Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DudeWhere'sMyHookah

Charcoal burners

Question

Well my gf just bought me a burner off ebay and it looks to be great quality.... BUT as with any burner I have owned over the last few years it shuts itself off after the first rotation of coals.

My question is why the hell does this happen? Is it just my unfortunate luck that I am doomed to stay on a ranged kitchen burner or do you guys all have burners that stay on the entire time?

Also the burner technically is still on but it is only retaining heat NOT pushing out any until I crank it up a few notches. I'd like to solve this and be able to use it but if not my kitchen literally works just fine.

Thanks guys.

14 answers to this question

Pretty much every hotplate has a shut-off mechanism so they don't get too hot.  They're designed for portable or temporary use; if they stayed on at full-blast the entire time, they would most assuredly melt.  It's also for safety, because they're not locked to any one particular position, which is kind of silly - if its knocked over, the heat that comes off of it would surely burn something still.

Mine's a 1100 or 1200 W hotplate from Walgreens.  I find that, with mine, if I put my coals on, then turn on the burner, when I hear the little "click" (when the heating element cuts off) they're perfect.  And by perfect, I mean the coal is almost completely orange, with a touch of black on the top (it's heated and hot, but I don't usually flip my coals).

I want to either get a Blazn Burner or a Shishavac eventually, since they're designed for heating coals, not your can of Campbells soup.

That's such a dumb concept haha but I get it. You're right, they're not designed for coals so they won't work as well as a shishavac or blazn.

I MAY go back to not flipping the coals just so her gift gets used. I'd hate to waste it

If you feel like it, you can probably open it up and find the thing that makes it shut off, and break it or remove it. But like doug said, it will continue to get hotter and hotter until it destroys itself if you aren't careful. 

I've been using my stove for about a year or so now, I have an older electric coil stove that heats up pretty quick and doesn't shut off (obviously lol). But I hate that it gets ash all over my stove. Easy enough to clean though. Before then I would always heat my coals outside with a portable coil burner, my coals were always lit before it would shut off so I never had any issues.

Like Doug I have a Walgreen's coil burner and it works wonderfully. I personally never heard that click but that may be because I diligently watch my coals. I don't use that burner anymore because our stove is electric. It does get a bit ashy but I can't complain. Honestly though, I prefer to use a propane torch. That may be the pyromaniac in me.

Like Doug I have a Walgreen's coil burner and it works wonderfully. I personally never heard that click but that may be because I diligently watch my coals. I don't use that burner anymore because our stove is electric. It does get a bit ashy but I can't complain. Honestly though, I prefer to use a propane torch. That may be the pyromaniac in me.

everyone that smokes anything has to have a degree of pyro in them. :)

oh good, I thought it was just me. I hate it that my does the same thing. If I leave the coals longer than they have or if I put one more on after the other ones I noticed that the temperature on my burner goes down drastically. Sometimes I just turn it off and then back on to get it to full heat. I thought maybe it was because I bought it at target for around $18. I can't complain too much, better than me doing it on my stove. 

Yeah... the hotplates definitely aren't up to par with a real stove when it comes to consistent heat.

But I've blown a coil on a stove before, and having sparks fly everywhere because you left coils on too long and the coil's outer insulation being burned through... it's no fun, and definitely dangerous as hell.  You won't get that on a hotplate.  It'll just stop working.

Yeah... the hotplates definitely aren't up to par with a real stove when it comes to consistent heat.

But I've blown a coil on a stove before, and having sparks fly everywhere because you left coils on too long and the coil's outer insulation being burned through... it's no fun, and definitely dangerous as hell.  You won't get that on a hotplate.  It'll just stop working.

I had no idea that could happen. lol I should probably just go get a new hot plate. Those coils are really cheap to replace, but I dont want to burn down my apartment building lol

I work at a hookab bar and we have a industrial double burner. They never have shut off and we have had them running well over an hour at times. I beleive i understand why you want to keep the burner on the whole time but that will destroy the burner so fast. Best bet is to invest into a blazn burn. (For personal use) i can get 3 coals lit in about 5 minutes

Lol blazn can suck my dick for 80 dollars man. That's literally new pipe money or a full kilo of anything. I have a perfectly fine stove anyway that never shuts off. Same with a shisha vac I'd get an art hookah before that shit lol