Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buckskin32

Hookah hose

Question

5 answers to this question

The resistance of the draw is a huge reason. Hoses with a narrow inner diameter are harder to pull from and can result in less smoke, though some say that gives you better flavor. 

yes the diameter of the hose is very important. Some people have preferences on the handle too

Also a more restricted draw can give you a headache from the extra work to pull just to get more smoke. 

Like Nima mentioned above, the comfort of the handle is also a huge deal for me. I'm partial to smaller handles. 

The main reason, like others have posted, is inner diameter, which makes the draw less restrictive.  If you've ever smoked in a lounge, you've probably smoked out of some sort of wider gauge hose, regardless if it was washable or not.  The ones that come with hookahs are usually extremely narrow.  I like a hose to be about as open as I can get it.

The other thing is ghosting.  With a standard, unwashable hose, if you smoke a strong flavor in it, it will "ghost" the hose, or leave a flavor imprint within the hose itself.  There are methods of cleaning out these hoses, but they're not the easiest, and they won't get everything out perfectly.  With a washable, you'll be able to remove that strong flavor by washing the hose, so that you're not tasting that really strong coffee flavor you smoked 5 sessions ago.

If you like your unwashable hose, stick with one flavor, or one flavor profile.  For instance, if you like strawberry, stick with fruit flavors that are very similar in taste (raspberry, maybe blueberry, etc.). or, if you like mints, dedicate it to smoking mint only.