parson44

Questions for the Arab Community!

Question

What do you guys think of the American brands of shisha? (Ex. Starbuzz, Social Smoke, Fantasia, Fumari, etc.) 

Also what is your favorite brand/flavor?

• Like 2

10 answers to this question

What do you guys think of the American brands of shisha? (Ex. Starbuzz, Social Smoke, Fantasia, Fumari, etc.) 

Also what is your favorite brand/flavor?

Im not Arab but I can tell you most people in Middle East are used and like Al Fakher, Nakhla and the more traditional types of shisha. The American brands are sometimes even hard to come by there so not a whole lot of people have smoked them

• Like 1

To add to Nima's post....

The more modern brands, in my opinion, were just made to satisfy the american crowd that don't enjoy a more traditional smoke. I bet if there weren't any demand from college kids to smoke hookah, they only thing we would have to enjoy is the traditional brands like Al Fakher and Nakhla. 

Without a doubt my favorite brand of modern tobacco is Social Smoke; any flavor. However if I had to choose just one flavor from them, then Dulce de Leche is my most favorite shisha flavor of all time. 

That's the thing though. Yes, the moderen brands are meant to attract American College Aged adults. But, alot of them do a really good job at a key few flavors. Starbuzz for instance has a couple good flavors that are in my personal top 10. Fumari is an underdog with many unique and juicy flavors.

• Like 1

That's the thing though. Yes, the moderen brands are meant to attract American College Aged adults. But, alot of them do a really good job at a key few flavors. Starbuzz for instance has a couple good flavors that are in my personal top 10. Fumari is an underdog with many unique and juicy flavors.

That's the thing though man they were targeted at us. Each and every country has brands that Americans will never see and vice versa. In America we like diversity however in most Arabic nations flavored tobacco isn't widely practiced. It's mostly tombac or jurak with the exception of black style molassal.

In other countries hear management is different. Egypt won't use foil. Germany will use metal in between coal and foil. Deep regions in Europe will still use brass screens. Our American style tobaccos which are tremendously more juicy wouldn't smoke to their potential these ways.

Plus to export fumari or starbuzz say even tangiers the tobacco could be heavily taxed making it too expensive to alter their entire way of smoking. Those guys make more traditional dudes like me look like a college kid with a mod Chinese hookah. They are very set in their ways.

• Like 1

I agree with you dude. The best tobamel I've ever had was a double apple from dubai that you can't find here in the states. I was lucky enough that on my sister's last deployment to the middle east she was able to bring me my first hookah from there as well as that 250g tub of amazing tobacco. The only brand that comes closest to it in flavor was the Othmani double apple, but Othmani brand has a high nicotine content like naklha and it knocked me on my ass. That sweet anise flavor however was like no other I've had. 

• Like 2

I personally hate starbuzz. It leaves a weird film sorta feeling in my mouth. I love fumari, never tried social smoke yet. That being said, i have no real intrest in the traditional smoke of my ancestors, i like the non tobacco flavoring of hookah tobacco. I should also say ive never even tried traditional hookah tobacco.

• Like 2

I think what Parson44 meant, and correct me if I'm wrong, was of the Arabic-American and Arabic-moved-to-Americans (thus Arabic-Americans with an out-of-America history of Hookah use) who have tried the gamut, what their opinions of indigenous-to-America tobamels and moassels were...

I'd be curious as well, as it will expand our understandings of methods, histories, and cultural idiosyncrasies us American-born-Americans (without international hookah experiences).  One of my favorite things about the whole hookah scene is the huge diversity of cultures that all approach the same subject with different methods and ideas...  It's really one of the most fascinating things about it all for me...

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, I am eager to read on :)

• Like 1

I think you have it spot on my friend! Thanks. My campus is filled with many Arabic Students and everyone I talk to I get the same answer for hookah preferences: Nahkla Double Apple with three to four coals.

• Like 1

I personally hate starbuzz. It leaves a weird film sorta feeling in my mouth. I love fumari, never tried social smoke yet. That being said, i have no real intrest in the traditional smoke of my ancestors, i like the non tobacco flavoring of hookah tobacco. I should also say ive never even tried traditional hookah tobacco.

I do like the more modern and flavorful tobacco, but I feel I get tired of them rather quickly with the exception of only 4 or 5. I like the more traditional smoke with a mild kick, but i also think that's because I'm a smoker and I need to have a sense that I'm smoking tobacco and not fruits. But that's just me. 

I think what Parson44 meant, and correct me if I'm wrong, was of the Arabic-American and Arabic-moved-to-Americans (thus Arabic-Americans with an out-of-America history of Hookah use) who have tried the gamut, what their opinions of indigenous-to-America tobamels and moassels were...

I'd be curious as well, as it will expand our understandings of methods, histories, and cultural idiosyncrasies us American-born-Americans (without international hookah experiences).  One of my favorite things about the whole hookah scene is the huge diversity of cultures that all approach the same subject with different methods and ideas...  It's really one of the most fascinating things about it all for me...

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, I am eager to read on :)

I think you have it spot on my friend! Thanks. My campus is filled with many Arabic Students and everyone I talk to I get the same answer for hookah preferences: Nahkla Double Apple with three to four coals.

My very first hookah was a pretty no-name that my sis brought me during her last deployment to Dubai. I bring this up because she tells me that she enjoyed the smoking experience over there much better than here in the states, and now she's going from lounge to lounge to try to duplicate the experience. She also likes the fact that you can just go to a place to eat and every table has a hookah. 

What I take from this is that when you visit a place that has been smoking hookah for hundreds of years, I'm sure they will create a better smoker experience to those of us here living in the state and only smoking for a few years. 

America is very capitalistic and that's why companies keep coming up with different accessories to try and "improve" a smoking experience that doesn't need improvement. 

She tells me that the hookahs over there are very simplistic and pretty and the quality of the smoke is top notch. 

• Like 1