Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mister Thrice

How is it all?

Hi there!  I'm Troy, but the net alias is Thrice.  

I'm re-invested in the hookah hobby, after a few years of not having one and not having anyone to do it with.  I still dont have anyone to do it with, save for a friend once a month if all goes well, so I smoke alone, and sometimes my girlfriend hits the new flavors.

I work at a head shop of sorts, and am currently trying to convince the powers that be to allow me a small budget to sell hookahs through their store.  It's a mom and pop shop, but 'Mom' is very well schooled, and traveled, so I'm sure she has seen many hookahs in her exploits.  We have a company catalog we get most of our 'gear' from, and it has a nice little section for hookahs, and some generic hookah accessories, and so, I've put up a list of things I'd like to get us started with what they have available, and, depending on sales of course, move up to the bigger, better stuff.

I am a bit soured on Sahara Smoke hookahs right now, bought myself a nice custom setup for my birthday, but it doesn't purge worth a dang, so I've been re-working it to have a more traditional heart as opposed to an open chamber heart.  I don't like open chamber hearts, they are inferior at purging, and to new people, or people getting back into it, or people trying a lot of new flavors, bowls, coals, and hoses, I think sticking with what is tried and true is going to work out best.  I'm a KM fan, and as soon as I can find a Shika v3 Kamanja, I'm on that!!  

Other than that, I am using Paul's DIY tobamel model to create my own this weekend.  Got a 1/4 pound of Organic American Flue-cured tobacco, and a 1/4 pound of Organic Canadian Flue-cured tobacco to get me started.  Leafonly.com is absolutely RAD for tobacco selections, even catering a bit to us hookah enthusiasts...

Anyways, I'll stop ranting, for now, but do expect more rants in the future, as I tend to rant a lot.  After I have a few more videos up on my youtube channel I'll post a link or provide information on how to get there.

Thanks all who make this forum possible, I am a member of at least 5 hookah/shisha forums now, and it's just a nice vibe, a good community.

See you all about the webs, and enjoy the clouds :)

Troy

Welcome Thrice (also, a fantastic band)!  Sounds like you've got your stuff together and you know what you like and don't like.  Hookah.org is smaller than the "hookah forum giants" out there, and you'll end up running into the same handful of people (for the most part) on pretty much any topic.

There's a thread in the forums somewhere regarding making your own hookah tobacco and different methods that differ from Paul's method: 

Give that a look over.  Some people here have had some really great experiences making their own, and feel free to hit that up and ask questions (we don't complain if a thread gets necro'd or goes off topic, as long as it's not too ridiculous).

Again, welcome!

Welcome to the forum Thrice.

I haven't used a Sahara Smoke hookah personally but I've heard good things about them. Though if they do have that open chamber that would be a no go for me as well. Not too long ago I was having a session with a friend, using his hookah and it too was a open chamber. I tried purging and realized my mistake after almost a minute of blowing out. Someone should come up with a mod to turn an open to a traditional. The Shika is a beautiful pipe, I love KM's oxidized hookahs. Sadly I think it will be a while before I'll be able to get one of those. 

Thanks for the warm welcome all!  

I will certainly check out the alternative DIY shisha my Ninja friend referred to...  Can't know what you really truly like if you dont try a ton that you dont..  I've definitely had my fair share of crap I dont care for...  Dont get me started on quick lights...

As far as oxidized KM's I've not seen any 'in the flesh' but the oxidized Kamanga is pretty damn sexy, so I may have to pick one of those up.  I dont know how everyone is here with vendors, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that Hookah John has some pretty fantastic prices on KM's, and if you look around for coupon codes, you can get a KM for under $90 sometimes...  I did...

I mention Hookah John only because he (personally) has done good by me.  He called me on my birthday and set up a sweet discounted deal on my KM and some accessories, and I have at least one of all three of his bowls, and they all treat me really well.  To me, customer service is treating humans like humans, using humans to do it, and Hookah John is a busy mofo but still took time out to make a birthday present super cost effective.  He's also got an order of Shika v3's due into his facility sometime this week, so by payday for me, I'll probably get that Shika Kamanja I want...

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  On those other 'bigger' hookah forums, I notice a lot of hate towards my 'head shop' style job, and dont understand what the beef is if I'm not using my hookah for anything but tobamel, moassel, shisha, etc...  but hey, Trolls will be lame...  And they are hard to kill...

See you around all, thanks again!

Thanks for the warm welcome all!  

I will certainly check out the alternative DIY shisha my Ninja friend referred to...  Can't know what you really truly like if you dont try a ton that you dont..  I've definitely had my fair share of crap I dont care for...  Dont get me started on quick lights...

As far as oxidized KM's I've not seen any 'in the flesh' but the oxidized Kamanga is pretty damn sexy, so I may have to pick one of those up.  I dont know how everyone is here with vendors, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that Hookah John has some pretty fantastic prices on KM's, and if you look around for coupon codes, you can get a KM for under $90 sometimes...  I did...

I mention Hookah John only because he (personally) has done good by me.  He called me on my birthday and set up a sweet discounted deal on my KM and some accessories, and I have at least one of all three of his bowls, and they all treat me really well.  To me, customer service is treating humans like humans, using humans to do it, and Hookah John is a busy mofo but still took time out to make a birthday present super cost effective.  He's also got an order of Shika v3's due into his facility sometime this week, so by payday for me, I'll probably get that Shika Kamanja I want...

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  On those other 'bigger' hookah forums, I notice a lot of hate towards my 'head shop' style job, and dont understand what the beef is if I'm not using my hookah for anything but tobamel, moassel, shisha, etc...  but hey, Trolls will be lame...  And they are hard to kill...

See you around all, thanks again!

I'm  glad that you enjoy yourself in this forum. We pride ourselves in treating everybody with respect and our only goal is to learn from everybody else. We don't put down anybody for whatever reason. We are just a bunch of good 'ol friendly folks around here thirsty for more knowledge about how we can better enjoy our wonderful hobby. :)