Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mister Thrice

Oh Khanjar...

Question

Howdy h dot org ppl's!

I have to take this opportunity to rant a bit about my Khanjar exploits...

I started a new job a few months back, and it has been awesome.  One of the things we sell there is the tiny little 10" pumpkin hookah.  My ex-girlfriend took my last hookah with her (just a MYA) and so I was hookah-less for a bit... And with no one to smoke with anymore, I took a hiatus from it...

Then my current girlfriend gets me that pumpkin hookah not knowing anything about hookah really, so that's where this story blows up all over again...

So I'm broke at the time, just getting out of a crappy, dead-end corporate job, and starting this new mom and pop shop, and I needed a better hookah.  I didn't need anything big, just something a little better than my Pumpkin...

So I landed on Sahara Smoke, and I pick up a Khanjar, because they are cheap, come with a vortex bowl, and I liked the look of them.

So the Khanjar I got is the Sapphire, and it's pretty, but the stem is porcelain, the bowl is porcelain, and the base is huge, and 2 dimensional.

It smoked okay, but the purge is TERRIBLE, it might as well not have one.  I was furious.  I bought this to save cash, and I ended up spending more on a hose and a new bowl and a new purge valve than a decent entry-level hookah should cost.  

However I now have the solution to Khanjar's terrible purge valve.  Sahara smoke purge valves.

Since the Sapphire has a silver toned stem, I got the silve purge valve from Sahara smoke, and I boiled some water, and I submerged a bit of 3/8" OD silicone tubing in the boiling water to make it floppy and pliable.  Then I jammed the purge valve into the tubing, until snug up to the ribbing of the purge valve.

Next step was to sand down the diameter of the original purge valve port, as the tubing with the new purge valve in it was just a bit shy of fitting snugly.  After a few moments of sanding with my Dremel, it fit like a glove.  I sunk the tubing flush with the stem, and hot glued the entire surface area to the stem, with the ball portion of the purge valve unscrewed and removed from the assembly.

I cut the new purge valve tube to hang about 1.5 inches into the base, since the water level is so low, I felt having the tube inside the main area of the base would be ideal to allow the vapors to swirl around until they found their purge tube.  

It works like a charm now!  Well, I had to sand the inner lip off of the Vortex bowl it came with to make the seal tight like it should be, but after much trial and error, I finagled the evil thing into submission, and now have a very decent smoking personal piece.

Now I don't mind Khanjar so much.  I wish they would make a better purge valve to begin with, but hey, if I can retro-fit something to work that isn't too ugly, then I'm happy.  I grew up watching McGuyver with my dad, I know what's up!!

So I will post some pictures, but it may be a couple days, as today was my monday, and the next two days are 13 hour shifts, so I come home, Hookah, and pass out.  It's what I do.  It's what I'm about to do.

So thank you for letting me rant, I had to get this out of my system because I hate bad purge valves.

Next, fixing the open heart of a Sahara smoke hookah...  This one is going to be a b!tch too because I have the Tsunami base, and it's pretty huge, so I may end up going with two purge valves on it just to make sure I get my correct purge...

I know I shouldn't be burning my shisha this much, but I have all these new bowls, 4x new hookahs, and lots of stuff to try, so there will be burns, but I will learn.  This has all been an ongoing learning process, so I appreciate that there are forums for hookah fans now...  

Take care everyone, see you around....

13 answers to this question

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome story. 

I always thought that the Sahara Khanjar was really pretty, but I'm glad to know that the purge is not as good. I couldn't possibly try to fix something like that because I'm horrible when it comes to tools and trying to fix anything. 

How's their vortex bowl? I heard horrible things about it breaking easily and that's why I went with a different Sahara vortex. 

Cool story.  I really don't hear enough about Sahara's stuff.  I just hear of people using it but never reviewing it or anything.

dd - I have their vortex.  It's ok.  It's, by design, the best one I've ever seen or used.  But, that being said, it's also large for the amount of tobacco it holds, and if you have any intention of using a Kaloud Lotus... well... you can get around it, but it's not great.

Vortex bowls are a great concept, but made with cheap porcelain, and they break super easy.  I have to use the Dremel (again) to grind down the inner lip of the bowl where it connects to the grommet to get a prefect seal, because the weird lip thing they do doesn't cut it....  Then, if you push the bowl on too hard, it'll snap... aaaand when it's hot, it's much more brittle than normal, so just upgrade to a phunnel, or a glass vortex, because I'm certain pyrex is better than poercelain.

Glad you appreciated the review, thing.  I think the Khanjar looks even better with the Sahara purge in it, and I really dig it with an Alien bowl on it...

I still may pick up one more Khanjar, just so I have the dark/gold model too.  

I won't like Sahara hookahs until I get this purge shiesse figured out...  Even then, I paid way more for my Sahara hookah that 2x KM hookahs cost, and KM is clearly the superior choice there... sigh...  Ignorance is not always bliss people...

Cool story.  I really don't hear enough about Sahara's stuff.  I just hear of people using it but never reviewing it or anything.

dd - I have their vortex.  It's ok.  It's, by design, the best one I've ever seen or used.  But, that being said, it's also large for the amount of tobacco it holds, and if you have any intention of using a Kaloud Lotus... well... you can get around it, but it's not great.

The one you have is the one with the design on the bowl? Is it this one? 

post-9346-0-71207500-1429514482_thumb.pn

I was always interested in that one for the looks but all the reviews I read people said that it breaks very easy, so I bypassed that one and got the regular Sahara Vortex instead which I like. 

Vortex bowls are a great concept, but made with cheap porcelain, and they break super easy.  I have to use the Dremel (again) to grind down the inner lip of the bowl where it connects to the grommet to get a prefect seal, because the weird lip thing they do doesn't cut it....  Then, if you push the bowl on too hard, it'll snap... aaaand when it's hot, it's much more brittle than normal, so just upgrade to a phunnel, or a glass vortex, because I'm certain pyrex is better than poercelain.

Glad you appreciated the review, thing.  I think the Khanjar looks even better with the Sahara purge in it, and I really dig it with an Alien bowl on it...

I still may pick up one more Khanjar, just so I have the dark/gold model too.  

I won't like Sahara hookahs until I get this purge shiesse figured out...  Even then, I paid way more for my Sahara hookah that 2x KM hookahs cost, and KM is clearly the superior choice there... sigh...  Ignorance is not always bliss people...

I wouldn't say ignorance. This hobby is super huge and there's a lot out there to try. I like to try everything at least once so I can learn about it and to make sure if I like it or not. 

The one you have is the one with the design on the bowl? Is it this one?

attachicon.gifbowl-detail-khanjar-vortex-black.png

I was always interested in that one for the looks but all the reviews I read people said that it breaks very easy, so I bypassed that one and got the regular Sahara Vortex instead which I like.

that bowl sucks my friend picked one up and it doesnt even fit on his km nor my little mya

yeah that's what I keep reading. I love the way it looks but not enough to get one that might not last me a long time. 

you would have to fined a gromment that fits perfectly and its a lot smaller then the pictures make it look

yeah is always good to have different size grommets. I have a set of 3 different sizes of grommets to fit any bowl that I might get in the future but I only use two of the the most unless I'm using my first hookah 

Grommets are cheap, and Mya grommets, being the thin pieces of silicon they are, would probably work fine for it.

I assume you never tried the wet paper towel method?

yeah is always good to have different size grommets. I have a set of 3 different sizes of grommets to fit any bowl that I might get in the future but I only use two of the the most unless I'm using my first hookah

i have at least 5 different shaped grommets and not one fits thay bowl. It get too narrow too fat for it to stay on a km