Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astano Vidatu

Hookah Ball Bearings

Question

Hey guys! I know it's been a while and I hope everyone is well. And thank you for all the advice in the past, I have a new question though. 

I bought this hookah a couple months back : http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-99-sphinx-2-hose-hookah.html and the ball bearings on it already are shot.  I looked at reviews from that website talking about using plastic ones or metal ones etc, and supposedly they "all work"  but I'm finding that to not be true.  

So far, I have tried :http://www.crosman.com/airsoft/airsoft-ammunition/2000-count-airsoft-bbs

and even though they said 6mm on the site, they don't say it on the bottles anywhere.  Unfortunately they don't work though they either got stuck in the valve or right in the valve adapter. 

So then I went out and tried : http://www.ebay.com/itm/191287044631?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   and same thing, these actually say 6mm on them though. 

I did see someone comment though that hookahs use either 6mm or 8mm, is that true and I just need a slightly larger size? they aren't helping me if they are getting stuck in the hose as soon as any air is pulled through the hookah you know? 

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I have tried a few airsoft things now that were 6mm, they were all just a hair too small. That's why I was asking about the 8mm size. I did notice hookah-shisha.com had metal ones, but I mean 50 cents each, and if they rust out in a week like these did, thats going to add up a lot more than 500-1500 for a couple dollars of plastic ones. So was curious if you guys had to try out 8mm or above sizes, Since I was told hookahs are either 6mm or 8 but you guys are kind of the guru's of this. I only have 2 hookahs and this is the first time I have had to replace anything and then my replacements weren't working  :(

I have tried a few airsoft things now that were 6mm, they were all just a hair too small. That's why I was asking about the 8mm size. I did notice hookah-shisha.com had metal ones, but I mean 50 cents each, and if they rust out in a week like these did, thats going to add up a lot more than 500-1500 for a couple dollars of plastic ones. So was curious if you guys had to try out 8mm or above sizes, Since I was told hookahs are either 6mm or 8 but you guys are kind of the guru's of this. I only have 2 hookahs and this is the first time I have had to replace anything and then my replacements weren't working   :(

hookah-shisha has plastic ones.  They're 25 cents each.  https://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-7245-hookah-ball-bearing-plastic.html

And... I don't understand how people rust out their metal ball bearings that fast.  It takes me nearly a year to wear one out.  When you clean your hookah, do you let it air-dry or do you dry it off?  Because water will get stuck in there and cause rust.

hookah-shisha has plastic ones. They're 25 cents each. https://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-7245-hookah-ball-bearing-plastic.html

And... I don't understand how people rust out their metal ball bearings that fast. It takes me nearly a year to wear one out. When you clean your hookah, do you let it air-dry or do you dry it off? Because water will get stuck in there and cause rust.

Personally I would not buy them individually. Mostly because I want to save some money. Although I agree with you, how can you rust a ball bearing so quickly. I have a couple hookahs that still have their original balls. I wipe them off during every session, and give them and the whole valve a thorough cleaning every time I wash the hookah.

I would try a bigger bearing if I was you. But your current bearing you can try to make it bigger with some foil or tape. Not an elegant solution but it can work. I've seen lounges remove the bearings completely and seal it with foil. It hinders clearing stale smoke but will give you an air tight session.

I retro hale every time. I can't use metal ones because of this as well. My km bbs took a shit within a week.

I'd go to Walmart and ask for the largest size airsoft for a machine gun or whatever and trace your purge on a sheet of paper to size it up before you leave. I have no clue as to why they won't fit besides the fact of that hookah being a cheaper model that doesn't use the same measurements as a brand name.

I am not sure about the corrosion either, I had only used the hookah a couple times and when I had a group of friends over we went to use it and the bb's were both corroded. But my other hookah that I used for months before at least once a week, still has the original BB and it's fine. 

I'm going to try the 8mm size and see how that does, since I have tried 6mm from two different makers, and it was just small enough that when you draw through the hose the ball gets sucked up into the hose valve.  My Single hose Starbuzz unicus  is still fine, but the Sphinx hookah I just mentioned getting a couple months ago (roughly) has the bearings for both of it's hose ports all rusted up. I had to get an extremely strong magnet to get it out of the ports they normally rest in. Maybe water got in there somehow and I didn't realize it, and didn't remember to clean it up correctly. 

Thank you for the suggestions and info  :)