Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mookmonsta

I took the plunge, but I've got questions!

Question

Hey guys. So I got a wild hair and decided to upgrade from my Nammor Euphrates to a Lavoo MP-1 Jr all glass hookah. I've seen the way glass hookahs smoke and I've been dying to try one for myself for months now.

So I've got a few questions:

1. I ordered from H-S and they are including a cheap washable hose instead of the stock lavoo hose. I'm not too concerned with this because I generally like the pull of washable hoses, but at the same time I'm curious to know if any of you have a go-to hose for this particular hookah or any glass hookah for that matter. From what I hear, glass hookahs are finicky and require adapters for certain parts, so hoses that don't require much extra work or parts are a plus.

2. Are there any tips or tricks I should know to get thick, tasty clouds? Packing the bowl, water level, heat management, coals etc. I picked up the Kaloud Lotus and it's guaranteed to fit the stock bowl, so that's good.

3. Not necessarily specific to this hookah but, favorite shisha brands? Getting pretty tired of overpaying for starbuzz and constantly buying little boxes of Al Fakher.

Hey guys. So I got a wild hair and decided to upgrade from my Nammor Euphrates to a Lavoo MP-1 Jr all glass hookah. I've seen the way glass hookahs smoke and I've been dying to try one for myself for months now.

So I've got a few questions:

1. I ordered from H-S and they are including a cheap washable hose instead of the stock lavoo hose. I'm not too concerned with this because I generally like the pull of washable hoses, but at the same time I'm curious to know if any of you have a go-to hose for this particular hookah or any glass hookah for that matter. From what I hear, glass hookahs are finicky and require adapters for certain parts, so hoses that don't require much extra work or parts are a plus.

2. Are there any tips or tricks I should know to get thick, tasty clouds? Packing the bowl, water level, heat management, coals etc. I picked up the Kaloud Lotus and it's guaranteed to fit the stock bowl, so that's good.

3. Not necessarily specific to this hookah but, favorite shisha brands? Getting pretty tired of overpaying for starbuzz and constantly buying little boxes of Al Fakher.

not many of us on here have glass hookahs but i do have one back with my parents. You have to be really careful with them because they do break easy. Imo getting a silicon hose is the best i use mine with every single session. As shisha goes im an AF kind of person but other shishas to try our nakhla, social smoke, pure, and tangiers i beleive SS and pure run about the same as starbuzz does tangiers is about 18 bucks and nakhla is the cheapest brand i know usually running anywhere from 8 to 12 bucks

What jHookah said - not many of us have glass hookahs.  They're really expensive.  Fantastic, but really expensive.  And, yes, because all glass hookahs are typically "grommet-less," often times you need adapters to make things work.  You'll have to do your own research into this to figure out if you can use an alternative hose.  If you want a wide draw, I couldn't recommend the D-Hose (Acrylic) more.  I'd stay away from the glass one - it would compliment your hookah better, but the tip weighs too much to be comfortable.

As far as clouds, it's all about packing technique and heat management.  Everyone and their mother has an idea for the best way to pack a hookah.  I'd recommend checking out some YouTube videos for tips and techniques.

I'm a big fan of Nakhla and Tangiers.  Social Smoke's a great brand too, and AF is great, but get 250g packages instead of the little boxes.  They'll treat you better.

What jHookah said - not many of us have glass hookahs.  They're really expensive.  Fantastic, but really expensive.  And, yes, because all glass hookahs are typically "grommet-less," often times you need adapters to make things work.  You'll have to do your own research into this to figure out if you can use an alternative hose.  If you want a wide draw, I couldn't recommend the D-Hose (Acrylic) more.  I'd stay away from the glass one - it would compliment your hookah better, but the tip weighs too much to be comfortable.

As far as clouds, it's all about packing technique and heat management.  Everyone and their mother has an idea for the best way to pack a hookah.  I'd recommend checking out some YouTube videos for tips and techniques.

I'm a big fan of Nakhla and Tangiers.  Social Smoke's a great brand too, and AF is great, but get 250g packages instead of the little boxes.  They'll treat you better.

I wouldn't say fantastic, but they are in general very beautiful. On the plus side, the adapters are generally easy to find. 

You are totally right TheEightyFour. MookMonsta, you should just figure out what works for you by trial and error too. Sometimes preparing and smoking a hookah is more of an art form than a science. 

Definitely try Nakhla, it may seem cheap but it is a classic. A company doesn't stick around for over a hundred years for no reason. Buying in 250g boxes is easier on the wallet and the quality usually seems better than the 50g boxes. The downside is if you don't smoke a lot then you will be holding on to one flavor for a long time. 

I recently turned 21 and came up on some birthday money so I decided to go ahead and get one :) Also, for health reasons because I've I become a bowl-a-day smoker and i would rather not inhale any more toxins than necessary. I already have my preferred method of packing bowls but I just wanted to see if anyone had ever used the stock bowl on this model before.

I went ahead and ordered a couple boxes of Nakhla and a pack of cane mint Tangiers to get me started. Been wanting to try Tangiers for a while now but everyone kept scaring me away with their horror stories. Lol

I recently turned 21 and came up on some birthday money so I decided to go ahead and get one :) Also, for health reasons because I've I become a bowl-a-day smoker and i would rather not inhale any more toxins than necessary. I already have my preferred method of packing bowls but I just wanted to see if anyone had ever used the stock bowl on this model before.

I went ahead and ordered a couple boxes of Nakhla and a pack of cane mint Tangiers to get me started. Been wanting to try Tangiers for a while now but everyone kept scaring me away with their horror stories. Lol

me personally its the easiest shisha for me to pack. I was the same way but finally ended up buying cane mint for the first time in January been hooked ever sense. Be anyways i pack that shisha just like any other bowl

Watch some videos on YouTube.  Figure out what people are doing.  Then, throw it all out the window, and try it your own way.  There's the "Tangiers-approved" ways of packing it, but guys like jHookah pack it just like any other tobacco.  I go between a medium pack and a super-dense pack

The best things I've found for Tangiers are:

- When you poke holes, use a small poker (a toothpick works great if you don't have a thin poker), and poke all the way down to the bottom.  This creates airflow, regardless of packing density.

- Put more holes in the foil than you would for most other tobaccos.  Again, airflow.  This tobacco thrives on it.

- Use a phunnel bowl (though jHookah might disagree with me here).

- Make sure the tobacco doesn't touch the foil when packing.  It might expand a bit, but by that point, the top layer will have already cooked over and it's not a big deal.

Otherwise, enjoy.  Cane Mint is a really great flavor, and a great choice for first try on Tangiers.

Oh, also, if you get the pack and open it up and it smells like soy sauce or barbecue sauce, that's OK.  It just needs to acclimate.  Keep the bag open and set it aside somewhere.  Give it a good stir every hour or so.

Cane mint is so strong that you can't mess up packing it. My first go with it was even in a off brand ceramic phunnel instead of a true clay composite one like tangiers or HJ makes. You need a quality bowl, not an Egyptian not a vortex but at least a "good" quality phunnel.

I'm positive cane mint will go down in the books as THE strongest hookah flavor out there years from now. It was a great choice getting that one first.

With other tangiers flavors you need more experience to pack them to the clouds and longevity to it's potential. The last "horror story" I had was dark plum noir. No matter what I would try I could not get that one to smoke which sucks because it smelled just like dr. pepper..... my favorite soda. I've been on tangiers since 2013 and plum had me at a complete loss.

Personally I'd start with the birquq line because it's just easier to work in regards to acclimation and packing. I've bought foreplay on the peach and had it smoke straight out of the bag no acclimation needed. I did however smack the crap out of it on my dresser and kneaded all the juice around prior to opening it that day though.

as for glass hookahs, well I only trust in one the Art hookah, I have smoked a fumo tank and did not care for it whatsoever. There is to much trouble in getting those glass screen things to work and seal the hose port properly. I believe glass is all about status and doesn't effect the smoke quality at all. Plus glass bowls are a bitch to keep clean along with the vases themselves. I recommend oxi clean and rubbing alcohol above 70%. Oxi clean you just let sit for 30 minutes whereas rubbing alcohol you need to add an abrasive material like salt crystals to really clean it. Either will work.

as for glass hookahs, well I only trust in one the Art hookah, I have smoked a fumo tank and did not care for it whatsoever. There is to much trouble in getting those glass screen things to work and seal the hose port properly. I believe glass is all about status and doesn't effect the smoke quality at all. Plus glass bowls are a bitch to keep clean along with the vases themselves. I recommend oxi clean and rubbing alcohol above 70%. Oxi clean you just let sit for 30 minutes whereas rubbing alcohol you need to add an abrasive material like salt crystals to really clean it. Either will work.

My Spyro base gets the same way.  I don't need an abrasive because I can reach down in there with a brush, but I do use 96% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to clean it (costs the same as a lesser %, and you can always dilute it - I dilute mine with the hottest tap water I can get).

Which brings me to another topic - glass, unlike metal, is much more heat sensitive.  If you go from having a dirty hookah that's relatively cool (maybe it was sitting outside on a cool fall day, for example), you NEVER want to hit it with hot water.  Start with cold water, or close to room temperature, fill and rinse, increase the temperature a little, fill and rinse, and continue until the glass is also warm.  If you don't do this, it will likely crack or shatter.  And there goes your investment.  It's usually OK (though not recommended) for most hookah bases because the glass is thick, and the thickness of the glass will prevent cracks.  Glass hookahs, on the other hand, are often made with thinner glass, and, if you're not careful, will shatter into really expensive bits.

You should try to put enough water such that the pipe is cover one inch in the water.

Now, if you put ice in your hookah the water level usually rises, so you might put a little less water (3/4 an inch above the bottom of pipe)...

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

i wash all my hookahs with cold water. Ive tried hot water and it taste weird after wards but cold water doesnt

Update: This thing smokes like a boss. Worth every penny. Huge clouds, pure, clean taste and a sleek look. 10/10 would reccommend. And the D-Hose works perfectly with it! Currently smoking mint chocolate chill fumari and it's perfect.

I know a lot of people view glass hookahs as gimmicky and overpriced (I was one of of those people) but...I seriously have never tasted smoke this pure from any traditional hookah. It's a winner ya'll

Update: This thing smokes like a boss. Worth every penny. Huge clouds, pure, clean taste and a sleek look. 10/10 would reccommend. And the D-Hose works perfectly with it! Currently smoking mint chocolate chill fumari and it's perfect.

I know a lot of people view glass hookahs as gimmicky and overpriced (I was one of of those people) but...I seriously have never tasted smoke this pure from any traditional hookah. It's a winner ya'll

I'm glad you got the hookah smoking right and enjoying it like you should be. You should post a picture of it on here I love seeing the dream hose in action. 

2dbab1a8cbe539d81e4b23aa4170aca7.jpg Had to do the Seahawks colors for the first smoke, as whack as it is

i..i dont think we can talk im a packers fan

I've got nothing but love for the Packers! The Patriots on the other hand...

one question and only one..the "fail Mary" good call or bad

one question and only one..the "fail Mary" good call or bad

I would call it a simultaneous catch. It was practically impossible to call. It could've gone either way to be honest, which is why it originally got called both ways. But since the consensus among the refs was a touchdown, it would be blasphemous of me as a Seahawks fan to argue with that call.

2dbab1a8cbe539d81e4b23aa4170aca7.jpg Had to do the Seahawks colors for the first smoke, as whack as it is

OH wow I'm in love! Nice colors and no worries, I wouldn't have know they were football colors until you brought it up. I just like how cool the colors look in the hookah. 

OH wow I'm in love! Nice colors and no worries, I wouldn't have know they were football colors until you brought it up. I just like how cool the colors look in the hookah.

I know that was part of the appeal for me too! People also put LED lights at the bottom to dress it up too. It really is a beautiful piece and the fact that it's both attractive AND functional makes me respect the glass market a lot more.

I know that was part of the appeal for me too! People also put LED lights at the bottom to dress it up too. It really is a beautiful piece and the fact that it's both attractive AND functional makes me respect the glass market a lot more.

yeah i've seen it with the lights and I like it a lot, but to be honest I would rather do what you did and just add food coloring to the water so I can have any color I want while I smoke. Two thumbs up.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

needless to say glass hookahs are a beauty and hit so smoothly

needless to say glass hookahs are a beauty and hit so smoothly

So smooth! The taste is phenomenal. I really think you could put just about any shisha in here, even the little dollar cups from the smoke shop, and they would taste alright.

So smooth! The taste is phenomenal. I really think you could put just about any shisha in here, even the little dollar cups from the smoke shop, and they would taste alright.

i wouldnt go that far (as im very picky) but i know what youre trying to say for some reason glass just makes it taste better

dollar cups? are those the 8g cups like the coffee k-cups? I've had those from hookah-hookah and both flavors I've had were really deliscious. I had the orange tang and peanut butter explosion which ghosted my Namoor washable hose like crazy.

dollar cups? are those the 8g cups like the coffee k-cups? I've had those from hookah-hookah and both flavors I've had were really deliscious. I had the orange tang and peanut butter explosion which ghosted my Namoor washable hose like crazy.

Exactly what I'm talking about. They're really hit or miss but some of them are pretty decent if you're in a pinch.