Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jHookah

Sahara Richmond, VA

So today my buddy and I went to this hookah bar. First arriving, it looked like a normal building right in the heart of VCU. When you walk in its just a small room for their "restaurant" part of the business. To enter their lounge you have to go to a new room and someone has to give them an id to hold(im not a fan of that) while you're there. It is set up as if it use to be an actual bar and has booth seating. Other seating they have is just cushions on the floor to look like a couch. One plus they did have is theh had billiards to play. As of shisha flavours they had about 15 for AF for about $10 Statbuzz for $12 and haze for $14. Also they use different size hookahs for the brand(AF being the small hookahs looked like mya and statbuzz and haze had KM) they also charged a buck just to mix a flavour and 2 bucks for ice which they have those reusable plastic ice packs. They dont let you light your own coals and they move the coal about ever 5 to 10 minutes. My head was burnt out in 30 minutes. The pull on the hookah was way to restricted and the employees didnt know what they were doing. One side not i have is i didnt try any of the food they had as i was very disappointed in the hookah. Overall this hookah bar is probably the worst hookah bar I've ever been too. 2/10 is what i would rate this place

And I was right.

This place is an abomination.  Most places you go to, it is, in fact, rude to mess with the coals.  You should always let the employees do that, so I understand that, but its way overpriced, and, especially later, its more of a dingy drunk tank than a hookah lounge.

Argeleny gets a little rowdier later on - they turn on some disco lights and turn up the music.  But it's never crazy.

My rule of thumb - if the lounge serves alcohol, stay away.  Go to Aladdins or Argeleny next time you're in town.

I totally agree on the alcohol part, one of the lounges in Harrisonburg is also a bar. I would never go there on a weekend, or when the students are in town. Nothing ruins a gpod hookah like a drunk

And I was right.

This place is an abomination. Most places you go to, it is, in fact, rude to mess with the coals. You should always let the employees do that, so I understand that, but its way overpriced, and, especially later, its more of a dingy drunk tank than a hookah lounge.

Argeleny gets a little rowdier later on - they turn on some disco lights and turn up the music. But it's never crazy.

My rule of thumb - if the lounge serves alcohol, stay away. Go to Aladdins or Argeleny next time you're in town.

i find it weird that they dont let you move the coals. Out of the hookah bars ive been to in the nova area all of them let you have tongs to light and move coals. Other then sahara ive only been to one hookab bar that doesnt let you have tongs and that was in Michigan but they wear great about it and knew what they were doing.

The custom and etiquette is that the customer doesn't touch the coals.  You'll be kicked out of a lounge in the middle east if you try that.

I think it's a silly custom, but, add 17 PBRs and a half-dozen very-suggestively-named shots, and you probably shouldn't be around hot coals, let alone trying to move them.

I also think that most lounge owners and their employees expect people that come in to not have their own hookahs at home, and don't expect them to have a clue how to handle a hookah.  I've seen jerk-offs trying to light cigarettes with the coals, and people have been kicked out of Aladdins for adding a "special herbal blend" to their bowl, only to end up burning the hell out of their hand and get kicked out when the place smells like skunkdirt.

I've gotten in the habit, unless I'm at Argeleny, that I bring my own hose to a lounge.  It's a sure-fire way of telling the owner "I know what the eff I'm doing, and I have my own stuff, but I want to spend the night here, and I'm not going to be a giant prick about it."  Of course, I always ask before swapping out the hose - some people have gotten weird about it, but to most employees and owners, they don't care - it means one less thing they have to clean.  And, if you have your own hose, you don't run the risk of some crappy unwashed hose with zero draw and tremendous ghosting.

The custom and etiquette is that the customer doesn't touch the coals. You'll be kicked out of a lounge in the middle east if you try that.

I think it's a silly custom, but, add 17 PBRs and a half-dozen very-suggestively-named shots, and you probably shouldn't be around hot coals, let alone trying to move them.

I also think that most lounge owners and their employees expect people that come in to not have their own hookahs at home, and don't expect them to have a clue how to handle a hookah. I've seen jerk-offs trying to light cigarettes with the coals, and people have been kicked out of Aladdins for adding a "special herbal blend" to their bowl, only to end up burning the hell out of their hand and get kicked out when the place smells like skunkdirt.

I've gotten in the habit, unless I'm at Argeleny, that I bring my own hose to a lounge. It's a sure-fire way of telling the owner "I know what the eff I'm doing, and I have my own stuff, but I want to spend the night here, and I'm not going to be a giant prick about it." Of course, I always ask before swapping out the hose - some people have gotten weird about it, but to most employees and owners, they don't care - it means one less thing they have to clean. And, if you have your own hose, you don't run the risk of some crappy unwashed hose with zero draw and tremendous ghosting.

i can see why they wouldnt let people do that when alcohol is involved but off of one quick light my head was done because they moved it around every 5 minutes. Most nova hookah bars dont sell alcohol so i guess that may be why they let us do that. And i am totally with you about bringing a personal hose. 99% of the time i always bring a hose and i have one in my car just for that reason.

And I was right.

This place is an abomination. Most places you go to, it is, in fact, rude to mess with the coals. You should always let the employees do that, so I understand that, but its way overpriced, and, especially later, its more of a dingy drunk tank than a hookah lounge.

Argeleny gets a little rowdier later on - they turn on some disco lights and turn up the music. But it's never crazy.

My rule of thumb - if the lounge serves alcohol, stay away. Go to Aladdins or Argeleny next time you're in town.

going down to richmond to drop my friend off and i know you're from around there. What is the best hookah lounge in that area?

Though it probably has one of the most drab atmospheres, Argeleny has the best tasting hookahs with the best ingredients (AF, Starbuzz, and Nakhla, though they've been out of the Nak recently), and they use natural coals, which I've decided are unbranded CocoBuzz 2.0's.  It's a block west of Lift coffee.  Small place, $10-14 for a hookah, depending on brand.  They'll make custom mixes for you as well, and have some other options.  KM Hookahs with KM Rainbow hoses, which have gotten a bit beaten up since opening - bring your own hose.  They are often a little light on the coals, but feel free to ask for more - they'll bring you whatever you need.  They have drinks, but no real food.  Nicest overall staff.

Unwind, a block west of Argeleny, does have Tangiers, but I refuse to go there - they only use quick lights, and on Tangiers, nonetheless.  I think they're also stopping carrying Tangiers, because last time I was in there, they had very little stock of it remaining, and they're really pushing e-vape heads and glass hookahs as upgrades.  They're also the most expensive place in Richmond.  Staff is also hit-or-miss - they get super excited to sell you some vape juice, but "whatever" about selling you or answering questions about hookah.  Crowd is routinely VCU college students that think smoking hookah is some artistic analogy to smoking pot, or frat douchebags.  I'm sure it's a great lounge if you want to vape on a hookah, or if you like quick lights on Tangiers (WHY?!?), and you want to pay more for the experience.  I'll pass.

Finally, Aladdins, near Sahara (it's about a block north on Broad) probably has one of the best mixes of traditional atmosphere to hookah quality.  Whereas Argeleny has a better hookah (namely because of the natural coals), Aladdins has a better, or at least more traditional, atmosphere.  They do use quick lights, and they'll often (but not always) bring you a pitcher of water to the table.  TVs are usually playing middle-eastern music videos.  Aladdins is also cash only, but they have an ATM.  They also have a full menu - nothing to rave about, but it's middle-eastern and drunk food, and it's pretty good.

There are some other lounges in the area but I haven't tried them.  There are a few Indian restaurants that have hookah sections, but I'd avoid those as well - they're more of an afterthought than an actual lounge.

Though it probably has one of the most drab atmospheres, Argeleny has the best tasting hookahs with the best ingredients (AF, Starbuzz, and Nakhla, though they've been out of the Nak recently), and they use natural coals, which I've decided are unbranded CocoBuzz 2.0's. It's a block west of Lift coffee. Small place, $10-14 for a hookah, depending on brand. They'll make custom mixes for you as well, and have some other options. KM Hookahs with KM Rainbow hoses, which have gotten a bit beaten up since opening - bring your own hose. They are often a little light on the coals, but feel free to ask for more - they'll bring you whatever you need. They have drinks, but no real food. Nicest overall staff.

Unwind, a block west of Argeleny, does have Tangiers, but I refuse to go there - they only use quick lights, and on Tangiers, nonetheless. I think they're also stopping carrying Tangiers, because last time I was in there, they had very little stock of it remaining, and they're really pushing e-vape heads and glass hookahs as upgrades. They're also the most expensive place in Richmond. Staff is also hit-or-miss - they get super excited to sell you some vape juice, but "whatever" about selling you or answering questions about hookah. Crowd is routinely VCU college students that think smoking hookah is some artistic analogy to smoking pot, or frat douchebags. I'm sure it's a great lounge if you want to vape on a hookah, or if you like quick lights on Tangiers (WHY?!?), and you want to pay more for the experience. I'll pass.

Finally, Aladdins, near Sahara (it's about a block north on Broad) probably has one of the best mixes of traditional atmosphere to hookah quality. Whereas Argeleny has a better hookah (namely because of the natural coals), Aladdins has a better, or at least more traditional, atmosphere. They do use quick lights, and they'll often (but not always) bring you a pitcher of water to the table. TVs are usually playing middle-eastern music videos. Aladdins is also cash only, but they have an ATM. They also have a full menu - nothing to rave about, but it's middle-eastern and drunk food, and it's pretty good.

There are some other lounges in the area but I haven't tried them. There are a few Indian restaurants that have hookah sections, but I'd avoid those as well - they're more of an afterthought than an actual lounge.

thanks for the info i didnt get to go down today because of thw weather but will be down in the next 3 days

Though it probably has one of the most drab atmospheres, Argeleny has the best tasting hookahs with the best ingredients (AF, Starbuzz, and Nakhla, though they've been out of the Nak recently), and they use natural coals, which I've decided are unbranded CocoBuzz 2.0's. It's a block west of Lift coffee. Small place, $10-14 for a hookah, depending on brand. They'll make custom mixes for you as well, and have some other options. KM Hookahs with KM Rainbow hoses, which have gotten a bit beaten up since opening - bring your own hose. They are often a little light on the coals, but feel free to ask for more - they'll bring you whatever you need. They have drinks, but no real food. Nicest overall staff.

Unwind, a block west of Argeleny, does have Tangiers, but I refuse to go there - they only use quick lights, and on Tangiers, nonetheless. I think they're also stopping carrying Tangiers, because last time I was in there, they had very little stock of it remaining, and they're really pushing e-vape heads and glass hookahs as upgrades. They're also the most expensive place in Richmond. Staff is also hit-or-miss - they get super excited to sell you some vape juice, but "whatever" about selling you or answering questions about hookah. Crowd is routinely VCU college students that think smoking hookah is some artistic analogy to smoking pot, or frat douchebags. I'm sure it's a great lounge if you want to vape on a hookah, or if you like quick lights on Tangiers (WHY?!?), and you want to pay more for the experience. I'll pass.

Finally, Aladdins, near Sahara (it's about a block north on Broad) probably has one of the best mixes of traditional atmosphere to hookah quality. Whereas Argeleny has a better hookah (namely because of the natural coals), Aladdins has a better, or at least more traditional, atmosphere. They do use quick lights, and they'll often (but not always) bring you a pitcher of water to the table. TVs are usually playing middle-eastern music videos. Aladdins is also cash only, but they have an ATM. They also have a full menu - nothing to rave about, but it's middle-eastern and drunk food, and it's pretty good.

There are some other lounges in the area but I haven't tried them. There are a few Indian restaurants that have hookah sections, but I'd avoid those as well - they're more of an afterthought than an actual lounge.

im at the argeleny hookah lounge and so far they are really good. Thank you for letting me know about this place. Definitely one on my top 5 list

im at the argeleny hookah lounge and so far they are really good. Thank you for letting me know about this place. Definitely one on my top 5 list

What?  You were there last night?  I was there from about 5-7 last night...

What? You were there last night? I was there from about 5-7 last night...

i got there at 6...i was in the group of young kids right by the door.