Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hookah Anes

At what age did you start smoking?

Question

I am a young smoker I've been smokin for about 1.5 years I am really knowledgable I'm far from a a newbie. I just wanted to see when other members started smoking?

Hey Andres, glad to see you here. 

I personally smoked my first hookah back in Iran when I was 16 or so but I didn't get into smoking hookah regularly until 19 years old at college. Now, at 30, I don't smoke nearly as much I used to though.

Wow, so let me see, I started smoking hookah about 2 years ago, but I have been smoking tobacco since I was 16, so a long time

my parents being European and Muslim are okay with it since its a 'traditional' thing. I know a lot of older smokers who don't have half the knowledge I do about, I have become sort of immune to starbuzz and most modern tobaccos no buzz at all also I smoke Tangiers without a problem. Just want some opinions other than my own.

Buzz, you mean people actually get a buzz from this stuff, wow,I would love one...oh wait, I have smoked to long to feel a buzz

I don't get a buzz from any shisha, I haven't tried Tangier's though. I don't think I'd get much of a buzz because of how much nicotine Nakhla has

Wow, so let me see, I started smoking hookah about 2 years ago, but I have been smoking tobacco since I was 16, so a long time

yeah about the same for me. I started smoking in high school when I was around 15, 16 and when they still had a student smoking lounge. Hookah, about 3 years.

Welcome to the forums! I've been smoking for 4 years or so, I think. I'm not 100% sure it could be more or less lol I dont get a buzz from any modern tobaccos, but I do get a slight buzz from Nakhla and Tangiers Birquq. I can smoke Tangiers Noir but I have to be careful because sometimes it will sneak up on me. 

Students smoking...gasp, whats wrong with this world, lolol

it wasn't much of a lounge, an uncovered outside concrete patio, with of couple of broken down chairs and some butt cans.

I've been smoking almost every night for a year since I got my own hookah, but before that I used to go to an Egyptian restaurant/hookah lounge in Jersey city for a few years. It was convenient because it was right across the street from my old apartment. Before that it was my old boss that took all of us out to a restaurant and that was the first time ever I had a hookah and that was.... wow, about 9 or 10 years ago... WOW!!!! that long already? well let's see... I've been working for myself for 7 years, and before that I'd say I was smoking for about a year or two when he introduced me to it, so yeah about that long. However I've been smoking cigarettes since I was 15 or 16 so I don't get a nicotine buzz when I smoke hookah with the exception of some Naklah and Othmani. 

I had my first cig in middle school.  I stole one of my dad's Marlboro Mediums.  I was probably 12.  Coughed like hell and hated it, but all my friends smoked so I figured I'd keep trying.  Got into the "herbal" thing for a minute, then pretty much quit smoking anything until I was about 19 or 20, when I picked up cigs again.

Probably when I was 20 or so, I had my first hookah experience when I went over to a friend's house I hung out with often - that friend group was a bunch of Israelis, Ukranians, and a few American friends (such as myself).  His brother was there and told me we were going on the roof (second floor city apartment, the "roof" was right out the window) and smoking hookah.  I had heard of it but never tried it, and hadn't told anyone I smoked, so it caught me off guard and tried to say no, but... peer pressure.  I think it was either Apple or Grape or Strawberry, I don't really remember.  It was just a basic fruit flavor.  I enjoyed it.

Over the next few years, I would smoke hookah a few other times, but mainly kept to cigs.  I would quit for a while here or there, then start up again, then quit.  I never smoked more than about a half-pack a day, and often it was never more than about 5 a day.

In 2008 (I think, I was 23 or 24), I needed to buy a futon for my apartment.  The guy I ended up buying it from (via Craigslist) was moving back home to India, and was selling everything he had.  He had 3 or 4 hookahs lying around, and I kept bugging him about one.  He ended up selling me a cheap Chinese no-name hookah with a crappy silicon clear hose, and threw in some mint tobacco and I think some silver tab coals.  It was then that I began smoking hookah more regularly.  I still have that hookah, to some degree - the hose is long gone, and the vase has been replaced with a nearly identical one, but the stem is still intact and it smokes well.

I would smoke a couple times a week, but kept up with cigs for most of the time.  And, like cigs, I quit hookah from time to time.  I think there was maybe a 1 year stretch between then and now that my hookah stuff sat in a tupperware box in my closet (and that was the time when all my hookah stuff WOULD fit in one tupperware box), completely unused.

Once I started working from home about 4 years ago, the hookah became a staple on my desk.  It was something I could do during the day, and wouldn't have to waste a couple hours every night.  I still smoked cigs on and off, but I quit cigs for good about a year ago.  I will smoke an occasional Djarum Black, cigar, or pipe, but I tend to stick with Hookah pretty much all the time, and vaping for those times when I cannot set up or don't want to.

As far as a buzz is concerned, cigs never really gave me any kind of buzz.  My dad smoked 2 packs a day until he passed away, and I lived with him for almost 23 years of my life, so I'm sure there's some part of me that is just completely immune to the buzz.  I ended up enjoying them because they calmed me down.  I was never really addicted to them except the last time I smoked them (which was the only time I ever had any sort of cravings).  The only thing that's ever given me a nicotine buzz has been hookah tobacco.  Tangiers and Nakhla don't give me much of a buzz unless I haven't smoked it in a few days, and sometimes not even then.  But, strangely enough, if I've been smoking one brand, and switch to another (whether it's something like Tangiers to Nakhla, or Tangiers to Al Fakher), I tend to get a buzz, even if it's a weaker tobacco, which is kinda strange, but I'll take it.

I've never been a cigarette smoker. Bought my first chinese pumpkin hookah in June this year. So about 6 months. Started at 28.

I've never been a cigarette smoker. Bought my first chinese pumpkin hookah in June this year. So about 6 months. Started at 28.

How many of you guys started out with a hookah like that?

How many of you guys started out with a hookah like that?

I one of my best friends her started out with a Mya hookah that is one of those pumpkin-style ones.  Honestly, it smokes great, because it's a quality one and not a cheap $15 hookah.

I did once buy a cheap tiny hookah while on vacation in Myrtle Beach.  It wasn't great, but it served the purpose.  And worth the $20 for that and the tobacco - I would have paid that much at a lounge and not had as good of a time.