Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jHookah

Chronic vs titanium

Question

For the past year ive only used titanium natural coals and now with a big move coming im on a budget. I found a great deal on chronic natural coals but never used them before. I was wondering what yall opinion was about them.

12 answers to this question

chronics are good. they were my go-to before the titaniums. they're not as uniform and have a bit more smell when lighting, but they're good coals.

mano - welcome to the forums!  if you like cocobuzz, try the titanium cubes - similar cube form factor and probably just a little bit better quality and consistency.

If you are on a budget and it's available in your area, try the Al Fakher natural coco coals or the Starlights. They are both good but I put my money on the Al Fakher coals over most others. 

If you are on a budget and it's available in your area, try the Al Fakher natural coco coals or the Starlights. They are both good but I put my money on the Al Fakher coals over most others.

ordering from online only plag sells them is my last job and i will not give him my money he let me go in a very unprofessional way and was disrespected

ordering from online only plag sells them is my last job and i will not give him my money he let me go in a very unprofessional way and was disrespected

ah yeah, I wouldn't give them my money either if it was that bad. 

oh, nevermind, mano.  i thought the standard cocobuzz's were cubes - i recalled incorrectly.  you'd like the regular titaniums.  all in all, coals aren't all that different from one another anyway.

I don't like the Chronics personally, the smell on them is a put off (for me) and there's more smoke when they are burning, its the first coal I have had that set off my smoke alarm. 

I am about to pick up an order or Titanium flats and cubes though to try them out. But I have had gaia coals that were pretty decent for something on a budget. 

I've recently tried Coconara and was very disappointed, it may have just been a bad box but other people I have heard from recently have had the same problem with Coconara so maybe it wasn't just me.  They were super hard to light, kept going out , didn't give good smoke output or anything. 

So I picked up a box of coco mazaya and they are.. slightly better , but I think theres still too much filler or something because they don't stay lit evenly or anything. 

Good luck though finding somemthing that works for you 

I don't like the Chronics personally, the smell on them is a put off (for me) and there's more smoke when they are burning, its the first coal I have had that set off my smoke alarm. 

I am about to pick up an order or Titanium flats and cubes though to try them out. But I have had gaia coals that were pretty decent for something on a budget. 

I've recently tried Coconara and was very disappointed, it may have just been a bad box but other people I have heard from recently have had the same problem with Coconara so maybe it wasn't just me.  They were super hard to light, kept going out , didn't give good smoke output or anything. 

So I picked up a box of coco mazaya and they are.. slightly better , but I think theres still too much filler or something because they don't stay lit evenly or anything. 

Good luck though finding somemthing that works for you 

Coconaras have gone way down in quality over the years.  They used to be about the perfect coal.  Now they're uneven and unbalanced.  The Titaniums, IMO, are how Coconaras used to be.

Chronics are about in-line with what Coconaras are now.  Not the best coal, but a little cheaper.  I never had any issues with odor or smoke with them personally, but they do burn hotter than a lot of other coals.

So far, I like the cubes, but I think I prefer the regular Titaniums.  They last a good amount of time and aren't too hot or too cool.  And I barely notice an odor on them when lighting them.

Let us know your thoughts when you get them in!

Yah I actually tried coconaras for the first time a few months ago after hearing really good thing from them over the years, but when I get them, twice just to make sure, they didn't last very long, ashed a lot more than my go to coal (Cocobuz natty coals barely any ash, shootout to #hookahrev) and I didn't think they burned hot enough, I asked use the the flat coals and always work with Cocobuzz I needed to add a fourth with coconara but they're not a bad ICE (in case of emergency coal