Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wvloony

Sealing air leaks

Question

Ok, so I have noticed lately that my nour has developed a slight air leak in the stem. Currently I have some electrical tape wrapped around it there, but its not as closed off as I need. Does anyone have any suggestions on a more permanent solution to this problem.

JB weld should do the trick. Not the prettiest though.

thought about that, and your right it isnt very pretty looking

I too have a major leak. I was going through Google and bing and it seems like a plumbing polymer should do the trick. A stem is a lot like a sink in regards to water and the chemical composition of steel being chromium iron and nickel. steam being like smoke in ways I think it would suffice. Though the heat is a issue that should be addressed. I think it would hold but I'm not sure. Polymers of that nature are all non toxic so that's a plus.

I have a kamanja to kick back on too. The km kafe models seem to be a lot cheaper in quality. I'm advising people against them at this point. I don't like buying hookahs to work on them! Ah well

Did a lot of research tonight and I think JB weld is the best option. It is non toxic and heat resistant up to 600 degrees which I doubt the coals exceed. I found links to paintball forums claiming only boiling water will strip it off and that heat if anything made the bond stronger and suppressed the degradation of the chemical composition. I tried looking at car exhaust sealant because it was so heat resistant but that stuff is probably extremely toxic.

Luckily for me my leak or leaks are only superficial and I know the JB won't get inside. I hope yours is as well!

On a related note I will be plasti-dipping (like they do with cars) my stem a few different colors for that signature electroplated look. Will post results on both  as I try them this month.

Coals actually heat up to around 900 degrees max.  Of course, that's the coal itself, and coals don't disperse heat very efficiently, particularly through the air, as you can put your hand a few inches away comfortably.

Where on the stem is it leaking?

Mine is just underneath where the bowl sits but right above the tray rest. At least I hope that's it or I'm going to have to do the whole stem wherever there is a seam. That's why I figured I'd plasti-dip as well, cover up all the gunk.

I highly doubt the coals will cause anything detrimental to the session or our health. Lots of people use it in different ways near high heat

Bought it. Mixed it. Spread it. Now the 24 hour waiting game starts.

Picked up white, red, and black plasti dip. Making a tri tone starbuzz kind of looking stem tomorrow. Super excited.

Bought it. Mixed it. Spread it. Now the 24 hour waiting game starts.

Picked up white, red, and black plasti dip. Making a tri tone starbuzz kind of looking stem tomorrow. Super excited.

That's gonna look awesome. I've seen some other people who dipped their pipes and they look sick. And if you dont like it you can always just peel it off lol

Thanks to everyone, I will definitely use the jb weld, and I have been thinking of ways to make it look fabulous

Here is the plasti dip all dried. What do you guys think?

DUDE, that looks so cool.  I probably would have done the hose port and some of the upper part, but it looks pretty slick.  How heat resistant is it?

Thanks man! The hose port I did in black. The only thing not painted is the top where the bowl sits, the downstem, and the purge. I really wish I knew the temperature it can take but it says nothing on the cans. I never use the tray so the coals burning the paint isn't an issue. I always put them in a separate ash tray

Overall it was really easy to do. Less than 15 altogether.

I'll smoke it in a little bit and post about how the seal and paint worked.

Ok, well since I started this thread I have a new repair to ask about. Now this will be a picture repair.. the hose I am about to show you is my namoor wrapped. The end that goes into the pipe came out. Ideas on how to fix that

post-8941-14217132645183_thumb.jpg

Use a grommet and put it back in. If you lack a grommet make one from plumbing tape. You can use hot glue to hold it in place.