTIL I got the information myself that I just gave to you. They are just terrible for you "bro," science proves it.

If you don't have any natural coals..... then what are you talking about? :unsure:

How can they not be instalight if you don't have natural coals there? lol

The disc shaped coals in just about every picture are known to be instalight, only two brands (nowadays) offer coals that will look that way and still be natural.

I'm not trying to get on your case but even in your signature you have an instalight and all man. :huh: lol

Hey Dude, the belgian coals are round like quick lights BUT they are all natural. I was using them for a long time because two discs gave me exactly the amount of heat that I needed. They last longer than the quick lights of course, but I was baffled when I saw they were natural coals, so I see where people can get confused. :) 

Yeah that was one of the brands I meant by two will still be disc shaped and natural. The exoticas I feel become disc shaped in pictures so that is the other I was referring to. Both are fine. Only the most quality coconut husk they could spare haha same goes with any natural coal!

Yeah we get the natural coals this side, I know them as coconut coals, but they're kinda hard to find where the disks are everywhere and also we have coals here that actually light up as you ignite them I thought those were instalites as mine takes about 10mins to get to full heat, our suppliers are still behind ..

Regarding what you found on facebook I actually know that shop quite well but they are rather deceiving and almost never have stock  :D

lol regarding the science proves it, science proves smoking hookah is actually bad for you as well  :P

@Ecko dude I know the blue mix by amaren, I've used them before but they aren't found so easily here and when I'm taking my smoke break at lunch to light a hookah waiting 15 minutes aint fun lol

Science proves instalites are worse for you because of the sulfur and higher level of CO2 build-up I'm not just pulling this stuff out of thin air haha, technically speaking HookahBam your coal situation makes you more at risk because of that, although I agree with the generalization that "smoking hookah" is bad for anyone.

With things like diffusion beads and plastic diffusers also a device used to lower fine ash admittance (Lotus) I personally believe smoking a session of hookah is nothing to your lungs compared to cigarette. Those things are just rat poison, dirt tobacco, a bit of cotton, and combustion. Just what I think after several years of quitting them! :D

Science proves instalites are worse for you because of the sulfur and higher level of CO2 build-up I'm not just pulling this stuff out of thin air haha, technically speaking HookahBam your coal situation makes you more at risk because of that, although I agree with the generalization that "smoking hookah" is bad for anyone.

With things like diffusion beads and plastic diffusers also a device used to lower fine ash admittance (Lotus) I personally believe smoking a session of hookah is nothing to your lungs compared to cigarette. Those things are just rat poison, dirt tobacco, a bit of cotton, and combustion. Just what I think after several years of quitting them! :D

lol couldn't agree more... I've never smoked one I'd die hahaha

What are credits for?

What are credits for?

You can purchase various things from the iCredits store. Things like a $40 gift card to Social Smoke, mouse pad, magnets, permissions for the site, and what not. I give them away to users on their birthday, but only if they let me know when their birthday is.

You can purchase various things from the iCredits store. Things like a $40 gift card to Social Smoke, mouse pad, magnets, permissions for the site, and what not. I give them away to users on their birthday, but only if they let me know when their birthday is.

That's actually a good idea to gift it for people's birthdays.