Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jHookah

Flying saucer bowl

Question

Has anyone tried this bowl? I think it looks cool and possibly get one in the future but i would like some opinions for you all first

Has anyone tried this bowl? I think it looks cool and possibly get one in the future but i would like some opinions for you all first

Haven't tried it but I'm not a fan of how the spire goes above the brim. I feel like coals will be much easier to knock off. I'd rather go for the Alien. That's just me though.

Haven't tried it but I'm not a fan of how the spire goes above the brim. I feel like coals will be much easier to knock off. I'd rather go for the Alien. That's just me though.

hj made a video yesterday they fix up the FS bowl by lowering the spire and making it wider but it still goes above the rim which is not a problem for me as when i use the alien i stick a nail under the tin foil to lift it above the spire so my bowls are never flat anyways

hj made a video yesterday they fix up the FS bowl by lowering the spire and making it wider but it still goes above the rim which is not a problem for me as when i use the alien i stick a nail under the tin foil to lift it above the spire so my bowls are never flat anyways

Yeah I watched that video. It is much better now but I still stick with the raised foil thing. I would put a sewing needle through mine but it never raised it much.

Yeah I watched that video. It is much better now but I still stick with the raised foil thing. I would put a sewing needle through mine but it never raised it much.

i put a nail so in use to a raised surface

jhookah you didn't notice the foil STILL came out sideways when he put it on in the video?

1.) You can't use foil as good as any other bowl practically in existence, it either bunches up or has a slope which the coals WILL fall off if you have an extra rumbly KM.

2.) You can't use the lotus, the spire is WAY too high. Even "fixing" it like John said did nothing for the lotus.

3.) It's an alien with a restricted draw.

I can't give this bowl a single merit and I have no idea why it's still around other than HJ's name is on it. Either get a vortex and an alien or just buy one and have great sessions. There is a reason why this bowl is hookahjohn's least bought product.

jhookah you didn't notice the foil STILL came out sideways when he put it on in the video?

1.) You can't use foil as good as any other bowl practically in existence, it either bunches up or has a slope which the coals WILL fall off if you have an extra rumbly KM.

2.) You can't use the lotus, the spire is WAY too high. Even "fixing" it like John said did nothing for the lotus.

I can't give this bowl a single merit and I have no idea why it's still around other than HJ's name is on it. Either get a vortex and an alien or just buy one and have great sessions. There is a reason why this bowl is hookahjohn's least bought product.

yeah i seen and that doesnt bother me really. I have the kaloud but its just there to have im not like wow look its a kaloud lotus and its amazing. I get a longer session using my alien with tin foil then using the kaloud samsaris and lotus. (Probably because im not 100% sure how to use it right) i think it will be a nice bowl to have imo mostly because i dont have a vortex style bowl in my collection

regardless thankyou for your input and will put what you said into consideration on what to get next

yeah i seen and that doesnt bother me really. I have the kaloud but its just there to have im not like wow look its a kaloud lotus and its amazing. I get a longer session using my alien with tin foil then using the kaloud samsaris and lotus. (Probably because im not 100% sure how to use it right) i think it will be a nice bowl to have imo mostly because i dont have a vortex style bowl in my collection

I'm loving my Lotus. Though I do miss using foil sometimes. I'm getting three hour sessions easy with my Samsaris and lotus.

I'm loving my Lotus. Though I do miss using foil sometimes. I'm getting three hour sessions easy with my Samsaris and lotus.

i get like an hour to an hour and a half my alien i can get 3 hours with foil haha

i get like an hour to an hour and a half my alien i can get 3 hours with foil haha

Perhaps our packing methods are vastly different

how do you pack that bowl?

With a semi dense pack, but staying under the fill line

I kind of like the idea but if I'm going to go for a JH raised spired bowl that looks like a glorified vortex, I might as well just try the OG bowls which have that raised ceramic stick across the hole of the funnel. I like those better, but that's just me. 

I kind of like the idea but if I'm going to go for an JH raises spired bowl that looks like a glorified vortex, I might as well just try the OG bowls which have that raised ceramic stick across the hole of the funnel. I like those better, but that's just me.

Actually I agree with that. If I went with a raised spire it would have to be like the OG. Only raised enough to keep the foil from falling and ruining a session

I kind of like the idea but if I'm going to go for an JH raises spired bowl that looks like a glorified vortex, I might as well just try the OG bowls which have that raised ceramic stick across the hole of the funnel. I like those better, but that's just me.

i would like to add that to my collection also. I think bowls are the best way to decorate your hookah and smoke different kinds of shisha. And most arent expensive most of the time

i would like to add that to my collection also. I think bowls are the best way to decorate your hookah and smoke different kinds of shisha. And most arent expensive most of the time

It's weird, I have spent a crap ton on bowls but barely use most of them. But I haven't spent anything in different bases. I think changing the base is a great way to decorate your hookah.

It's weird, I have spent a crap ton on bowls but barely use most of them. But I haven't spent anything in different bases. I think changing the base is a great way to decorate your hookah.

im way more likely not to change a base then to change a bowl. I use a lot of my bowls all the time.

With no disrespect to DudeWheresMyHookah, I recently bought a blue rutile flying saucer bowl, and I think it's pretty badass.  I use a lazy susan with my hookahs, because I move around a lot, and have people over once in a blue moon so when I do hand them the hose and the whole thing rotates to aim the hose better to them, my hookahs rock around left and right, and I still have yet to 'spill' a coal off this bowl.

The spire is barely an 1/8" above the bowl-line, and though you must use foil, the folds or creases in the aluminum are negligible to the smoking experience.  It's a Alien bowl with a capped spire and 4 ports.  It does restrict draw moreso than an alien.  Nothing wrong with that sometimes.  Sometimes my KM Kamanja has too much draw, and a slightly restrictive bowl is just the ticket.  If you want a wide open draw, this wont be your go-to bowl.

I have the 4 HJ bowls now, and am going to start messing around with glass bowls in the not-too-distant future.  I use all of my bowls except the vortex bowls now.  I just am too much of an oaf to not shatter the porcelain.  It's just not for me.  This flying saucer bowl is the exception to that rule.

I love switching out the bowls.  I use the Alien 75% of the time, because it's just me, and I usually dont have much more than an hour to smoke, so the Alien and Lotus is perfect for me.

Just another opinion, I do quite dig the bowl.  I bought it for the name, but not HJ's, the flying saucer is just cool, and it completes my HJ set.

With no disrespect to DudeWheresMyHookah, I recently bought a blue rutile flying saucer bowl, and I think it's pretty badass.  I use a lazy susan with my hookahs, because I move around a lot, and have people over once in a blue moon so when I do hand them the hose and the whole thing rotates to aim the hose better to them, my hookahs rock around left and right, and I still have yet to 'spill' a coal off this bowl.

The spire is barely an 1/8" above the bowl-line, and though you must use foil, the folds or creases in the aluminum are negligible to the smoking experience.  It's a Alien bowl with a capped spire and 4 ports.  It does restrict draw moreso than an alien.  Nothing wrong with that sometimes.  Sometimes my KM Kamanja has too much draw, and a slightly restrictive bowl is just the ticket.  If you want a wide open draw, this wont be your go-to bowl.

I have the 4 HJ bowls now, and am going to start messing around with glass bowls in the not-too-distant future.  I use all of my bowls except the vortex bowls now.  I just am too much of an oaf to not shatter the porcelain.  It's just not for me.  This flying saucer bowl is the exception to that rule.

I love switching out the bowls.  I use the Alien 75% of the time, because it's just me, and I usually dont have much more than an hour to smoke, so the Alien and Lotus is perfect for me.

Just another opinion, I do quite dig the bowl.  I bought it for the name, but not HJ's, the flying saucer is just cool, and it completes my HJ set.

I think using a lazy suzan is an awesome idea. That way you don't have to buy special hookahs with modified bases that rotate for the same purpose. 

I personally think that it's just a matter of preference what people want to use and what works for them. That's the beauty of this lifestyle; the amount of choices that we have to make just the perfect personalized combination that hits the spot. 

Now with that said, I'm not a fan of HJ even though I like the concept of the bowl. HJ is just a marketer and an inventor looking to make his pocket fatter at the expense of the hookah community and there's nothing wrong with that, but his stuff is not for me. He has had too many failures in search of "Gimmicks" that will catch on, and I'm not cool with that. Anybody remember "Chronic-gate"? yeah, I just look at in inventor looking for the next pocket-fattening gimmick. 

I think using a lazy suzan is an awesome idea. That way you don't have to buy special hookahs with modified bases that rotate for the same purpose.

I personally think that it's just a matter of preference what people want to use and what works for them. That's the beauty of this lifestyle; the amount of choices that we have to make just the perfect personalized combination that hits the spot.

Now with that said, I'm not a fan of HJ even though I like the concept of the bowl. HJ is just a marketer and an inventor looking to make his pocket fatter at the expense of the hookah community and there's nothing wrong with that, but his stuff is not for me. He has had too many failures in search of "Gimmicks" that will catch on, and I'm not cool with that. Anybody remember "Chronic-gate"? yeah, I just look at in inventor looking for the next pocket-fattening gimmick.

yeah he does have some ehhh products like the chronic coals i got even though you dont agree me titaniums are one of the best coals ive tried because i like lower heat but i know some stuff isnt up to par from hj

Chronics are the best "cheap" coal on the market though.  I used them for a long time.  Super cheap, and, actually, not bad quality.  However, since going over to Titaniums, I have no desire to go back.  Just a few bucks more is worth it.

Chronics are the best "cheap" coal on the market though. I used them for a long time. Super cheap, and, actually, not bad quality. However, since going over to Titaniums, I have no desire to go back. Just a few bucks more is worth it.

see i did the opposite i started with titanium's then went to chronic to save a lot of money with the deal i got. They are good coals but i prefer titaniums