TheShade007

How to get a cold smoke?

Question

Guys how much ice is required to get a very cold smoke out of a 17 inch Hookah ? I use chilled water in base and use 2 coco star coal... The water is at a level in which only 2 cm of the stem is dipped... Do I have to apply something else in the base to get a cold smoke ?

• Like 3

16 answers to this question

Guys how much ice is required to get a very cold smoke out of a 17 inch Hookah ? I use chilled water in base and use 2 coco star coal... The water is at a level in which only 2 cm of the stem is dipped... Do I have to apply something else in the base to get a cold smoke ?

It's up to you about how cold you want the smoke to be. I've been able to add 3 trays of ice cubes to the base (about 42 pieces of ice) with just enough water to not go over the fill line and it has been lovely to me. Another upside to that much ice is that the cubes work as a diffuser.

That was then however, now I have the Mystique ice hose and ice hose tips and that's more than enough cold smoke for me. Too much cold and I won't be able to enjoy the flavor as the cold diminishes it. 

• Like 4

DD's comments are spot on.  Besides ice, you can:

1. Invest in an ice tip/ice hose

2. Invest in a hookah with an ice bowl

3. Submerge the base in a bucket of ice - seriously.  Fill your hookah like you normally would, then get a bucket/tub/whatever, and fill with ice and salt (the salt will make the ice melt, but will keep the water even colder, below freezing, it's physics).  submerge your base in it.

3. Put your base in the freezer for a half-hour before smoking.  This will keep your ice colder longer, much like a frosty beer mug.

In any case, be careful with using ice or sub-zero water or air with glass.  Significant, quick drops (or increases) in temperature can result in some bad things if you're not careful.  Don't go from sitting out in the sun to submerged in ice or you'll likely crack your base.

• Like 4

DD's comments are spot on.  Besides ice, you can:

1. Invest in an ice tip/ice hose

2. Invest in a hookah with an ice bowl

3. Submerge the base in a bucket of ice - seriously.  Fill your hookah like you normally would, then get a bucket/tub/whatever, and fill with ice and salt (the salt will make the ice melt, but will keep the water even colder, below freezing, it's physics).  submerge your base in it.

3. Put your base in the freezer for a half-hour before smoking.  This will keep your ice colder longer, much like a frosty beer mug.

In any case, be careful with using ice or sub-zero water or air with glass.  Significant, quick drops (or increases) in temperature can result in some bad things if you're not careful.  Don't go from sitting out in the sun to submerged in ice or you'll likely crack your base.

I tried the base in the freezer once and it definitely works for a bit. Usually so I don't freak out I would fill the base with water and put it in the fridge for the day until it was time to smoke. You definitely don't want to leave the base in the freezer too long or the temperature change will crack it. 

• Like 2

Step 1:  Find a snowy plain, cave, or forest

Step 2:  Set up and smoke hookah there

Step 3:  Enjoy a cold smoke...

...it had to be said :)

• Like 5

Step 1:  Find a snowy plain, cave, or forest

Step 2:  Set up and smoke hookah there

Step 3:  Enjoy a cold smoke...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Well said. 

• Like 2

Step 1: Find a snowy plain, cave, or forest

Step 2: Set up and smoke hookah there

Step 3: Enjoy a cold smoke...

Best plan indeed... Will try as soon as possible..

• Like 2

Step 1: Find a snowy plain, cave, or forest

Step 2: Set up and smoke hookah there

Step 3: Enjoy a cold smoke...

Sorry but you'll have to find a new plan. I'm currently hiking up Everest, when I reach the peak I'll get this bowl started.
  • Like 2

Sorry but you'll have to find a new plan. I'm currently hiking up Everest, when I reach the peak I'll get this bowl started.

And that deserves a LOL..
  • Like 2

Just be careful.  It would suck to end up like this guy.

002MRD_Harve_Presnell_003.jpg

That would be one damn cold hookah though.

Edited by TheEightyFour
  • Like 3

I mean if your looking for cold smoke putting ice in the vase won't make it as cold the only real thing it does is make the smoke production more thicker,but if you want cold smoke what you can do is their are hoses where they have a ice chamber/packet i bought mine from [LINK REMOVED]

Edited by chernobyl

One thing I've heard and wanted to try was crushing up mints like Altoids and adding then to the base

I've done it. You just get more mint not necessarily cooler smoke. If you use regular mint candies it'll make for a sweeter smoke and give your water a light red hue. It looks pretty cool.

I've done it. You just get more mint not necessarily cooler smoke. If you use regular mint candies it'll make for a sweeter smoke and give your water a light red hue. It looks pretty cool.

That's slightly upsetting but I think I'll try the candies

• Like 1

I think it depends on the mints you use because I got an extra kick of menthol flavor.