chernobyl

Broken Hookah Support Group

Question

Cameronscottsummers gave the great idea of having a support group. Which I thought would make for a hilarious thread about our stories of when we have broken our hookahs. 

Let's hear your stories of how you shattered your favorite bowl or base.

• Like 2

44 answers to this question

We definitely need this group. After all this time I still have PTBBS (Post Traumatic Broken Bowl Syndrome). 

My other bowls are not happy because they are taking the brunt of my PTBBS. I don't let them hang out together so they don't bang together and I handle them with kids gloves so they don't tip over and break. They don't get to climb the cupboards so they don't fall like my first vortex, and they are only allowed to hang out and play on the counter upside-down and only on a towel I use for my hookah accessories. I only move them from hookah to counter using the plate I use for my coals for fear they will fall and hurt themselves. 

I've dropped them before  but none resulted in death until my first bowl broke in two. 

Even after all that my bowls are troopers, and even if they don't get to go out an play without supervision, they still perform without resentment. They are not jealous of their step-brother the Sahara Vortex and they are all get along. 

I love my bowls. 

• Like 3

I have so many stories of broken hookahs broken bowls broken hoses everything =( lets start with my first incident. My sister had a cheap Chinese hookah that i loved(as this was my first hookah she gave me to start off) i was at a party and brought it for friends to use. All of a sudden i heard a crack and found the try(made of glass) broke in to. About a month later i picked her up by the stem as i always had and BAM! The base fell and broke, in shock i let my arms drop and the bowl fell of and broke.. what a double whammy =(

• Like 3

I have so many stories of broken hookahs broken bowls broken hoses everything =( lets start with my first incident. My sister had a cheap Chinese hookah that i loved(as this was my first hookah she gave me to start off) i was at a party and brought it for friends to use. All of a sudden i heard a crack and found the try(made of glass) broke in to. About a month later i picked her up by the stem as i always had and BAM! The base fell and broke, in shock i let my arms drop and the bowl fell of and broke.. what a double whammy =(

Oh my damn that is a double whammy.... welcome to the support group jHookah. LOL

• Like 1

Oh my damn that is a double whammy.... welcome to the support group jHookah. LOL

oh trust me i have a couple more stories haha
  • Like 1

We definitely need this group. After all this time I still have PTBBS (Post Traumatic Broken Bowl Syndrome). 

My other bowls are not happy because they are taking the brunt of my PTBBS. I don't let them hang out together so they don't bang together and I handle them with kids gloves so they don't tip over and break. They don't get to climb the cupboards so they don't fall like my first vortex, and they are only allowed to hang out and play on the counter upside-down and only on a towel I use for my hookah accessories. I only move them from hookah to counter using the plate I use for my coals for fear they will fall and hurt themselves. 

I've dropped them before  but none resulted in death until my first bowl broke in two. 

Even after all that my bowls are troopers, and even if they don't get to go out an play without supervision, they still perform without resentment. They are not jealous of their step-brother the Sahara Vortex and they are all get along. 

I love my bowls. 

Welcome to the group.  :thumbsup: You would probably hate me! I keep mine in a drawer, albeit resting on the heads. All but two bowls have been neglected, and are collecting dust in the drawer. 

Oh my! That's terrible. I probably would have teared up at all that happening so quickly.

Yes, welcome!

Here is my story:

One summer day a group of my friends came over to have a bonfire and cookout.(You can see my pit and grill in the gallery) It was a bit of a windy night though which normally wouldn't be a problem. However as we were relaxing and smoking the hookah the wind picked up so badly it lifted a lawn chair and sent it flying. It flew right into the hookah and knocked it over. Coals and bits of coals were scattered everywhere, the bowl shattered and hearts broken. Doesn't stop there though, this is the hookah that has a female stem. So not only did my bowl break but then I had to scour the local market for a male(Syrian) bowl. 

Edited by chernobyl
  • Like 1

The sad incident:

I had purchased an Alien Mini bowl, and loved it immediately.  A week later, a friend came over, I was prepping the hookah, and BAM, the brand new Alien Mini fell off the counter.  I almost cried.

The "What Do I Do Now?" incident:

Back in the days of being new to hookah and not knowing really much about them, I bought my first hookah from a guy that was moving back to India.  Cool.  It was nothing special, but it looked nice - Chinese with a green glass base and a gunmetal finish.  Probably about 14-16", if I had to guess, but I've never measured it.

Months go by, and after picking up different tobaccos, trying out different things, etc.  I picked up my hookah and didn't have a good grip on the base.  Bam.  To the concrete (a previous apartment's concrete patio) it went.  Shattered into a million pieces, and, being a newbie, I didn't know what to do, nor did I have a backup.

The "meh" incident:

I was introducing some friends to the art of hookah.  I had recently bought an 80feet bowl, and thought I'd bring it over.  I really tried to like this bowl, but, personally, I didn't.  I had planned on smoking Haze and Fumari tobacco, as they both can be rather light, and are very juicy and modern.  I prepped up the hookah on an outdoor table, by the light of a fire pit nearby, so it was rather dark.  After prepping up everything, I was ready to put the bowl on the hookah.  It was already foiled up and packed and everything.  Then I got clumsy and dropped it onto concrete.  I went "meh."

The "WTF" incident:

I was going to the bachelor party of a friend, and I was put on hookah duty.  I bought along two hookahs, one of which I hadn't touched in probably 6 months (Nammor Pharaoh).  Last time I used it, I gave it a very thorough cleaning afterwards, gave it plenty of time to dry, and put it in a travel bag.

I shove my KM in the bag along with the Nammor, and hit the road.  When I arrive at my friend's apartment (where the party was to be, not the bachelor's house), I hand the bag to my friend and the strap breaks.  I hear nothing but glass shattering.  Two vases are completely broken.  However, I also notice the Nammor downstem under the heart was rusted to death.  Ended up throwing out the bag, the glass, and the Nammor, all in one sweep.  Thankfully, the KM was just fine.  I ran home, got another vase, and carried on with one hookah.  I was mad for days.

---

Hello.  My name is TheEightyFour, and my hookahs have broken.

• Like 2

Does anybody know where I can buy a base like this??d

Can you take another photo, maybe zoomed out a bit?  I have no idea what I'm looking at.  It kind of appears like I'm looking at a conduit for air conditioning in a small sports coupe.

• Like 1

I managed to break both of my bowls within a week of each other.

I was smoking with my girlfriend one weekend and we deiced to change flavors after we finished our first bowl. The bowl was still very hot and I was anxious to load it with more shisha. I decided to lift up a little on the ash try to loosen the bowl so I could more easily grab it without scalding my fingers. Well, I pulled too hard and the bowl fell onto the table and two pieces split off of the bottom. Thankfully it didn't shatter and it is still usable.

But....

A few days later we were smoking at my house and I decided to use my phunnel. I made sure it was secure, then picked up my hookah and started walking it over from my kitchen to the couch. Within my first few steps the bowl somehow got wobbly and fell and shattered on the floor.

I ordered a Samsaris/Lotus and Alien Mini as replacements and they still haven't come in yet. 

• Like 1

I was smoking with my girlfriend one weekend and we deiced to change flavors after we finished our first bowl. The bowl was still very hot and I was anxious to load it with more shisha. I decided to lift up a little on the ash try to loosen the bowl so I could more easily grab it without scalding my fingers. Well, I pulled too hard and the bowl fell onto the table and two pieces split off of the bottom. Thankfully it didn't shatter and it is still usable.

But....

A few days later we were smoking at my house and I decided to use my phunnel. I made sure it was secure, then picked up my hookah and started walking it over from my kitchen to the couch. Within my first few steps the bowl somehow got wobbly and fell and shattered on the floor.

I ordered a Samsaris/Lotus and Alien Mini as replacements and they still haven't come in yet.

Damn that is really unfortunate. Sorry for your loss.

I have the Samsaris/lotus and I honestly don't think I'll go back to using my normal phunnel unless I actually need to. The combination is just perfect

• Like 1

Damn that is really unfortunate. Sorry for your loss.

I have the Samsaris/lotus and I honestly don't think I'll go back to using my normal phunnel unless I actually need to. The combination is just perfect

One day ill have to break down and buy it then. You seem to really like it.

• Like 1

One day ill have to break down and buy it then. You seem to really like it.

I do recommend it highly. You can even see from my early posts that I was skeptical of the lotus but after actually using it I'm sold. The Samsaris itself is great, can't break and is literally a perfect fit for the lotus.
  • Like 1

Cameronscottsummers gave the great idea of having a support group. Which I thought would make for a hilarious thread about our stories of when we have broken our hookahs. 

Let's hear your stories of how you shattered your favorite bowl or base.

Great idea. I need to post pictures of my broken hookahs laying around (and the taped up hose)

• Like 1

But....

Wow I would have been super pissed if that happened to me. As it is I still haven't gotten over there first and only vortex I've ever broken. 

• Like 1

No broken bowl or hookah, but I had my first carpet burn tonight and man it smarts.

Funny thing is I have a glass top coffee table (quality item my neighbors left out by the street) that takes coals like a champ, so I though carpet burns would never, ever happen to me. Coal split in half, and in carelessly picking it up to blow on the unlit center it flipped out of my tongs and onto the carpet.

Learned my lesson: Coal futzing will ONLY occur safely over the table!

• Like 2

No broken bowl or hookah, but I had my first carpet burn tonight and man it smarts.

Funny thing is I have a glass top coffee table (quality item my neighbors left out by the street) that takes coals like a champ, so I though carpet burns would never, ever happen to me. Coal split in half, and in carelessly picking it up to blow on the unlit center it flipped out of my tongs and onto the carpet.

Learned my lesson: Coal futzing will ONLY occur safely over the table!

We have all been there. My first roommate left his instalight marks all over my living room table. I use coasters to cover them. The one weekend I leave town while he lives there and that happens. He was inferior to stoves and only used those. No way to enjoy shisha!

• Like 1

So today I decided to try the oxiclean method in Paul's video of boiling the water and dumping the bowls in oxiclean. The funnel bowl was the one that came out the best, but some of the blue glaze came off the rim which is fine with me. The vortex is going to need quite a few more treatments because it didn't get cleaned as much. HOWEVER, as I was shaking the excess water, i hit the rim and I chipped it. I think it's still usable so I'm not to worried, but it gives me a reason to buy some new ones. 

post-9346-0-92215500-1433799155_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-43672500-1433799163_thumb.jp

post-9346-0-39703800-1433799170_thumb.jp

• Like 1

When I bought my Nammor hookah last year, I accidentally pushed down on the stock bowl too hard (they sent me too big of a grommet) and it literally just broke in half. I had to bolt down to the smoke shop down the hill and buy a cheap phunnel bowl, which ended up working better anyway. I was still pissed though. Lol

Edited by mookmonsta
  • Like 1

When I bought my Nammor hookah last year, I accidentally pushed down on the stock bowl too hard (they sent me too big of a grommet) and it literally just broke in half. I had to bolt down to the smoke shop down the hill and buy a cheap phunnel bowl, which ended up working better anyway. I was still pissed though. Lol

I think anybody would be pissed about breaking their first bowl. Now is just a matter of dealing with the PTBBS (Post Traumatic Broken Bowl Syndrome). I think this group should help with that. LOL 

• Like 1

Oh BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. This morning while I was making breakfast I heard a loud noise in the living room and I come out to see this.

ea1f69afcdb0dccd4b256b0711908fc1.jpg

His new name is Chip. Thanks boyfriend

• Like 1

Oh BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. This morning while I was making breakfast I heard a loud noise in the living room and I come out to see this.

ea1f69afcdb0dccd4b256b0711908fc1.jpg

His new name is Chip. Thanks boyfriend

OH NO!!!!!!!! is it still smokeable? I hope is not to serious. 

• Like 1

OH NO!!!!!!!! is it still smokeable? I hope is not to serious.

Still smokes like a champ. It wasn't that bad but it's a little less pretty now :(
  • Like 1

Still smokes like a champ. It wasn't that bad but it's a little less pretty now :(

Well I'm glad that it still smokes like a champ. You can always just put pretty water in the base and light up the show to distract you from the ding. 

• Like 1

So my alien ive had for about 8 months broke =( smoking hookahs and finished a session then i went to go hang with the boys came back and the bowl was broke sister and brother said they packed the bowl(as ive showed them how before) said they took the timfoil off and it was broken from the heat i speculate they dropped it and wont say anything =( good thing i have that vortex coming from the giveaway and actually will get to see if i like them or not as i know more now then when i first started off with them. My bowl count is going down two Egyptians (1 large and 1 small) a samsaris or however you spell that name and soon to be vortex

• Like 1

So my alien ive had for about 8 months broke =( smoking hookahs and finished a session then i went to go hang with the boys came back and the bowl was broke sister and brother said they packed the bowl(as ive showed them how before) said they took the timfoil off and it was broken from the heat i speculate they dropped it and wont say anything =( good thing i have that vortex coming from the giveaway and actually will get to see if i like them or not as i know more now then when i first started off with them. My bowl count is going down two Egyptians (1 large and 1 small) a samsaris or however you spell that name and soon to be vortex

I broke my 80feet after packing it - dropped it onto concrete.  I thought it was fine, but as soon as I peeled off the foil, shards were everywhere.  I'm guessing that's what happened to the alien.  If you're anything like me, you went and already ordered another!  haha

• Like 1