Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Head

Strange issues with hookah

Question

So first off I'd like to say that I've been smoking hookah for about a good year, and I've ran into some strange problems that I can't seem to rectify no matter what I do. Starting off with hookah I smoked a lot of starbuzz in a little Maya bambino a friend owned, using the basic lousy ceramic bowl and quick light coals. At that time for awhile I felt like I could always get good big flavor but as I actually started venturing out I've ran into problems with consistency. I've owned a Km silk butterfly for about 8 months now or so and recently got a shika but that's not so important. I've tried a variety of different bowls including a standard Egyptian head, alien mini, 80ft bowl, smaller Egyptian bowl and messed with the shika oblivion bowl a bit too. But anyways, in terms of starbuzz I haven't ever been able to get it smoking to my liking since. And this includes all the really juicy brands like social smoke and fumari or what have you. Despite lots of different packing methods and hole patterns and trying different coals for different heat output (titanium's, coco Nara's and cocobuzz) I still get quite weak flavor. A recent example of this would be my pack of social smoke Arabian nights. It smokes well, big puffy clouds without any harshness or burning but I just don't taste anything (and yes I use washable hoses which I do clean regularly) but even worse was when it came down to nakhla.. I had bad experiences at first when I had less of an understanding of the brand but recently bought 2 50 gram packs of double apple, loaded it up in my 80 feet bowl and I was instantly in love, worked great with the different methods I've tried. So I went ahead and bought 2 250 gram boxes of it, now on my second box and it just will not smoke the same no matter what. This pack is also quite juicy so I would assume its fresh. But again. I can barely get any flavor and when I try to push the heat even a little I just end up burning it. Its so discouraging. The only things I've been able to almost always get to smoke well was mint flavors. Funny enough I just tried Tangier's for the first time with cane mint and actually had great sessions every single time with no trouble setting it up and keeping that longevity going. Sorry if this is such a lengthy post but it's incredibly frustrating and I could really use some help. Maybe I just got bad batches of nakhla? Maybe my pallet has adjusted to al fakher which is stronger than flavor compared to more juicier tobaccos? (Kind of). Yes I forgot to mention I've smoked al fakher for awhile since it was a brand I had an easier time enjoying but still ran into issues with as well but I'm not as worried about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I should also mention, as my name would suggest. I do like mint flavors. Mostly due to the fact that I personally feel as though the menthol will always come through even if you make mistakes setting up your session so its still enjoyable. I've been taking it easy on them to keep my taste buds fresh but I always find myself picking more up just because I get sick of trying different flavors and know mint will always work for me. I should also mention social smoke mint is the only flavor so far that I've had which I could actually enjoy. My only issue with mint flavors as I feel as though theres always something missing, even with trying citrus mixes and such. Hence why I keep looking for and, well.. Trying to get other flavors to work better for me.

24 answers to this question

I think you're problem might not be so much the shisha or the bowls you're getting. It might be a problem with your stem. They're not usually the cheapest things to replace so what I would suggest is going out to a shop and find a small one Hose $10-15 hookah and see how that smokes in comparison. (Btw another recommendation of mine since you said you like mint is to go on hookah-shisha.com go to their fantasia tobacco and look through their fantasia ice shisha's because they all have mint mixed in with their flavors)

So first off I'd like to say that I've been smoking hookah for about a good year, and I've ran into some strange problems that I can't seem to rectify no matter what I do. Starting off with hookah I smoked a lot of starbuzz in a little Maya bambino a friend owned, using the basic lousy ceramic bowl and quick light coals. At that time for awhile I felt like I could always get good big flavor but as I actually started venturing out I've ran into problems with consistency. I've owned a Km silk butterfly for about 8 months now or so and recently got a shika but that's not so important. I've tried a variety of different bowls including a standard Egyptian head, alien mini, 80ft bowl, smaller Egyptian bowl and messed with the shika oblivion bowl a bit too. But anyways, in terms of starbuzz I haven't ever been able to get it smoking to my liking since. And this includes all the really juicy brands like social smoke and fumari or what have you. Despite lots of different packing methods and hole patterns and trying different coals for different heat output (titanium's, coco Nara's and cocobuzz) I still get quite weak flavor. A recent example of this would be my pack of social smoke Arabian nights. It smokes well, big puffy clouds without any harshness or burning but I just don't taste anything (and yes I use washable hoses which I do clean regularly) but even worse was when it came down to nakhla.. I had bad experiences at first when I had less of an understanding of the brand but recently bought 2 50 gram packs of double apple, loaded it up in my 80 feet bowl and I was instantly in love, worked great with the different methods I've tried. So I went ahead and bought 2 250 gram boxes of it, now on my second box and it just will not smoke the same no matter what. This pack is also quite juicy so I would assume its fresh. But again. I can barely get any flavor and when I try to push the heat even a little I just end up burning it. Its so discouraging. The only things I've been able to almost always get to smoke well was mint flavors. Funny enough I just tried Tangier's for the first time with cane mint and actually had great sessions every single time with no trouble setting it up and keeping that longevity going. Sorry if this is such a lengthy post but it's incredibly frustrating and I could really use some help. Maybe I just got bad batches of nakhla? Maybe my pallet has adjusted to al fakher which is stronger than flavor compared to more juicier tobaccos? (Kind of). Yes I forgot to mention I've smoked al fakher for awhile since it was a brand I had an easier time enjoying but still ran into issues with as well but I'm not as worried about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I should also mention, as my name would suggest. I do like mint flavors. Mostly due to the fact that I personally feel as though the menthol will always come through even if you make mistakes setting up your session so its still enjoyable. I've been taking it easy on them to keep my taste buds fresh but I always find myself picking more up just because I get sick of trying different flavors and know mint will always work for me. I should also mention social smoke mint is the only flavor so far that I've had which I could actually enjoy. My only issue with mint flavors as I feel as though theres always something missing, even with trying citrus mixes and such. Hence why I keep looking for and, well.. Trying to get other flavors to work better for me.

Sounds to me like you aren't putting enough heat on your bowls or you have an air leak in your hose or hookah. Try getting a nuhose they are extremely cheap and would test this perfectly. Maybe try a windcover as well and see if that helps.

First off I already said I got another hookah so there's nothing wrong with my stem, I've checked for leaks and I own two nu hoses and one just like it, I also have a wind cover as well, plus like I said in terms of nakhla its a problem where I'll burn it if I push the heat too much.

Sounds to me like you aren't putting enough heat on your bowls or you have an air leak in your hose or hookah. Try getting a nuhose they are extremely cheap and would test this perfectly. Maybe try a windcover as well and see if that helps.

I doubt it is an air leak as Mint Head said that it still gets good clouds. I think that Mint Head should try adding restriction to his hookah. Many people believe that a restricted draw allows the flavor to be stronger as you need to take a longer hit to get equivalent smoke. You can try a hose that isn't so wide, or using a diffuser.

A diffuser sounds interesting, that's something I actually haven't done. Maybe I'll make a ghetto one out of a grommet I have lying around for now or something. I will say that my shika is more restricted with its draw but I have to use it a bit more to comment on that.

First off I already said I got another hookah so there's nothing wrong with my stem, I've checked for leaks and I own two nu hoses and one just like it, I also have a wind cover as well, plus like I said in terms of nakhla its a problem where I'll burn it if I push the heat too much.

Nakhla can take so much heat. It's very resilient. You could have had an expired or old batch like you mentioned. When I smoke Mizo or the ice line I can basically put as much heat as I want. How are you packing your bowls? If I under pack I don't get nearly as much flavor as a semi dense pack.

I start with my 80 feet bowl with a simple fluff over pack, a decent amount over the rim maybe 2/3 of what's in the bowl. Then I gently guide it down slightly under the rim and apply two sheets of foil and take a fumari hole poker and make three rings going straight down. Since I find this makes holes a bit larger I space them out similar to what you would see people do when over packing an Egyptian head and I put none over the spire

I'd also like to note that I added more water to my shika making it about a good inch over the down stem but I just got this hookah so it was something to get used to anyways, the results are a bit better but I still get issues with my km, regardless the smoke is coming through much easier. The flavor is still just barely there though :/ I feel like I may have just got unlucky with all this nakhla I bought and if this is the case then that really steers me away from the brand.

I start with my 80 feet bowl with a simple fluff over pack, a decent amount over the rim maybe 2/3 of what's in the bowl. Then I gently guide it down slightly under the rim and apply two sheets of foil and take a fumari hole poker and make three rings going straight down. Since I find this makes holes a bit larger I space them out similar to what you would see people do when over packing an Egyptian head and I put none over the spire

I'd also like to note that I added more water to my shika making it about a good inch over the down stem but I just got this hookah so it was something to get used to anyways, the results are a bit better but I still get issues with my km, regardless the smoke is coming through much easier. The flavor is still just barely there though :/ I feel like I may have just got unlucky with all this nakhla I bought and if this is the case then that really steers me away from the brand.

When I use the 80 feet the fumari poker doesn't produce big enough holes so I go back with a toothpick and enlarge them. How many coals are you running? I use three cubes.

I use three titanium flats, I don't have any toothpicks right now but what about using an oyster fork? I tried that and didn't get much of a difference in performance

I use three titanium flats, I don't have any toothpicks right now but what about using an oyster fork? I tried that and didn't get much of a difference in performance

Yeah that could work. I like fork sized holes for tangiers.

I'm pretty stumped at this point. The only other thing I do different is use my fumari poker as a roller and flatten my foil till it's perfectly smooth. That's my last tip :/

Well I think it might just be the tobacco itself. I bought the 250 gram boxes and afterwards I heard somewhere else afterwards that they tend to be bad by the time they hit shelves sometimes but couldn't find any other info on that. It would be one thing if I said Ive never gotten flavor from it then I could say its me but that isn't the case, either way its a shame. Some point later on I'll try a couple more sample packs and see how that goes but other than that I've done all I can. In terms of things like social smoke and what not I think that's just the nature of it. Its smokes well and I get weakish flavor but its there. Just not the heavy punch I'm looking for. So I guess a last question I have now would be a lot easier to answer I think. And that's what kind of flavors would anyone recommend that pack more of a punch? I still don't know a lot about Tangier's I've only tried cane mint and plan to get horchata and orange soda, haven't really tried anything by haze besides lemon mint so I don't know what to expect in flavor strength, but yeah to bring the negativity away from this post, any ideas on strong flavors I should try?

Well I think it might just be the tobacco itself. I bought the 250 gram boxes and afterwards I heard somewhere else afterwards that they tend to be bad by the time they hit shelves sometimes but couldn't find any other info on that. It would be one thing if I said Ive never gotten flavor from it then I could say its me but that isn't the case, either way its a shame. Some point later on I'll try a couple more sample packs and see how that goes but other than that I've done all I can. In terms of things like social smoke and what not I think that's just the nature of it. Its smokes well and I get weakish flavor but its there. Just not the heavy punch I'm looking for. So I guess a last question I have now would be a lot easier to answer I think. And that's what kind of flavors would anyone recommend that pack more of a punch? I still don't know a lot about Tangier's I've only tried cane mint and plan to get horchata and orange soda, haven't really tried anything by haze besides lemon mint so I don't know what to expect in flavor strength, but yeah to bring the negativity away from this post, any ideas on strong flavors I should try?

The strongest flavors I know are:

Tangiers fore play on the peach and melon blend

Haze carnival nights, 5cents a cup, and omg.

Starbuzz mighty freeze and pomberry

Hookafina chai latte, pineapple, grapefruit, and sweet nectarine

Fumari just about everything.

There are more but off the top of my head those are the sessions I remember the most.

Interesting, I heard mighty freeze actually wasn't very strong and fumari is an oddball, I had Jasmin once and it was very strong but then I tried orange cream which tested very weak, either way a lot of these sound interesting so thanks, I'll definitely keep them in mind for future orders

Interesting, I heard mighty freeze actually wasn't very strong and fumari is an oddball, I had Jasmin once and it was very strong but then I tried orange cream which tested very weak, either way a lot of these sound interesting so thanks, I'll definitely keep them in mind for future orders

Mighty freeze is a great flavor. People don't give it enough credit. My guess is they use ghosted hoses. I keep mine fresh wash em at least twice a week.

I get what you're saying with orange cream but cream in general I stay clear from, it doesn't do anything for my taste. No matter the brand I dislike the strength.

Interesting, that makes sense as I've had bad experiences with cream and vanilla flavors in general as well. Do you have any opinions on starbuzz apple doppio, black mint, white mint, and Lebanese bombshell in terms of strength? They've been on my to try list for awhile but pricing and past experience has steered me away

Interesting, that makes sense as I've had bad experiences with cream and vanilla flavors in general as well. Do you have any opinions on starbuzz apple doppio, black mint, white mint, and Lebanese bombshell in terms of strength? They've been on my to try list for awhile but pricing and past experience has steered me away

Apple doppio is great. Not as strong as nakhla double Apple but it's up there. As for the mints by starbuzz I couldn't tell ya. Never buy them even when at the lounge. I would never get Lebanese because the smell alone makes me want to run and hide. But hey that's just my taste. I'd go on YouTube and see what others say.

I have, flavor strength is usually something people hardly ever mention or are just vague about it. If apple doppio comes close to nakhla in flavor strength (when I got it smoking right) then it might be a good alternative for me. Its funny you mentioned lounges because I don't go to any since the ones here are mediocre at best, havent been to any myself but from what I here from people I know personally that have, especially ones more experienced with hookah, they sound like the typical ones don't really know what they're doing or don't care. Besides one that sounded okay, just haven't had the chance to visit yet. So I always have to pay out of pocket and get packs of flavors myself instead of sample them somewhere. So it gets really costly and I've definitely wasted a bit of money

I have, flavor strength is usually something people hardly ever mention or are just vague about it. If apple doppio comes close to nakhla in flavor strength (when I got it smoking right) then it might be a good alternative for me. Its funny you mentioned lounges because I don't go to any since the ones here are mediocre at best, havent been to any myself but from what I here from people I know personally that have, especially ones more experienced with hookah, they sound like the typical ones don't really know what they're doing or don't care. Besides one that sounded okay, just haven't had the chance to visit yet. So I always have to pay out of pocket and get packs of flavors myself instead of sample them somewhere. So it gets really costly and I've definitely wasted a bit of money

I think hookahrev did I good review on it if I'm recalling it correctly. I'll have Apple doppio in my stash to show newbies the ways of double Apple seeing as the licorice/anise note is very light. It's great for mixes or straight up.

I get what you're saying about lounges. For years I wouldn't waste the money. I can load a pretty damn good bowl myself but now I love going out and seeing what others have to say about mixes and hookah as a whole. I'm lucky enough to have starbuzz and social smoke branded lounges here that really know what to do.

Fumari and tangiers lounge is about 5 hours away from me as well so there's always that too.

If I were in your situation id hit up yelp and see what others say about the lounges in your area. Then go during a discount time or day like happy hour or set price range for all you can smoke. I've got to try loads of flavors Id never buy this way.

It does suck that so many places don't know what they're doing at all though. I feel that pain. Haha

Yeah I don't have anything like that nearby, just regular bars owned by regular people. But yeah I'll just keep messing with this nakhla since I already have it and see till I decide to get more tobacco. Gonna keep this post and look back for reference too and probably look some of those flavors up

Actually I just packed up my mandarin which I had trouble with as well, I got the three pack deal on hookah-shisha so I got this with double apple. I actually tried packing it like Tangier's which I've tried before and the sweet citrus flavor is coming through quite well and this stuff is dry, I actually probably packed this harder than I do tangiers. So far its the best result I've had with these boxes so maybe itll work with the double apple, its not a ton of flavor but its a start. So much for the videos saying "just put it in" at least for me xD

Okay, I think I know what it is now, I tried packing the double apple the same exact way and again it's much better, although I'm only getting a subtle hint of the sweet apples flavor I got the last time the licorice is coming through well. Honestly I think either it has to do with my taste buds or the inconsistencies of this double Apple I heard about, because I heard the flavor is inconsistent per batch and sometimes you don't even taste the apples. That's what I think happened here. Honestly I feel guilty for making this post and spamming the hell out of it xD. Sorry about that, that's not what I'm trying to be about. I'm sure it can be a but of a nuisance when someone joins a forum and immediately starts asking questions. But I do like the forum overall, I've read a few of the posts and it seems like a good community

Okay, I think I know what it is now, I tried packing the double apple the same exact way and again it's much better, although I'm only getting a subtle hint of the sweet apples flavor I got the last time the licorice is coming through well. Honestly I think either it has to do with my taste buds or the inconsistencies of this double Apple I heard about, because I heard the flavor is inconsistent per batch and sometimes you don't even taste the apples. That's what I think happened here. Honestly I feel guilty for making this post and spamming the hell out of it xD. Sorry about that, that's not what I'm trying to be about. I'm sure it can be a but of a nuisance when someone joins a forum and immediately starts asking questions. But I do like the forum overall, I've read a few of the posts and it seems like a good community

We are a very helping and welcome forum. So you do not have to worry about asking questions. =) ive been smoking for almost 3 years now, worked at a hookah lounge and i still ask questions that are out of my expertise. I my self am a huge Al Fakher smoker and other than cane mint or mizo mint youll only find my smoking that brand. I saw earlier you wear asking about some starbuzz flavours and i may be able to help. The apple dippio or what ever is called to me is a very light double apple flavour. Mighty freeze is one of few starbuzz flavours that is strong and ill actually get from time to time. Lebanese bomshell i have never tried but just by smelling it i would imagine it tasting like bark from a tree. I am not willing to try that at all.

Too bad, if apple doppio really is light then I suppose it would explain why people who don't like anise like that flavor, I really didn't even think yo try mighty freeze before you guys mentioned it but if its really worth mentioning then I'll have to go ahead and try it out, funny enough I haven't gotten around to trying mizo mint yet. If Lebanese bombshell tastes like that then I may like it, I've had AF gumastic and that tasted like how a pine tree smells to me, if that makes sense lol