Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jHookah

Tangiers

Question

So i just got my first 250g of tangiers and ive seen some reviews on how to foil it right but my question is, like other brands, do you put new coals on when the old ones are done or rotate the original coals around the bowl?

24 answers to this question

Both.

Depends on how dense I pack it. Some bowls like my large egy funnel can take it then I'll add more to the unused sides.

If I'm on an alien then I use two cubes and rotate it at the hour mark, I usually don't add more coals to the alien.

On a 80 feet I use three flats and rotate every half hour, at the hour mark i'll add two more.

Back in the harmony days I would be able to do the same as the egy funnel.

What bowl are you using? What flavor did you end up getting? Both of those play a key factor also.

Both.

Depends on how dense I pack it. Some bowls like my large egy funnel can take it then I'll add more to the unused sides.

If I'm on an alien then I use two cubes and rotate it at the hour mark, I usually don't add more coals to the alien.

On a 80 feet I use three flats and rotate every half hour, at the hour mark i'll add two more.

Back in the harmony days I would be able to do the same as the egy funnel.

What bowl are you using? What flavor did you end up getting? Both of those play a key factor also.

just got the alien bowl and cane mint right now im roating

As a normal Tangiers smoker, I'll lay out for you what I do, and some other techniques other people use.

I assume, since you're asking about coals, you've probably already learned about acclimation, the packing method, what type of bowls to use, how to poke holes, etc.  I'll skip over that.  There's about a dozen ways to approach it, all resulting in the same type of pack.

I would say Tangiers is fairly heat resistant.  However, just like any other tobacco, it can be burned.  Being extra careful the first few times you smoke will help you to learn the best way to heat up a bowl.

Start with two coconut coals (I use Titaniums, but I've used CocoNaras, Chronics, and other similar coals in the past).  Larger bowls may take 3, so if you're smoking out of a larger bowl, go ahead and heat up 3, but keep one to the side.  Place them on the outer edge (opposite ends), hanging slightly off your bowl.  Give it about 30 seconds to a minute to heat up, then take a few puffs.

Considering you're new to Tangiers, be sure to have some water handy, as you'll probably get dehydrated at first, as well as a pretty good buzz.

A few things you will notice right away is that the smoke will seem somewhat light at first (the smoke output that is).  That's OK.  Start rotating them and placing them further in.  You'll also notice a bit of a harshness on the back of your throat.  That's the nicotine - you haven't burned the tobacco.

Really, the key is to eventually find out where, on your bowl, you get really nice clouds without burning.  And you'll notice when it's burnt.  If you get there, just rotate the coals and place them further toward the edge of the bowl.

My technique is to place coals so they are on the outside edge, but not hanging off.  I'll usually use my tongs to make sure they're flush with the edge.  Two coals on an Alien Mini, three on a Harmony.  On the Alien Mini, I usually add a wind cover after about 10 minutes.  Once the smoke seems a little weaker, I'll add however many coals on the burner and replace the ones that are on the bowl, placing them in a different position than they were previously.

I like a hotter smoke, not burnt by any means, but hot.  Most of my friends can't tolerate the heat I put on, so I usually just omit the wind cover when smoking with friends.

As far as rotation, when I first got into Tangiers, I'd ash off, flip, and rotate the coals about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn roughly every 15 minutes.  I find I don't really do that anymore.

As far as duration goes, an Alien Mini will typically last 2-3 hours, and a Harmony will last 4-5.  Usually, the larger bowls do waste some tobacco though, as you'll almost always find some still wet in the bottom.  If the tobacco comes out of the bowl in basically one large chunk or ring, you've smoked it through completely.

Depending on what line of Tangiers you picked up (Birquq, Noir, Burley), the heat needed doesn't differ too much.  I personally find it easier to burn Birquq over Noir or Burley, but I tend to use approximately the same technique every time.

Ah, since I started typing, Dude commented and you did as well.  2 coals on an Alien should do you well, rotate if you like.  Like I said above, I typically don't rotate much anymore, but that's up to you - YMMV.

Ah, since I started typing, Dude commented and you did as well. 2 coals on an Alien should do you well, rotate if you like. Like I said above, I typically don't rotate much anymore, but that's up to you - YMMV.

thank you for the useful information. That really did help a lot. When i posted this i was about an hour and a half into my session and i just now repacked my bowl. I did notice some wet shisha when the coals got little and bearly any smoke. I didnt get a buzz really mostly because im a pann smoker and im use to the higher nicotine from that. At first i noticed the tickle in the back of my throat when i first started it up but i slightly moved the coal off. Also i probably couldnt handle the amount of heat you do just because i find it hard for me to smoke hookah if there is no ice. (The colder the better)

thank you for the useful information. That really did help a lot. When i posted this i was about an hour and a half into my session and i just now repacked my bowl. I did notice some wet shisha when the coals got little and bearly any smoke. I didnt get a buzz really mostly because im a pann smoker and im use to the higher nicotine from that. At first i noticed the tickle in the back of my throat when i first started it up but i slightly moved the coal off. Also i probably couldnt handle the amount of heat you do just because i find it hard for me to smoke hookah if there is no ice. (The colder the better)

Well, if you like ice, then your choice of Cane Mint is a great candidate to use ice with.

Well, if you like ice, then your choice of Cane Mint is a great candidate to use ice with.

yeah im mainly a mint smoker and my buddy tomd me to try out cane mint. This is definitely making a run on my AF mint

yeah im mainly a mint smoker and my buddy tomd me to try out cane mint. This is definitely making a run on my AF mint

A lot of us around here enjoy Nakhla Mizo Mint.  If you haven't tried that one out, it's worth a shot.  It's my favorite mint, and I've about gone through a dozen or two brands and versions.

A lot of us around here enjoy Nakhla Mizo Mint. If you haven't tried that one out, it's worth a shot. It's my favorite mint, and I've about gone through a dozen or two brands and versions.

i have to working at a hookah lounge really does have it perks xD i have not tried that one so i might pick up a bag of it next time i place and order. I do like the nakhla double apple way over the AF DA but ive also have tried the grapemint from nakhla and wasnt a fan of it.

i have to working at a hookah lounge really does have it perks xD i have not tried that one so i might pick up a bag of it next time i place and order. I do like the nakhla double apple way over the AF DA but ive also have tried the grapemint from nakhla and wasnt a fan of it.

when i said i have to im talking about going through a lot of brands

So i am about 3/4th done with my first 250g of Tangiers. I really have no clue why you all say its a picky shish. I tried smoking it like a traditional Tangiers smoker would and did not like all the air flow so i smoke it and pack it just like i would any other head. Tomorrow im going to try it out in a Egyptian clay.

Are you smoking from the Birquq line?  It's much less picky about the pack.

You might be experiencing a bad draw if the foil is collapsing over the spire.  You gotta pull that as tight as you possibly can.  You could always poke a few small holes in the center, but I find it doesn't work quite as well.

Also, when you poke the foil, poke all the way down and through to the bottom of the bowl.  This fluffs it slightly and generates airflow.

Are you smoking from the Birquq line? It's much less picky about the pack.

You might be experiencing a bad draw if the foil is collapsing over the spire. You gotta pull that as tight as you possibly can. You could always poke a few small holes in the center, but I find it doesn't work quite as well.

Also, when you poke the foil, poke all the way down and through to the bottom of the bowl. This fluffs it slightly and generates airflow.

no its the the line that starts with N i believe nior or something like that. But i dont have a restricted pull because i have a small needle i use to put over the spire just so the foil doesnt get sucked into it. I can take pictures step by step tomorrow to show you what i do.

Are you smoking from the Birquq line? It's much less picky about the pack.

You might be experiencing a bad draw if the foil is collapsing over the spire. You gotta pull that as tight as you possibly can. You could always poke a few small holes in the center, but I find it doesn't work quite as well.

Also, when you poke the foil, poke all the way down and through to the bottom of the bowl. This fluffs it slightly and generates airflow.

he is some pictures of how i pack it and the quality of the smoke

post-9402-14238547204053_thumb.jpg

post-9402-14238547407297_thumb.jpg

post-9402-14238547505608_thumb.jpg

post-9402-14238547724616_thumb.jpg

Cane mint is such a strong flavor that you usually wont mess it up. I can put that in an alien with a lotus and get amazing results but most other tangiers flavors won't work with a lotus IMO.

Something like Kashmir or dark plum takes a bit more messing with than cane mint, that's for sure.

Cane mint is such a strong flavor that you usually wont mess it up. I can put that in an alien with a lotus and get amazing results but most other tangiers flavors won't work with a lotus IMO.

Something like Kashmir or dark plum takes a bit more messing with than cane mint, that's for sure.

okay well thats good for me. Im a mint smoker so ill most likely stick to that flavour

It's called Noir.  Like film noir.

And really, if it works for you, then it works for you.  There's no reason to pack it the way everyone else packs it if it doesn't work for how you smoke.

It's called Noir. Like film noir.

And really, if it works for you, then it works for you. There's no reason to pack it the way everyone else packs it if it doesn't work for how you smoke.

yeah thats what im thinking. I think it helps that i do smoke paan a lot so the strong flavours are easy for me.

It looks like you're having the same issues with Tangiers that I am.  I just picked up a "Jacked Fruit"  and let it acclimate for about 8 hours. 

It puts out a very light, "weak" amount of smoke that's really disappointing. The flavor is a little muted but what is there is great tasting and smells wonderful

So far, I have tried it in a phunnel bowl, a sahara smoke vortex bowl,  and an apple on top bowl. Dense packed, 3 coals, 

If I use 2 coals I get no smoke at all almost, but if I use any thing over 3 coals, and even with 3 coals it briefly gets a burnt taste very fast.  So I am kind of at a loss, 2 coals does nothing, 3 coals or above burns the shisha,  but 3 coals is the only spot where I get any smoke.  I've seen Paul's videos and others where they use tangiers and can almost cause a whiteout in the room  or at the very least a nice healthy cloud around the hookah. And I mean, I'm getting cigarette wisps of smoke amount. Rather disappointing. 

But I guess it's just going to take a lot of experimentation. 

It looks like you're having the same issues with Tangiers that I am.  I just picked up a "Jacked Fruit"  and let it acclimate for about 8 hours. 

It puts out a very light, "weak" amount of smoke that's really disappointing. The flavor is a little muted but what is there is great tasting and smells wonderful

So far, I have tried it in a phunnel bowl, a sahara smoke vortex bowl,  and an apple on top bowl. Dense packed, 3 coals, 

If I use 2 coals I get no smoke at all almost, but if I use any thing over 3 coals, and even with 3 coals it briefly gets a burnt taste very fast.  So I am kind of at a loss, 2 coals does nothing, 3 coals or above burns the shisha,  but 3 coals is the only spot where I get any smoke.  I've seen Paul's videos and others where they use tangiers and can almost cause a whiteout in the room  or at the very least a nice healthy cloud around the hookah. And I mean, I'm getting cigarette wisps of smoke amount. Rather disappointing. 

Try stone-henging your coals (placing them on their side) or breaking two coals in half (so you have four pieces) and try that.  Vortex bowls don't work very well, and, if you're using a knock-off phunnel, you're not going to have a good session, as they don't usually hold heat as well as the Tangiers bowls, the Alien Mini, or the Harmony.

Also, you should be packing it just up to the spire of the phunnel, and when you poke the foil, you should be poking all the way through.  And don't poke holes over the spire - you lose smoke that way.

You should be getting huge clouds with Tangiers.  If you're not, it's typically a matter of heat output and management, and could potentially be your pack (yes, it should be dense, but poking holes all the way through to the bottom of the bowl creates aeration and airflow).

Some newer smokers to Tangiers get "burned" confused with the throat hit it gives you.  Since Tangiers is much higher in nicotine content, most people think the little bit of burn in the back of the throat is the tobacco being burned, and it's not.

Hit me up if you continue to have issues.

It looks like you're having the same issues with Tangiers that I am. I just picked up a "Jacked Fruit" and let it acclimate for about 8 hours.

So far, I have tried it in a phunnel bowl, a sahara smoke vortex bowl, and an apple on top bowl. Dense packed, 3 coals,

If I use 2 coals I get no smoke at all almost, but if I use any thing over 3 coals, and even with 3 coals it briefly gets a burnt taste very fast. So I am kind of at a loss, 2 coals does nothing, 3 coals or above burns the shisha, but 3 coals is the only spot where I get any smoke. I've seen Paul's videos and others where they use tangiers and can almost cause a whiteout in the room or at the very least a nice healthy cloud around the hookah. And I mean, I'm getting cigarette wisps of smoke amount. Rather disappointing.

try smoking it like you would any other bowl. My biggest problem was that i hated how mucb airflow it had and it didnt heat the shisha well.

Try stone-henging your coals (placing them on their side) or breaking two coals in half (so you have four pieces) and try that.  Vortex bowls don't work very well, and, if you're using a knock-off phunnel, you're not going to have a good session, as they don't usually hold heat as well as the Tangiers bowls, the Alien Mini, or the Harmony.

Also, you should be packing it just up to the spire of the phunnel, and when you poke the foil, you should be poking all the way through.  And don't poke holes over the spire - you lose smoke that way.

You should be getting huge clouds with Tangiers.  If you're not, it's typically a matter of heat output and management, and could potentially be your pack (yes, it should be dense, but poking holes all the way through to the bottom of the bowl creates aeration and airflow).

Some newer smokers to Tangiers get "burned" confused with the throat hit it gives you.  Since Tangiers is much higher in nicotine content, most people think the little bit of burn in the back of the throat is the tobacco being burned, and it's not.

Hit me up if you continue to have issues.

Thank you Hookah Guru :) 

I don't actually mind the throat hit, that was part of what I thought was the cooling sensation that made a tingle in my throat, kind of like I get with some of my juice from vaping. But this was a charcoal/ash taste like when other shisha burns.  I do think it's a knock off phunnel though because of the inside of the base where you mount it onto the stem is a little odd, 

I will try the air holes all the way down the bowl, I was only doing foil depth, when not using the apple on top bowl. 

Part of the problem I had, was it seemed like there was way too much airflow, almost to the point that I had to draw in so much air to get any smoke that I made my head hurt to get anything at all. At first I thought it was a seal somewhere off, so I re adjusted the hose and bowls and everything was fine draw wise, just.. no smoke at all almost, 

I'll try the 4 coal halves and see if that helps or poking down into the bowl (but not through the spire hole) and see what happens there. 

I want to try the harmony bowl, it aparently works very well with the kaloud as well, which I love having, but $25 for a bowl right now is a luxury I can't really justify. But, I would like to get better smoke output and have the session last more than 45 min.. So I may have to try a different phunnel or the harmony bowl. 

Maybe, I need a wind cover at first to get the entire bowl heated up more ambiently and then remove the cover, it really seems like the overall bowl itself wasn't getting enough heat to smoke properly, maybe it was whatever the knockoff phunnel was made with, or just the mechanics of the apple on top bowl. 

I want to try the harmony bowl, it aparently works very well with the kaloud as well, which I love having, but $25 for a bowl right now is a luxury I can't really justify. But, I would like to get better smoke output and have the session last more than 45 min.. So I may have to try a different phunnel or the harmony bowl.

Maybe, I need a wind cover at first to get the entire bowl heated up more ambiently and then remove the cover, it really seems like the overall bowl itself wasn't getting enough heat to smoke properly, maybe it was whatever the knockoff phunnel was made with, or just the mechanics of the apple on top bowl.

sounds like poking all the way through and maybe not so dense will be your solution. it sounds like you were only smoking the top of the tangiers, and the bowl wasn't heating up enough to even smoke from the bottom. the coals should be on the edge, not directly on top of the tobacco.

I'd suggest the alien mini over the harmony. the harmony is HUGE. you should be able to get a 2-hour session of tangiers out if it, and it's ideal for short sessions with other tobaccos (about 45 min). I love my harmony for long nights, but it's certainly not my go-to.

sounds like poking all the way through and maybe not so dense will be your solution. it sounds like you were only smoking the top of the tangiers, and the bowl wasn't heating up enough to even smoke from the bottom. the coals should be on the edge, not directly on top of the tobacco.

I'd suggest the alien mini over the harmony. the harmony is HUGE. you should be able to get a 2-hour session of tangiers out if it, and it's ideal for short sessions with other tobaccos (about 45 min). I love my harmony for long nights, but it's certainly not my go-to.

i have the alien mini and any brand i smome from it will last me about 2 hours at least. But i do smoke my bowls differently from how others do it.