Nima

September Giveaway - Sponsored by Hookah.org

If you've been a member / visitor of Hookah.org for a more than six months you've already noticed that our design has been updated (our forum software has been upgraded to a new major version too). Our goal was to make it easier to browse all of our content and also make the forum more user friendly / accessible. 

For our September giveaway, we are asking that you answer two simple questions about our new design. The prizes are 10 Hookah.org coffee mugs (pictures below). Six of the mugs will be given to the Six most constructive (positive or negative) feedback. The other four will be given out randomly. 

The two questions are 

1) Tell us what you like the most about the new design.

2) Tell us what you like the least (or don't like at all) about the new design.

We are going to read every one of your comments carefully and make as many improvements as we can based on them. So please take a few minutes, browse the different pages of the website, and give us your best feedback. Responses need to be at least few sentences for each questions to be considered for the giveaway. Kudos to you if you plan on posting screen shots and more detailed feedback.

New entries can be submitted until end of day on Friday, September 25th. 

2015-08-09_10.38.36.thumb.jpg.ea6a950899

2015-08-09_16.39.55.thumb.jpg.fdc7b2a0dd

Edited by Nima
  • Like 1

Hey guys, first I want to say great job on the new design!  It is so much more manageable and so much easier to navigate.  My favorite part of the new design is the drop down menus.  These present all the different categories of the website in a way that both experienced/familiar hookah enthusiasts and those brand new to hookah can navigate the different topics with ease.  

The negatives are small, actually there is just one.  The color scheme of the website is a little boring to me.  It has nothing to do with accessibility of the website, hookah.org nailed that on the head.  Blue background with the hookah.org logo in random places just does not do it for me.  Oh and Paul needs more videos to upload.

Other than that keep up the great work over here! 

Cameron J (redbeardedsyrian)

• Like 2

I won't have any screenshots because my chromebook hates the internet and only likes looking at websites, and interacting with them not so much...

So, pro's as I see them include ease of access, everything is basically on a 'heads up display' setup, and makes navigating this forum easier than most of my other forums I haunt...  Some forums still operating on old school platforms which are amazing that they still function...

Cons as I see them are while within a forum thread I see activity on the side and popular contributors and whatnot, but maybe a light shade of Hookah.org blue for a backdrop to separate the white spaces with a bit more splash of color... As hookah enthusiasts I'm sure we are all fans of diversity and colors, so that would be my suggestion (to be taken with a grain of salt) since it's not so much a con, or a detractor, just an open-minded, objective view.  

Thanks again for all the work you guys put into this forum and the efforts to constantly make things better... Spot on customer service, if that is what you wish to call it, professionalism would work nicely here, too.

• Like 2

I'm extremely new, I've only joined a few days ago so I can't comment on whether I think things are better or worse. I can say that being new. I found this to be extremely easy and accessible to navigate and find what I'm looking for. I've browsed on a few other forums, maybe three others or so. And I can honestly say this is the most accessible to go through. Its another plus that its available as an app which doesn't seem very common either but I suppose that's a bit irrelevant to this topic. Regardless I find it very simple and welcoming actually. I believe the fact that the ease of use actually makes it much less intimidating to go through and didn't feel as though I would need any kind of experience to just come in, read some posts and comment. Downside is like the others have said I feel as though the color scheme is very bland, noticeably so and you only have an option to turn it black. I also have some issues when trying to post and it won't go through so I'll have to retype a few times here and there but I don't know if it has anything to do with the new update. So mostly a good review from me. Again, not to kiss ass here but I find it more accommodating being a new member than other forums or groups.

• Like 2

I'm extremely new, I've only joined a few days ago so I can't comment on whether I think things are better or worse. I can say that being new. I found this to be extremely easy and accessible to navigate and find what I'm looking for. I've browsed on a few other forums, maybe three others or so. And I can honestly say this is the most accessible to go through. Its another plus that its available as an app which doesn't seem very common either but I suppose that's a bit irrelevant to this topic. Regardless I find it very simple and welcoming actually. I believe the fact that the ease of use actually makes it much less intimidating to go through and didn't feel as though I would need any kind of experience to just come in, read some posts and comment. Downside is like the others have said I feel as though the color scheme is very bland, noticeably so and you only have an option to turn it black. I also have some issues when trying to post and it won't go through so I'll have to retype a few times here and there but I don't know if it has anything to do with the new update. So mostly a good review from me. Again, not to kiss ass here but I find it more accommodating being a new member than other forums or groups.

Thanks for the feedback Mint Head. 

Can you tell me more about the problems you're having when trying to post? Are you posting through the desktop, mobile browser, or mobile app? If you can give me more detail I can get our programmer to fix it (or pass it as a bug to the forum software people). 

• Like 1

I just ordered a bunch of mugs too. They should get here in the next one week and I'll have them all wrapped and ready to ship. That way I can get them out the door as soon as the giveaway ends.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Mint Head. 

Can you tell me more about the problems you're having when trying to post? Are you posting through the desktop, mobile browser, or mobile app? If you can give me more detail I can get our programmer to fix it (or pass it as a bug to the forum software people). 

I only use the mobile app and I'm on an android. It usually happens when I'm not on it and I get a notification so when I click on it to see what happen and immediately reply I get an error message and my comment won't go through, to fix it I have to back out of the post and reopen it. If I don't and keep trying to post it'll keep getting deleted and I'll get that strange error message. I couldn't tell you what it is, it looks mostly like code

• Like 2

I totally forgot to add my two cents to this post. Shame on me! 

So one thing I like and one thing I don’t like. 

Over all the redesign is smooth to use. The blog is also easier to use. When adding a new blogpost all I have to do is drop the pictures right into the post to add them as opposed to before where you had to create an album, upload the pictures there and then link them through the post. Much easier to do. I just wish I would stop being so lazy and add posts more frequently. 

As far as things I don’t like is the fact that when I respond to the same thread, it combines all my responses together. Sometimes I just want to make a post and reply to things that people have said. When my answers are all combined into one is hard to figure out who I’m responding to. 

A second mention would be the desire of having the rating system easier to get to. Right now is too buried in menus and I forget where to go. 

I totally forgot to add my two cents to this post. Shame on me! 

So one thing I like and one thing I don’t like. 

Over all the redesign is smooth to use. The blog is also easier to use. When adding a new blogpost all I have to do is drop the pictures right into the post to add them as opposed to before where you had to create an album, upload the pictures there and then link them through the post. Much easier to do. I just wish I would stop being so lazy and add posts more frequently. 

As far as things I don’t like is the fact that when I respond to the same thread, it combines all my responses together. Sometimes I just want to make a post and reply to things that people have said. When my answers are all combined into one is hard to figure out who I’m responding to. 

A second mention would be the desire of having the rating system easier to get to. Right now is too buried in menus and I forget where to go. 

Thanks Damian. Can you post screen shots of what you're talking about the combined replies?

Also are you talking about the shisha flavor ratings in our blog? 

• Like 1

Thanks Damian. Can you post screen shots of what you're talking about the combined replies?

Also are you talking about the shisha flavor ratings in our blog? 

Hey Nima, 

Yeah I mean the flavor ratings. 

Here's a screenshot of my replies being merged from tonight in the "smoking right now" Thread. http://www.hookah.org/community/topic/1833-smoking-right-now-thread/?page=204

Screen_Shot_2015-09-14_at_1.12.41_AM.thu

Hey Nima, 

Yeah I mean the flavor ratings. 

Here's a screenshot of my replies being merged from tonight in the "smoking right now" Thread. http://www.hookah.org/community/topic/1833-smoking-right-now-thread/?page=204

Screen_Shot_2015-09-14_at_1.12.41_AM.thu

I think the system knows who you are replying to and send an email to them. I'm not sure if this is a new feature or something I can turn on and off. I'll look into it.

Can you start a thread and see what others think about this? Thanks

The mobile is is both my favorite and least, it's simple and quick, but kind of hard to navigate.

Thanks. Hopefully as Tapatalk upgrades their app, the mobile becomes better too

• Like 1

Only a few more days left until the end of the giveaway. I'd love to hear more feedback on our new design 

• Like 2

Hi everyone (who entered the giveaway) 

Please message me your name, mailing address and phone number and I will send you the Hookah.org mug. 

Also thanks for your input. I'll do my best to incorporate them in the design before end of the year. 

• Like 3