Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castellanox7

Use Starbucks/coffee flavor syrup to flavor shisha?

Question

Hey all,

I was sent here by a redditor that saw a youtube you made for making your own shisha.

I work at a Barnes and Noble, and we've had some of the holiday stuff hit it's expiration date--as a result, I've got my hands potentially on some of the holiday flavors, and wanted to know what the best way to go about making a shisha with these flavors--or if it's even possible.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hey all,

I was sent here by a redditor that saw a youtube you made for making your own shisha.

I work at a Barnes and Noble, and we've had some of the holiday stuff hit it's expiration date--as a result, I've got my hands potentially on some of the holiday flavors, and wanted to know what the best way to go about making a shisha with these flavors--or if it's even possible.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to our forums. 

Some of us here including myself have experimented with making our own shisha. Please feel free to take a look at our gallery area for the pictures.

As far as the syrup, have they been opened? you said they are past their expiration date so I personally wouldn't mess around with it unless it hasn't been opened. We will need to know a bit more about the syrup like the consistency and what's in it. Is there a link where we can check out on the web what it is? We use normal flavoring from companies like lorann flavorings.

One thing to keep in mind is the amount of sugar a syrup is made with and that would just not work very well for shisha. 

Maybe somebody else will chime in and provide us with their opinion. :) 

Using a syrup isn't a good idea, as you'd be smoking sugar, additives, preservatives, and other nasty things.  The only things that will work successfully as non-standard additives would be things like herbs and spices (which is used for making herbal tobacco, though you'll want to be careful which ones you add, as some burned are carcinogenic), propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin (both are the main ingredients of vape juices), honey, molasses, and natural flavorings (see LorAnn oils/flavorings).

The most dangerous thing of adding a syrup would be the sugar.  Smoking sugar is basically inhaling over-heated caramel (sugar melted and raised to a certain temperature makes caramel, pretty simple), and that's very, very bad for your lungs, as it cools and recrystalizes in your lungs.  Not that tobacco is great, but... that can be very dangerous.

I'd avoid it, personally.